Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Wikiposts

Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Old Jan 27th 2013, 10:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
What you are describing is how the US is often described on the forum - superficially friendly but none of that 'popping in for a cuppa' mentality that you get in the UK! I've not lived in the US but that's certainly what I found in Canada, the friendliness isn't more than just manners, and it's incredibly tough to break in socially. From what I've read, the US seems to be similar.

I've lived all over the UK, from Birmingham to Oxford, but I was specifically thinking of the three places I've lived as a 'grown up' with my husband. Which were Middlesex, Bucks and now Berkshire. The last village we lived in, in Bucks, we were in a cul de sac of maybe 25 houses, and everybody knew everybody else. We all exchanged Christmas cards, went to each others drinks parties, and 5 of the ladies that lived there were great friends of mine - we were always in and out of each others houses for coffee etc.

Now I live far more rurally in Berkshire and only have 2 near neighbours but again, we're very friendly and go for Sunday lunches at each others houses etc.
I've lived in this house for 15 years....the last time I spoke to one of my neighbours was about 5 years ago. She was collecting her mail...I was just about to enter our driveway...so I walked across and introduced myself. Said if she wanted anything just to give me a knock or call. Haven't spoken to her since.

Last October after Hurricane Sandy...another neighbour's drive was blocked by 3 trees that had fallen during the night. The next morning my husband went across and gave them one of our cars to drive until they could get their cars out I'd the driveway. The neighbour later returned the car and said it was an act of kindness they would never forget. Haven't spoken to them since.

We all acknowledge each other if our cars pass...but apart from that zilch. I don't know whether it's because most people are working...they have kids...family..church...but people around here don't seem to have the time for others outside their own family.

I can't for the life if me figure out why people think moving to the the US is going to solve all their problems.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 27th 2013 at 10:18 am. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 27th 2013, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Libby75 is an unknown quantity at this point

What you are describing is how the US is often described on the forum - superficially friendly but none of that 'popping in for a cuppa' mentality that you get in the UK! I've not lived in the US but that's certainly what I found in Canada, the friendliness isn't more than just manners, and it's incredibly tough to break in socially. From what I've read, the US seems to be similar.

I've lived all over the UK, from Birmingham to Oxford, but I was specifically thinking of the three places I've lived as a 'grown up' with my husband. Which were Middlesex, Bucks and now Berkshire. The last village we lived in, in Bucks, we were in a cul de sac of maybe 25 houses, and everybody knew everybody else. We all exchanged Christmas cards, went to each others drinks parties, and 5 of the ladies that lived there were great friends of mine - we were always in and out of each others houses for coffee etc.

Now I live far more rurally in Berkshire and only have 2 near neighbours but again, we're very friendly and go for Sunday lunches at each others houses etc.
Very jealous! This is just the kind of environment I long for and have often wondered if it's just a childish dream!

Nope, never experienced this in the South East. The occassional cuppa and girls' night in/out, yes, but all very superficial. Certainly no cakes and casseroles on moving in, nor neighbours going in and out of eachothers' homes!

I'd be very interested to know if others have experienced this in the UK, as it's a long way from anything I or people I know have known. Neither is it what the Brits are known for. Hope I'm not going loopy...

Re the US, an uncle and Mum's cousin lived there for many years. The uncle was away much of the time due to work, but still had a very close social circle.

The cousin was a housewife and had neighbours and friends in and out of her home all the time, even when we visited. It seemed completely natural and was very charming and completely different to the UK of my experience.

I also read a post earlier describing how neighbours in Kentucky are also friends, not just hello. Sorry, I don't recall the poster's name.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 10:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I can't for the life if me figure out why people think moving to the the US is going to solve all their problems.
Yep. If anything, moving abroad usually makes them worse as you're away from everything familiar, struggling with a new culture, etc.

I'm sure that lots of streets in the UK are very unfriendly, and lots in the US have community spirit, but it's certainly not the cliche of friendly Americans v unfriendly Brits - just depends on the people I guess, regardless of nationality

The one big difference I noticed in Canada is that when people say 'oooh, we must get together', they are often just being polite and don't actually mean it, whereas in the UK they don't say it unless they actually intend to follow it up with an invite!
Old Jan 27th 2013, 10:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Libby75
Nope, never experienced this in the South East. The occassional cuppa and girls' night in/out, yes, but all very superficial. Certainly no cakes and casseroles on moving in, nor neighbours going in and out of eachothers' homes!
Have *you* ever taken a cake to a new neighbour who's just moved in? Friendliness begets friendliness! You never know, that new neighbour may well end up being your best friend.

So don't wait for it to come to you, invite your neighbours for drinks, welcome new people, or ask that housewife who's on her own every day if she'd like to join you for coffee.

Old Jan 27th 2013, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

I've lived in this house for 15 years....the last time I spoke to one of my neighbours was about 5 years ago. She was collecting her mail...I was just about to enter our driveway...so I walked across and introduced myself. Said if she wanted anything just to give me a knock or call. Haven't spoken to her since.

Last October after Hurricane Sandy...another neighbour's drive was blocked by 3 trees that had fallen during the night. The next morning my husband went across and gave them one of our cars to drive until they could get their cars out I'd the driveway. The neighbour later returned the car and said it was an act of kindness they would never forget. Haven't spoken to them since.

We all acknowledge each other if our cars pass...but apart from that zilch. I don't know whether it's because most people are working...they have kids...family..church...but people around here don't seem to have the time for others outside their own family.

This is such a shame... I'd definitely be friendly if I were your neighbour! It seems you certainly have made kind attempts but they've not been reciprocated.

I don't believe for one moment moving anywhere will solve all my problems! Just researching possibilities and life outside of what I've always known. Life is so short, I like to know I did my best to enjoy it and make the best future for my daughter.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 10:59 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

My experience is the opposite. Lovely friendly neighbours (turned up with cakes and casseroles the day we moved in and other clichés!), and a great community spirit. Whether its street parties for a royal wedding/jubilee/Olympics or other occasions, there's certainly nobody that is 'fearful of making any kind of contact'!

This has been my experience in the 3 houses we've lived in in the UK - in fact, one of my ex-neighbours from our last house is now a very close friend and I'm godmother to her daughter!

I'm curious, do you live in a city? As I've always lived in villages where perhaps there is more community spirit?
Can you share names of the towns/villages where you have lived in order to compare experiences with posters? Thanks
Update! Thanks for mentioning those three places.

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Jan 27th 2013 at 11:36 am.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 11:01 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Very interested in answers to this question.

I know there are areas of the US that are very friendly and welcoming and have a culture of community and good neighbours. Just not sure where!

The UK is very different to this, at least in my experience. Although people are kind and lovely, they keep themselves to themselves and are almost fearful of making any form of contact. I find this very sad (we only have one life) and rather dull.

I love the thought of a close community and an atmosphere of friendliness, giving a sense of security.

Can you share name of the town where your experience come from?
Thanks
Old Jan 27th 2013, 11:34 am
Banned

Sounds like the famous Norman Rockwell painting of an American town. Par for the course in places with small populations of 3000 or less and especially in the southeast where people are taught from childhood to be open and friendly toward even a stranger. We do have to factor in the all important element of the American "we can do spirit" that cultivates individualism. I know when a family member of mine moved into a neighborhood in North Carolina a couple years ago,they were greeted by neighbors with warm wishes,cakes and a invitation to join their garden club. Depends on where you live in any country it would appear.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Kilty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I'd go along with that. The Boston suburbs and even Boston itself definitely has an English feel to it (compared to a lot of places anyway).
More Irish than English I'd say.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 12:08 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I feel at home where I live in Grass Valley CA but its nothing like home in England this feels more like where I am meant to be...aside from here Middleburg Virginia has my heart for sure.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

MODERATORS: This reply should really be in Libby75's thread (Because she was referring, in her own thread, to posts she'd read here - I inadvertently ended up posting here when I looked for those quotes. Perhaps it should be moved....???? too confusing....sorry

I also read a post earlier describing how neighbours in Kentucky are also friends. Sorry, I don't recall the poster's name.
Posters name is Ian.
Here's the OP's original message followed then by some of Ian's 2 replies - posts which you seem to have gravitated toward and clung to like a life-raft.
BTW: Where does Ian say "....neighbors in Kentucky are also friends."?
He doesn't!

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
One of those challenges is finding a town/city in America which make you feel like you're at home. Where the people are friendly and there are things of interest to do. Where in America do you want to call home that has most of the attributes you want?
You're not looking to feel like "you're at home". Because you've already told us you've never felt "at home" when at home.
So, in fact, (and contrary to the OP's inquiry) you're seeking something you've never experienced. Why not begin with a move, not to another country, but within and ask yourself "WHY?"

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Hmm... tough to answer. Most people arrive in the US via a family-based or employment-based visa... so they live where the family or employment is based. That means there's no real choice in the location. Only those who enter the US on an investment-based visa can truly choose where to live.
Where I live in eastern Kentucky, it's a lot like East Anglia (well, except for the weather)... but if I was moving from London I wouldn't be at all satisfied.
Ian
Perhaps you should investigate East Anglia? I mean - why move that vast distance to far-off eastern Ky. when (in comparison) East Anglia is practically at your doorstep? At a minimum - it seems a far more realistic option for you. All the seemingly insurmountable hurdles discussed in the 2 threads you've opened today would be averted.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The entire region has some of the friendliest people I've ever met. People are very polite and respectful here. I'm not sure if it's necessarily genuine, but it does seem to be deeply ingrained in the local culture. There is a culture of helping and of assisting that is quite refreshing compared to some of the larger regions in the US. Neighbors here are genuine neighbors... not just "hello" or "good day" when passing each other. Ian
To be fair....I'm being slightly tongue-in-cheek - and know you'll dismiss the East Anglia idea out-of-hand. But it's no more absurd than harboring the foolish notion that there are "warm and welcoming communities" in America. That's a "Leave It To Beaver" myth rooted in 50's TV romanticism. Broad brush generalities are so banal - but if you insist - then I'll label America a success driven culture with little time for or interest in "neighborliness". Yes, there is a tradition of Volunteerism with an implied concern for the other - and 'tho real - the "concern" shouldn't be mistaken for the welcoming embrace of true friendship - which you crave.

Hope this hasn't sounded harsh. You're obviously groping your way thru a difficult chapter in your life. Fantasies about creating a better life in America will only make the next chapter worse.

Last edited by MMcD; Jan 27th 2013 at 12:37 pm. Reason: See my note to move this
Old Jan 27th 2013, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Where in America do you want to call home that has most of the attributes you want?
Well, this probably isn't very helpful, but the place where I want to live is the place where I do live - Santa Cruz, CA - a small (60,000 people) "city" on the coast about 80 miles south of San Francisco.

I suppose I was one of the very lucky people who had never really considered moving to the US but who ended up here anyway. As a result of some contacts that I made while working in the UK I was offered a job in California - I went out to visit and immediately felt very much "at home" (much more so than I had ever felt in the UK) so I accepted the offer and moved here a few months later (H1-B visas didn't take very long to get back in those days). That was 26 years ago and I have been here ever since.

If I *hadn't* had that instant reaction of feeling "at home" I would probably not have made the move.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Forget it here, they wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I feel at home where I live in Grass Valley CA but its nothing like home in England this feels more like where I am meant to be...aside from here Middleburg Virginia has my heart for sure.
Although I'v only visited the US, never lived, I can concur with your feeling of "meant to be".

I'm aware that travelling and living somewhere are entirely different. Still, the feeling is there every time.

Can you please expand on why you feel like this? Is it friendlier and have you been able to integrate and make good friends?
Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds like the famous Norman Rockwell painting of an American town. Par for the course in places with small populations of 3000 or less and especially in the southeast where people are taught from childhood to be open and friendly toward even a stranger. We do have to factor in the all important element of the American "we can do spirit" that cultivates individualism. I know when a family member of mine moved into a neighborhood in North Carolina a couple years ago,they were greeted by neighbors with warm wishes,cakes and a invitation to join their garden club. Depends on where you live in any country it would appear.
Thank you. So I note in your experience, small towns are better than citites, for this kind of living.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.