Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

CITIZENSHIP FOR CHILD

CITIZENSHIP FOR CHILD

Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:22 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CITIZENSHIP FOR CHILD

Originally Posted by jon_nyc
Sorry to bump an old thread but I have the same question. I'm a UK citizen living in the US, my daughter was born in the US and is 6 (never registered her birth with UK consul) and she has a US passport which she has used to travel to the UK.

We would like to get a UK passport for her, and to me it reads as though we have to send her US passport with the application? I'm a little reluctant to do this in case it gets lost or held up in the system for a long time though I'll do it if it's obligatory. But I don't really see why issuing a UK passport should depend on seeing a foreign passport, especially since a child may not have one anyway??
I sent a photocopy of my sons existing US passport photo page when I applied for his first solo UK passport, he'd been on mine since birth and we waited for that to expire before getting him a UK one of his own. I hadn't sent anything originally, but got a phone call asking that I fax it in so I did. Maybe the photocopy route will work for you too.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

jon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I sent a photocopy of my sons existing US passport photo page when I applied for his first solo UK passport, he'd been on mine since birth and we waited for that to expire before getting him a UK one of his own. I hadn't sent anything originally, but got a phone call asking that I fax it in so I did. Maybe the photocopy route will work for you too.
THanks for the info. If anyone can confirm this is standard procedure, that would be great!
Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:12 am
Just Joined

SwindonLad is an unknown quantity at this point

THanks for the info. If anyone can confirm this is standard procedure, that would be great!
When I applied for my daughter's UK passport I sent in her US passport as well. All returned without a hitch.

As closure to my earleir post in this thread about recording my daughter's birth, I ended up providing both birth certificates with the application and just writing in our occupations at the time my daughter was born without any other documentation to support this information. Got the certificate without any problem.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

jon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SwindonLad
When I applied for my daughter's UK passport I sent in her US passport as well. All returned without a hitch.
Thanks. I'm sure in at least 99/100 cases there is no problem but it would be a pain if you're the 1/100 especially if it means you can't travel.

I would really like to hear from someone official, or closely familiar with the legal side of it, why the UK government needs to see my daughter's US passport at all. I can't see how it helps in proving her eligibility for a UK passport, and I also don't see how it is any of their business to be honest. It doesn't bother me to the point where I would not send it, but it doesn't feel quite right to me.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 11:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I'm sure in at least 99/100 cases there is no problem but it would be a pain if you're the 1/100 especially if it means you can't travel.

I would really like to hear from someone official, or closely familiar with the legal side of it, why the UK government needs to see my daughter's US passport at all. I can't see how it helps in proving her eligibility for a UK passport, and I also don't see how it is any of their business to be honest. It doesn't bother me to the point where I would not send it, but it doesn't feel quite right to me.
They don't need to see it. They just like to see a copy as proof of ID.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
They don't need to see it. They just like to see a copy as proof of ID.
First off, mainly I registered here for info about documents needed for applying for a UK passport for my daughter and thanks to everyone for responding

If the other side of it is inappropriate for this forum then I will gladly shut up, but once I'd posted my inner libertarian (think Tony Benn not Ron Paul ) started questioning the foreign passport requirement as something which isn't really a proof of ID, since she wouldn't be less eligible if she didn't have one, but seemingly more as a way for the UK government to keep track of people. And they will have the US passport number whether it's the real thing or a copy.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:00 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly says photocopy is ok:
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...port-documents
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

First off, mainly I registered here for info about documents needed for applying for a UK passport for my daughter and thanks to everyone for responding

If the other side of it is inappropriate for this forum then I will gladly shut up, but once I'd posted my inner libertarian (think Tony Benn not Ron Paul ) started questioning the foreign passport requirement as something which isn't really a proof of ID, since she wouldn't be less eligible if she didn't have one, but seemingly more as a way for the UK government to keep track of people. And they will have the US passport number whether it's the real thing or a copy.
My understanding of the process is as follows, and you can choose whether to believe it or not.

When someone applies for a British passport - either in the UK or overseas, but especially overseas - Consular staff need to be satisfied not just that there is a claim to British citizenship, but that the applicant is the same person as referred to on the relevant birth/naturalisation documents. Bear in mind that anyone can obtain a UK birth certificate, for example.

One of the ways they do this is by looking for local proof of ID - passport, driving licence, residence card, etc. The reason for this is that if you are in Country X, is is usually harder to create a false identity with the Country X authorities. So if someone from the USA claims to be the same person born on a particular date in Britain in 1962, it helps a lot if they have a USA passport and driving licence in the same name and showing consistent information on date and place of birth.

In some cases, especially with people who show up as adults applying for a first British passport, proof of local current ID isn't enough (more so in countries with lax standards). In these cases, consular staff may also look for past evidence that someone used a particular name as a child, for example, original school reports.

There is no right of appeal if refused a British passport because proof of ID isn't good enough. However, there is an alternative approach, which is to apply for a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode, and if this is refused, you can appeal to a tribunal or failing that, the courts.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Great, thanks! I was looking at the C2 instructions .pdf which aren't so explicit.

Thanks for your long reply also. I do get the ID proof thing despite acting obtuse, but still as a parent and 100% sure that my daughter qualifies, a part of me is disturbed that the extra burden of proof is on me - the UK govt. is elected and is responsible to us rather than vice versa (IMO) and so also (IMO) I think a UK passport is a right not a privilege provided you qualify.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:12 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i think that Deans point is worth re-iterating. IF you intend to shell out every 5-10 years to keep a valid british passport for the baby/kid/teen/adult - then the consular report is not necessary.

IF however - you decide to ever let a few years slide without renewing a british passport - to save some bucks - because after all the person has a valid US passport - then the consular cert could be very useful to start a fresh passport application at some point in the future.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 9:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by MsElui
i think that Deans point is worth re-iterating. IF you intend to shell out every 5-10 years to keep a valid british passport for the baby/kid/teen/adult - then the consular report is not necessary.

IF however - you decide to ever let a few years slide without renewing a british passport - to save some bucks - because after all the person has a valid US passport - then the consular cert could be very useful to start a fresh passport application at some point in the future.

A consular birth certificate can also help get a new passport more quickly if passport is ever lost or stolen. Do you really trust the British government to keep good passport records? We know that birth records have to be kept, I am not so sure about passport records. And even if a record of the passport is kept somewhere, it could take weeks to retrieve.

But I guess some people prefer complexity in life over simplicity ...

Last edited by JAJ; Apr 5th 2010 at 9:14 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

What about if you were born in the USA to a British mother, but she never registered your birth or got you a British passport and your now in your twenties? Can you still apply for a British passport/birth certificate?
Old Apr 21st 2010, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I got the consular cert just this week from Washington.

It's funny to see the contrast. Our son was born in the UK so we had to take him to the US Embassy to get his US citizenship straightened out. He got this great looking document with "Consular Report of Birth Abroad" emblazened across it.

Now our daughter was born in the US so we needed to get the Brit equivalent.

We got a British Birth certificate with "Born in the British Districts" crudely crossed out and "Registered in Washington" written off to the side.

A few hundred dollars for that? Absolute bargain
Old Apr 21st 2010, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Alright, a few posts on this thread might have persuaded me to stop my procrastinating (nearly 4 years!) and get on and register my daughter. I see the way to go is via this page:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...tering-a-birth

I see there is one 100 pound charge for the registration and then another 65 for the certificate. I take it everyone who has done this splashed out of the certificate as well?
Old Apr 21st 2010, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Alright, a few posts on this thread might have persuaded me to stop my procrastinating (nearly 4 years!) and get on and register my daughter. I see the way to go is via this page:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...tering-a-birth

I see there is one 100 pound charge for the registration and then another 65 for the certificate. I take it everyone who has done this splashed out of the certificate as well?
Yeah. What you get is the rather comedic bit of paper I described above, but a clearly useful document.

I like the idea that when our daughter is 20 or whatever and feels the need to spend a Summer in Italy or a year in Spain, she just can. That's why I eventually did it, though I think the costs involved are a little ridiculous.

The US prices are at the link below:

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...-registration/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.