Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Old Jul 11th 2017, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Originally Posted by Steve_
The other benefits are meaningless if you live abroad.

I asked this further back, if you retire after April 2016, you need 35 years worth of contributions so fill in as many missing years as you can now while you can do it using Class 2.

Just one point about Class 3 - it's more expensive but you don't have to be employed to contribute to Class 3. Anyone who has three years worth of Class 1 NI can contribute to Class 3 if they live abroad. Which will be the next thing they crack down on.
I thought rule was that a minimum of three years had to be contributed, whether class I or Class 3 ?
Old Aug 28th 2017, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I sent off the application to pay class 2 NICs a couple of months ago for myself and my wife. Just got them back this week.

Mine was approved and it showed a shortfall dating back to 2006-2007 that I can pay (about £1500 total for 11 years of class 2). It also states I am paid up for 26 years. However, my online statement shows if I contribute another 6 years, I'll reach the maximum pension even though that would only be 32 years. I was contracted out for several years.

So, do I pay 6 years as indicated by the statement, 9 years to reach 35 years or all 11 years available?

What is the best way to pay considering I only have a US bank account? I don't see any option with my bank (regions) to do an online payment to the UK. https://www.gov.uk/pay-voluntary-cla...e/bank-details shows how to pay from overseas but has anybody used this? I would need to go into a branch to set it up and what exchange rate to use? I'm nervous of sending a couple of grand into a non-descript account with no way to track/verify. A post earlier in this thread said their payment disappeared into the ether never to be seen again.

My wife's application was denied because she said she would not be working in the US when we arrived (H4). That question is a bit misleading. However, she has been working for several years now. I called the hotline and they said to re-submit the form with details of her current employment and they would re-assess.
Update:

I made a payment by wire transfer on July 13th which should cover around 6 years' of past contributions but the payment has not yet hit my NI account (six weeks later).

Typically, how long does it take for them to process and for it to appear on my record?
Old Aug 28th 2017, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I got a notification in the post that the extra contributions had been added. I think I got that after 6 to 8 weeks. You can always call them to check.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I got a notification in the post that the extra contributions had been added. I think I got that after 6 to 8 weeks. You can always call them to check.
Tried calling today... Bank Holiday.

Will try again tomorrow.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Next week it's labor day for us and no holiday in the UK. Always useful if you can't call from work.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Update:

I made a payment by wire transfer on July 13th which should cover around 6 years' of past contributions but the payment has not yet hit my NI account (six weeks later).

Typically, how long does it take for them to process and for it to appear on my record?
My experience is it can take 3 to 6 weeks BUT definitely call : amazingly if the sum received doesn't meet their particular criteria, or is received without instructions, they have to manually adjust. SO it could be reflected on their records, but they haven't applied to particular years.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by morpeth
My experience is it can take 3 to 6 weeks BUT definitely call : amazingly if the sum received doesn't meet their particular criteria, or is received without instructions, they have to manually adjust. SO it could be reflected on their records, but they haven't applied to particular years.
I spoke to them before I sent it and told them which years I was sending. They noted it on my file.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I spoke to them before I sent it and told them which years I was sending. They noted it on my file.
I respect your faith in bureaucracy, I was told the same- but called back to check if applied correctly.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

texasbound is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just logged into the site where you can check your UK State pension forecast. We left the UK 3+ years ago and can see that the years 14-15 and 15-16 are not complete, but when I click in it says for both years a payment of £722.80 is needed. Was expecting ~~£100 for Class 3.

Can someone help explain whats going on?

thanks
Old Aug 29th 2017, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by texasbound
I have just logged into the site where you can check your UK State pension forecast. We left the UK 3+ years ago and can see that the years 14-15 and 15-16 are not complete, but when I click in it says for both years a payment of £722.80 is needed. Was expecting ~~£100 for Class 3.

Can someone help explain whats going on?

thanks
Class 2 would be around £145. The number above will be class 3.

You would need to apply to pay at the class 2 level (assuming you qualify).

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ty-abroad-ni38

Last edited by chawkins99; Aug 29th 2017 at 5:14 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by morpeth
I respect your faith in bureaucracy, I was told the same- but called back to check if applied correctly.
I called this morning. They confirmed they have received it but it has not been applied to my record yet. They said it would be done today.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

texasbound is an unknown quantity at this point

Class 2 would be around £160. The number above will be class 3.

You would need to apply to pay at the class 2 level (assuming you qualify).

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ty-abroad-ni38

OK, that is starting to make sense, thanks for the clarification
Old Aug 29th 2017, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by texasbound
OK, that is starting to make sense, thanks for the clarification
Fixed above post. Class 2 is actually £145.60.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 5:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Fixed above post. Class 2 is actually £145.60.
It varies by £1-£3 each year, sometimes downwards.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 29th 2017 at 5:27 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I paid my N I Conts when working in barbarous places overseas, It paid off 0 got my State Retirement Pension when the time came. Now reaping the rewards of a righteous life and forgetting that advice from proverbs - "Pride goeth before a fall.,"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.