Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Wikiposts

Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Libby75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Originally Posted by md95065
Well, this probably isn't very helpful, but the place where I want to live is the place where I do live - Santa Cruz, CA - a small (60,000 people) "city" on the coast about 80 miles south of San Francisco.

I suppose I was one of the very lucky people who had never really considered moving to the US but who ended up here anyway. As a result of some contacts that I made while working in the UK I was offered a job in California - I went out to visit and immediately felt very much "at home" (much more so than I had ever felt in the UK) so I accepted the offer and moved here a few months later (H1-B visas didn't take very long to get back in those days). That was 26 years ago and I have been here ever since.

If I *hadn't* had that instant reaction of feeling "at home" I would probably not have made the move.
Definitely helpful, thank you

As stated in another post, I too feel somehow feel more at home when in various parts of the US.

Can you tell me a little about your 26 years? Is my wish for a warm community merely a dream or does it exist? Have you integrated well and have a good social circle?
Old Jan 27th 2013, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I've lived in this house for 15 years....the last time I spoke to one of my neighbours was about 5 years ago. She was collecting her mail...I was just about to enter our driveway...so I walked across and introduced myself. Said if she wanted anything just to give me a knock or call. Haven't spoken to her since.

Last October after Hurricane Sandy...another neighbor's drive was blocked by 3 trees that had fallen during the night. The next morning my husband went across and gave them one of our cars to drive until they could get their cars out I'd the driveway. The neighbor later returned the car and said it was an act of kindness they would never forget. Haven't spoken to them since.

We all acknowledge each other if our cars pass...but apart from that zilch. I don't know whether it's because most people are working...they have kids...family..church...but people around here don't seem to have the time for others outside their own family.

I can't for the life if me figure out why people think moving to the the US is going to solve all their problems.
It's probably another of those things that vary massively depending on where you live. Round here there is something of a 'blitz spirit'. So for instance I have lived in this house for just over a year. Whenever there is a bad snowfall my neighbor gets his snowblower out and does my drive for me. The other day his kids came round and brought me a peach cobbler which they had cooked themselves. If they go away I look after their pets and vice versa. Speak to them once a week usually and we borrow each other stuff - we even borrowed his car the other day so we could get a massive christmas tree which wouldn't fit in our little Yaris.

Probably wouldn't be the same if I moved just a couple of blocks in the other direction - then I would probably be complaining about the neighbor's noise and worried about them stabbing one another.

My MIL on the other side of town lives in a more typical American suburb. She has the best neighbors - pretty much every time she has a crisis her immediate neighbor comes round and deals with it whether it be fixing her fridge or her garage door. There is a couple down the street that are always buying her presents - they even bought me a six pack of beer the other day and I don't even live there!!

Frankly living here makes me feel like a bad person because I do bugger all for my neighbors.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 12:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Libby75
Thank you. So I note in your experience, small towns are better than citites, for this kind of living.
I live in a small town...5,500 residents.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 2:04 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You don't get better than where I now live.

Old Jan 28th 2013, 2:11 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...m/46056444.jpg
Sounds a bit crowded.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 2:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

After 26 yrs married to my US hubby and having lived in 5 US States so far. 10 yrs over two seperate tours in England. Both hubby and I would not hesitate in saying that England is where we felt more 'at home'!

We lived in the Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire areas and loved it there (I grew up nr Manchester) All the friends we have here in the US are people we met through the Military, not one neighbor. We still keep in touch with at least 6 families in England, (12 yrs since we lived there) they were either neighbors or same school parents.

One of the biggest differences here from England is, you will not walk your kids to school and chat to other Mums at the school gate (not in many places anyway) Most kids get on buses to/from school, or are dropped off (from the car) at the school, in my experience, most neighbors get into their cars inside the garage to go to work/shopping etc and drive back into the garage when they return, so you are lucky to even get to say hi or wave to them.

Believe me, the grass is not always greener across (this) side of the pond!
Old Jan 28th 2013, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...m/46056444.jpg
I heard it gets a a bit feisty.

Old Jan 28th 2013, 2:17 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Sounds a bit crowded.
Yep!

Look at all the people two miles from our door.

Old Jan 28th 2013, 2:18 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Yep!

Look at all the people two miles from our door.

http://www.chrisfrailey.com/wp-conte...log-1-of-1.jpg
Bit of a desforestation issue.

Looks lovely actually, very striking.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 2:20 am
Septicity

Bit of a desforestation issue.
If you want trees, go three miles east instead of north.

Old Jan 28th 2013, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart

One of the biggest differences here from England is, you will not walk your kids to school and chat to other Mums at the school gate (not in many places anyway) Most kids get on buses to/from school, or are dropped off (from the car) at the school, in my experience, most neighbors get into their cars inside the garage to go to work/shopping etc and drive back into the garage when they return, so you are lucky to even get to say hi or wave to them.
Yes that is a huge difference. Also, people seldom do their own gardening so you don't get to pass the time of day with them that way. In fact I'm friendlier with next door's gardener than I am with them.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 2:25 am

http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles50013.jpg
OK, fine, I live in the middle of the stupid midwest where it's flat cornfields for 500 miles in every direction.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sounds a bit crowded.
And why did they all have to leave?
Old Jan 28th 2013, 2:59 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Libby75
Although I'v only visited the US, never lived, I can concur with your feeling of "meant to be".

I'm aware that travelling and living somewhere are entirely different. Still, the feeling is there every time.

Can you please expand on why you feel like this? Is it friendlier and have you been able to integrate and make good friends?
Yes I have a wonderful social network and the folk in my area are very reseptive and go out of their way to help you, always an event or evening get together going on and I often laugh and tell them I was born a yank with a british accent
Old Jan 28th 2013, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

snufkinette is an unknown quantity at this point

http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles50013.jpg
Wow, both the photos you have posted to this thread reveal lovely scenes. May I ask where they are?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.