Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Co-sponsors....

Co-sponsors....

Old Oct 16th 2003, 5:59 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future
Default Co-sponsors....

Hello,

Im back with yet more visa related queries (which incidently I am also posting on visa forums).

Just wondered, seeing as we are now gonna get a co-sponsor just in case......

Its gonna be my father in law. He earns over $50000 a year, so no need to put down his assets, but will we need docs on his wife (my wifes mom) seeing as they are married? They also have a son who lives with them, but he is 19 years old? Does that require anything???

Im not too familar with co-sponsors seeing as we have only just decided to get one.

Lastly, what will we require for him?

affidavit of support
pay slips
3 tax year returns - will photocopies suffice
birth cert - will photocopy suffice

Many thanks guy for all your help
Lee

...driving everyone in the forum mad with questions
Old Oct 16th 2003, 8:29 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Co-sponsors....

Originally posted by waxwabbit
affidavit of support
pay slips
It's been a long time since we did this, forgot much of it.
But yes on all of the above.
Get the copies of the tax returns and birth certificate notorised.
Pay slips.... can't remember... I will say yes and notorised photocopies.
Check the website and AOS forms, they will have the instructions.

Webbie.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 10:03 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Co-sponsors....

Hello,

Im back with yet more visa related queries (which incidently I am also posting on visa forums).

Just wondered, seeing as we are now gonna get a co-sponsor just in case......

Its gonna be my father in law. He earns over $50000 a year, so no need to put down his assets, but will we need docs on his wife (my wifes mom) seeing as they are married? They also have a son who lives with them, but he is 19 years old? Does that require anything???

Im not too familar with co-sponsors seeing as we have only just decided to get one.

Lastly, what will we require for him?

affidavit of support
pay slips

Many thanks guy for all your help
Lee

...driving everyone in the forum mad with questions
Dont forget that each household memebr has to be counted in the total. so it sounds like a household of 5 in your case assuming you have no kids. thats needs $26,925 per annum income to be above the poverty line as far as i can tell from the latest INS guidelines.

Basically you need the above to prove he has the money and is a US Citizen. I think you need an original or a certifed copy of either birth cert or US passport. also you will need the original tax returns and the documents must be signed and notirized by a notary public if the co sponsor wont be at the embassy with you to sign the I-864 in front of the embassy official.

regards,

Duncan
Old Oct 20th 2003, 12:20 am
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

cheers duncan

what docs need to be notorized, and is this even for all original docs?

ta

Lee
Old Oct 21st 2003, 5:12 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

cheers duncan

what docs need to be notorized, and is this even for all original docs?

ta

Lee
From memory with ours we got it all notarisedjust in case but i think the main one needed is the signature of the co sponsor on the I-864 form. That definately must be signed in fronty of a witness and notarised by a notary public or embassy official.

The other docs are ok if they are originals but we did it just in case as the Notary Public was already doing the I-864 anyhow.

hope that helps,

regards,

Duncan
Old Oct 21st 2003, 5:47 pm
Wabbit Lord

thanks Duncan

I emailed the embassy, and they confirmed what you said.

if the birth cert/pay slips/w2s are originals then all that needs notorizing is the affidavit.

Many thanks

also, I even sent them the amounts for my wifes tax returns for the last 3 years and they advised us to get a co sponsor! Well done guys for suggesting it, coz I thought we'd be fine!

Byeeee

Lee
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 5:18 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

thanks Duncan

I emailed the embassy, and they confirmed what you said.

if the birth cert/pay slips/w2s are originals then all that needs notorizing is the affidavit.

Many thanks

also, I even sent them the amounts for my wifes tax returns for the last 3 years and they advised us to get a co sponsor! Well done guys for suggesting it, coz I thought we'd be fine!

Byeeee

Lee
Glad to help where possible.

Hope your interview goes well i am sure it will. Good luck with your move to the USA it is a culture shock but if you are with one you love you get through it. Enjoy your life in the new world.

regards,

Duncan