Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Citizenship issue

Citizenship issue

Old May 9th 2006, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

njexpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship issue

I had my N400 interview last week and successfully got through. However, they made it subject to one issue to clear which is proving troublesome. I was previously fingerprinted twice as they were having difficulty getting a good enough set of fingerprints to run a search on. I assumed that the second set worked as I didn't hear anything.

However, at my interview they said that they hadn't worked and I would have to provide ceritificates of good conduct from the police in the municipalities where I've lived for the last 5 years. The officer made out as though this was easy.

However, one of the three places I lived said that they did not issue certificates of good conduct as a matter of policy - only issue them to people leaving the country (?!?!). Anyway, not quite sure how to proceed and have been given a deadline of June 1st to submit the information. I tried contacting the officer and have had no response. I have already burned a lot of time on this and am getting nowhere fast. Any suggestions or has this happened to anyone in the past?
Old May 9th 2006, 6:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship issue

Get an official letter (from the country's consulate in D.C.?) explaining that they do not provide certificates of good conduct or rap sheets for your particular circumstances. Send that to the officer complete with a sworn affidavit from yourself attesting to when you lived in that country and that you did not commit any offences while in that country.
Old May 9th 2006, 6:26 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. Also involve your senator in your quest.

http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm
Old May 10th 2006, 1:32 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njexpat
...... one of the three places I lived said that they did not issue certificates of good conduct as a matter of policy .....
'Nother state?, nother country?
Old May 10th 2006, 1:46 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njexpat
I had my N400 interview last week and successfully got through. However, they made it subject to one issue to clear which is proving troublesome. I was previously fingerprinted twice as they were having difficulty getting a good enough set of fingerprints to run a search on. I assumed that the second set worked as I didn't hear anything.

However, at my interview they said that they hadn't worked and I would have to provide ceritificates of good conduct from the police in the municipalities where I've lived for the last 5 years. The officer made out as though this was easy.

However, one of the three places I lived said that they did not issue certificates of good conduct as a matter of policy - only issue them to people leaving the country (?!?!). Anyway, not quite sure how to proceed and have been given a deadline of June 1st to submit the information. I tried contacting the officer and have had no response. I have already burned a lot of time on this and am getting nowhere fast. Any suggestions or has this happened to anyone in the past?
Your story reminded me of my fingerprint appointment where the USCIS staff had incredibly difficulty getting good, clear fingerprints off me. At one point, she was twisting my hand in a very uncomfortable manner so I resisted. She told me not to resist but it was uncomfortable and I told her so. In the end, she got what I wanted but if she'd told me exactly what she wanted early on, I could have twisted my hand myself to get a good set of prints...

NC Penguin
Old May 10th 2006, 3:04 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Your story reminded me of my fingerprint appointment where the USCIS staff had incredibly difficulty getting good, clear fingerprints off me. At one point, she was twisting my hand in a very uncomfortable manner so I resisted. She told me not to resist but it was uncomfortable and I told her so. In the end, she got what I wanted but if she'd told me exactly what she wanted early on, I could have twisted my hand myself to get a good set of prints...

NC Penguin
Rumor has it that under proposed new laws they'll simply remove the unprintable digits, to avoid future problems.
Old May 10th 2006, 3:35 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Rumor has it that under proposed new laws they'll simply remove the unprintable digits, to avoid future problems.
Can you see this? I'm giving you the finger!

NC Penguin
Old May 10th 2006, 5:28 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Your story reminded me of my fingerprint appointment where the USCIS staff had incredibly difficulty getting good, clear fingerprints off me. ...
But I thought they already got you.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05..._fraud_jailed/
Old May 10th 2006, 7:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

...... She told me not to resist ...... I could have twisted my hand myself to get a good set of prints.
Having been fingerprinted four times (four sets of ten, plus "hand prints" of fingers side-by-side) I eventually worked out that you simply have to relax and let the person taking the prints move your hand - I have tried, and failed to do it myself, it seems that they are instructed to manipulate your hand, awkward though it is.

Now I am just about to submit my citizenship application, so I'll have to go through it all again!