Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Communicating with INS

Communicating with INS

Old Nov 8th 2001, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

andyb is an unknown quantity at this point

I just have one word of advice for anyone dealing with INS.... make sure you document every single communication with them...copy every single document sent & received and send every single letter you mail to them certified so somebody signs for it.

Earlier this year I had my work permit voided and my case closed because INS made a mistake in sending mail to the wrong address and so we didn't receive it. The only mistake we made was not having signed receipts for letters and thorough copies of everything. Even though it was their mistake and we had submitted all the correct paperwork through the correct procedures they gave us a hard time because we didn't have names and signatures for INS officials who had dealt with our case.

Fortunately it was resolved but not after a few months of being unable to work.

Be prepared for everything. Keep complete records.

Andrew

Old Nov 8th 2001, 10:34 pm
David Robinson

I must agree , one of our files was lost " in the mail" and one of our notice letters
did not come. They charged us all the fees again and treated us like we were lying
about everything and were never intending to comply. We had to start over and get a
lawyer because of the mail and the fact that you can't check your own files. I still
think they received them and denied it .I just know that letter is in the file,( but
they won't let you check.) I'll bet that notice is there too, unmailed and it was
never even sent to us. Then they insulted my wife and called her illegal for not
being current by missing the meeting we were not notified about and now we are at the
bottom of the list again and all our documentations are expiring and have to be
redone as too old. They loose nothing, we loose. Try to complain and they will loose
something else to show you .

May the Lord bless you and keep you safe, From Ranger-Dave Robinson.
http://community.webtv.net/Ranger-Dave/RangerNotesFrom

Old Nov 9th 2001, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

andyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Dave,

Sounds very familiar to me! I would also suggest contacting your local congressman. They were very helpful and once they became involved INS stopped treating us like we were lying or something. Our problems were increased by my wife not being able to work due to illness as she was awaiting surgery and once the Congressman's office got involved we kinda became recognized as 'victims' of the paper chase and people started helping. BUT if there is just one document out of place everything becomes very difficult regardless of on who's end it is out of place. The crazy thing is they actually sent my interview notice to an old address yet I had already received 2 renewed work permits at our new address!!!!

Andrew
Old Nov 13th 2001, 2:06 pm
Gregory F Smith

As far as communicating with the INS. This problem is a two sided issue. For example:
If you submit a I-485 in 1999 and later then submit an I-131 in 2001, don't assume
that they have the correct address for the I-485. The I-485 is processed by the local
office and may then be submitted to a Service Center for final adjudication at any
time during that two years or even later. Whereas some forms such as the I-131 are
sent directly to the service center.

Remember it is your responsibility to notify the various offices of address changes,
including those for all forms you have. The easiest way to do this to to phone in and
ask the Officer to change all the addresses on the forms for you. Also ask them what
forms they have pending for you at the same time and have those changed.

You could also send a letter to the INS office and list the address change along with
all of the forms you have filed. Remember to include your "A" number as well.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 13th 2001, 2:06 pm
Gregory F Smith

As far as communicating with the INS. This problem is a two sided issue. For example:
If you submit a I-485 in 1999 and later then submit an I-131 in 2001, don't assume
that they have the correct address for the I-485. The I-485 is processed by the local
office and may then be submitted to a Service Center for final adjudication at any
time during that two years or even later. Whereas some forms such as the I-131 are
sent directly to the service center.

Remember it is your responsibility to notify the various offices of address changes,
including those for all forms you have. The easiest way to do this to to phone in and
ask the Officer to change all the addresses on the forms for you. Also ask them what
forms they have pending for you at the same time and have those changed.

You could also send a letter to the INS office and list the address change along with
all of the forms you have filed. Remember to include your "A" number as well.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 15th 2001, 10:27 pm
David Robinson

How do you actually call and talk to anyone at INS ? I have tried many times and it
is one big recording with endless "push this now" type directions. I have never
reached a human being. In a real emergency there is no way to call anyone to help.

May the Lord bless you and keep you safe, From Ranger-Dave Robinson.
http://community.webtv.net/Ranger-Dave/RangerNotesFrom