Reload this Page >

CITIZENSHIP FOR CHILD

CITIZENSHIP FOR CHILD

Old Aug 2nd 2009, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

joeyreider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CITIZENSHIP FOR CHILD

Hi,
I was hoping that somebody would be able to tell me how I get British citizenship for my 13 month old daughter. She was born in the US and her Father is American so she automatically got US citizenship, but I am British and may one day return to England so would like her to be duel nationality.

I have tried traulling through the UKBA website but can only find forms for if the child is less than 12months and unfortunately we have just passed that.
Thanks!
Jo
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 6:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CITIZENSHIP FOR CHILD

Originally Posted by joeyreider
Hi,
I was hoping that somebody would be able to tell me how I get British citizenship for my 13 month old daughter. She was born in the US and her Father is American so she automatically got US citizenship, but I am British and may one day return to England so would like her to be duel nationality.

I have tried traulling through the UKBA website but can only find forms for if the child is less than 12months and unfortunately we have just passed that.
Thanks!
Jo
If you were born in the United Kingdom she is British already => just apply for a British consular birth certificate and British passport from the Embassy.

You should also get your own US citizenship once eligible.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Alistair is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I am in a very similar position - I (father) am British (born there to British parents), married to an American, living in USA. My eldest daughter got both UK and USA passports four years ago, and all we filled out was a one page "registering the birth of a child outside UK" form and the passport form (C2) - a few weeks later we got a certificate of citizenship (no sure of the exact name of this certificate) and a UK passport.

We have a second daughter, now 13 months old, and I printed the same forms out about 6 months ago, but didn't get them sent off - stupid, I know. Looking online now to check the fees I cannot find that one page form, only form MN1, which is 16 pages long. If that's what is needed then I will happily fill that out, but I don't want to send in the wrong forms. From what I have read, my daughter is automatically a British citizen, so I don't need form MN1, but I don't know whether I can just send the passport form C2? To further complicate matters, the one page form I printed was dated November 2008, but form MN1 is dated April 2008.

I would very much appreciate any advice on exactly which forms are necessary.

On a connected note, does anyone know the best way to apply for British Citizenship for my US citizen wife? We just got back from a visit to England and now she is talking about moving to England for a few years, so I guess it would be smart to get her citizenship sorted out.

Thanks in advance for any help
Alistair
Old Aug 4th 2009, 4:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alistair
Hi

On a connected note, does anyone know the best way to apply for British Citizenship for my US citizen wife? We just got back from a visit to England and now she is talking about moving to England for a few years, so I guess it would be smart to get her citizenship sorted out.

Thanks in advance for any help
Alistair
Yup, have her reside in the UK under the proper visa and at the time she is eligible to apply, have her apply for her British natualization.

She is not automatically entitled to it because of marriage to you.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alistair
From what I have read, my daughter is automatically a British citizen, so I don't need form MN1, but I don't know whether I can just send the passport form C2?
I'm in a similar situation and looked into it:

"Although we welcome applications to register the birth of children born in the USA to British-born parents, you should be aware that this is not obligatory. A registration certificate is a useful document to help establish a child's British nationality, but it is perfectly acceptable to apply directly for a British passport, without first registering the birth."

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...-registration/

I plan to go straight for the passport, since the birth registration doesn't appear to do very much.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Alistair is an unknown quantity at this point

That's great information - thank you both. So glad that the one page form still exists! I am not sure what the benefit of registering the birth is, but as my wife just pointed out, easier to apply now that have to explain to the second child why we only registered the first-born!
Old Aug 4th 2009, 6:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79

I plan to go straight for the passport, since the birth registration doesn't appear to do very much.
It's handy getting done though....the value in it will be years down the line if a passport is lost and your dead for instance....registered birth would be the easiest way of proof of citizenship....it's a massive ball ache starting the evidence chain from scratch other wise.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 6:21 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

It's certainly a total rip-off for the work involved. But it's a second proof of citizenship which your child may need one day as the wake up with a hangover on a Thai beech during their gap year and find their passport has been nicked. Do it for the children, please!
Old Aug 4th 2009, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Goodness, I've got people suggesting I'm going to die soon and that my daughter is going to wake up drunk on a beach... at least I know what you all think of me

All valid points and I probably will end up doing it... another $160 or so... doh!

Our first was born in the UK, and the US Consular Report of Birth Abroad was a requirement for the US passport, which saved a debate.

Thanks for the advice!
Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Goodness, I've got people suggesting I'm going to die soon and that my daughter is going to wake up drunk on a beach... at least I know what you all think of me
Gotta have some aspirations to live up to

But yeah, it's a pain, worth doing, but at least it is something you can put off for a while.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: CITIZENSHIP FOR CHILD

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It's certainly a total rip-off for the work involved. But it's a second proof of citizenship which your child may need one day as the wake up with a hangover on a Thai beech during their gap year and find their passport has been nicked. Do it for the children, please!
Fat-Brit, you're not suggesting that we rip you off surely?

Seriously though, once upon a time it made perfect sense to get a consular birth certificate. Now, and as long as you continue to maintain a British passport, our (electronic) records will show whether you are entitled to receive a replacement passport should it get stolen or lost. The decision is up to the customer though and if they feel better getting a consular birth certificate, we're happy to help.

Dean
Old Aug 7th 2009, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but was hoping that Dean could help me out. Situation very similar.

So this thread has motivated me to finally get a British Passport for my now 2 year old daughter. She was born in the US to British Mother (by birth) and British Father (by descent). She has had a USA passport since 1 week old (don't ask - Australia trip at 10 days old!)

The USA passport has so far been all that we have needed for her, and I'm merely getting a UK passport so we can be assured that she is recognised as a British Citizen. We did not register the birth with the Consulate at the time. We travel internationally a lot (shame on my carbon footprint) so can't give up her US passport.

My questions are:
1. Should I even bother with a passport or just go for the birth registration since this doesn't expire? (and can I even do this now she is 2.5).
2. Assuming that I go for a passport, I should fill out C2 form - right? In section 3, I'm asked to attach her existing passport. Am I really supposed to include her US passport here? I can't do that since I need it for her to travel (i can't risk it being held up in the hideous processing times). And I'm told I need to fill out an LS01 which is irrelevant since this is for losing a British passport.

Confused, and wondering if this is merely going to stall me getting a British passport for her for another 3 years.

Advice appreciated.

jackattack
Old Aug 7th 2009, 6:28 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by British Consul
Fat-Brit, you're not suggesting that we rip you off surely?
If the we is royal, yes.
If personal, no.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:02 am
Just Joined

SwindonLad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
It's handy getting done though....the value in it will be years down the line if a passport is lost and your dead for instance....registered birth would be the easiest way of proof of citizenship....it's a massive ball ache starting the evidence chain from scratch other wise.
I have just received an updated PA birth certificate for my US born daughter as the original one provided lacked much of the information requested for the Consular certificate (e.g., hospital, etc.). However, the "occupation" for both my wife and me is stated as "unrecorded". Will this be a problem on the application or do I need to provide other documentation that would address this data need? If so, what would such documentation look like?

Also I believe they require a birth certificate that was issued within a certain number of days post birth (90?); while my original certificate meets this need the second birth certificate shows an issue date of a few days ago (daughter is 13 yo). Should I provide both certificates with my application to meet this requirement?

I appreciate any guidance.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

jon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to alljon_nyc is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jackattack
2. Assuming that I go for a passport, I should fill out C2 form - right? In section 3, I'm asked to attach her existing passport. Am I really supposed to include her US passport here?
Sorry to bump an old thread but I have the same question. I'm a UK citizen living in the US, my daughter was born in the US and is 6 (never registered her birth with UK consul) and she has a US passport which she has used to travel to the UK.

We would like to get a UK passport for her, and to me it reads as though we have to send her US passport with the application? I'm a little reluctant to do this in case it gets lost or held up in the system for a long time though I'll do it if it's obligatory. But I don't really see why issuing a UK passport should depend on seeing a foreign passport, especially since a child may not have one anyway??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.