Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Circumcision

Circumcision

Old Sep 28th 2005, 2:16 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Circumcision

It's my understanding that around 85% of American males are circumcised.

My 9 year old son isn't. I'm getting comments from other parents who have routinely had their son 'done'. They make me feel uncomfortable by implying that my son will somehow be traumatised in high school due to his not looking like other boys. That I've somehow doomed him to a life of ridicule and without acceptance.

A quick google and I found this:

http://www.circlist.com/preferences/preferences.html

and these people:

http://www.norm.org/

What is happening??????

What are your thoughts on this?
Old Sep 28th 2005, 2:41 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Circumcision

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
leave the kid alone.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:01 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

My 9 year old son isn't. I'm getting comments from other parents who have routinely had their son 'done'. They make me feel uncomfortable by implying that my son will somehow be traumatised in high school due to his not looking like other boys. That I've somehow doomed him to a life of ridicule and without acceptance.

and these people:

What is happening??????

My son is not done and he was born here. We are also expecting another son in Jan 2006, he will not be done either. Since we have no religious reasons to get it done and we have access to soap and water ( before that old argument comes up again) I see no point. I also read somewhere that circumcision desensitizes the penis for obvious reasons, possibly leading to more bizarre sexual practices in order to attain gratification. I am too lazy to look up a source for this - plus this statement might attract a crowd, as I'm sick of Cindy Sheehan

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Sep 28th 2005 at 3:50 am.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:05 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
leave the kid alone.

I agree, we had to have one of our sons circumcised the bill was $14,000 fortunately we have insurance so our co pay was just $2,000
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

and these people:

What is happening??????

there is no logical reason to do it imo.......I guess Americans did it/do it for sanitary reasons but I belive that started many years ago.......I personally would not put the kid through it for no reason at all
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:23 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

That would be at least partly down to the high Jewish content and therefore influence in the USA at a guess.

Dont do it. Stuff the other parents its got nothing to do with them. Theres a high chance he will hate you for it later on in life.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:32 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Whoaaaa! Hold on a minute. I am NOT thinking of having my son mutilated. Oh No. Not ever. Phew, glad I got that one off my chest. No worries there.

I'm just fed up with the messages and the comments. Infrequent but enough to make me feel uncomfortable. I'm just fed up and it bugs the hell out of me that someone who has allowed their child to be tied down and ripped apart for no good reason should make me feel uncomfortable.

Just found this:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282862

Now that makes me feel uncomfortable!!!
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:33 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
That would be at least partly down to the high Jewish content and therefore influence in the USA at a guess.

Dont do it. Stuff the other parents its got nothing to do with them. Theres a high chance he will hate you for it later on in life.
Welcome to the board AWP. Interesting choice of first post.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:36 am
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Jews make up less than 1.5% of the population of the USA. I would not call that a high content
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I am expecting my sacond baby in April, should it be a boy, he WILL NOT be done either... unless it is done for religious reasons or geuine health reasons it is nothing more than mutilation.

I also disagree with parents having there babies ears pierced.

Ash
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:49 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

The "high Jewish content" of what... American dicks? I suggest you try guessing again. Perhaps you'll get it right this time, and avoid sounding quite so ignorant.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:52 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
My son is not done and he was born here. My son we are expecting in Jan 2006 will not be done either. Since we have no religious reasons to get it done and we have access to soap and water ( before that old argument comes up again) I see no point. I also read somewhere that circumcision desensitizes the penis for obvious reasons, possibly leading to more bizarre sexual practices in order to attain gratification. I am too lazy to look up a source for this - plus this statement might attract a crowd, as I'm sick of Cindy Sheehan
How funny, 15 years ago my Religious Education teacher at secondary school made the exact same statement about circumcision leading to de-sensitisation of the penis, and hence to homosexuality and buggery. I remember her little rant like it was just yesterday! Mind you, she got fired for it, so something good came of it in the end.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:57 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
How funny, 15 years ago my Religious Education teacher at secondary school made the exact same statement about circumcision leading to de-sensitisation of the penis, and hence to homosexuality and buggery. I remember her little rant like it was just yesterday! Mind you, she got fired for it, so something good came of it in the end.
I see nothing funny. I didn't mention homosexuality? The OP also referenced this in her 2nd post, perhaps you can dissect and disproove these points, that might make funny reading?;

Looks like you are outnumbered, however you have the freedom to do what you wish with your penis( if you have one?) or your sons.

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Sep 28th 2005 at 3:59 am.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 4:02 am
Arrogant ****

I see nothing funny. I didn't mention homosexuality? The OP also referenced this in her 2nd post;

Looks like you are outnumbered, however you have the freedom to do what you wish with your penis( if you have one?) or your sons.
I didn't think this was an us-against-them kind of discussion. It was funny that you made the same statement that got my rabidly anti-semitic RE teacher fired. If you like I'll go back and edit "exact" to read "nearly", but it hardly seems worth it.

Whether you feel strongly that it's mutilation or not is entirely a personal opinion, I guess.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 4:03 am
Arrogant ****

I see nothing funny. I didn't mention homosexuality? The OP also referenced this in her 2nd post, perhaps you can dissect and disproove these points, that might make funny reading?;

I see you've edited your post to be even more confrontational, but to be honest Lionheart, I just don't have the energy or inclination to be your sparring partner. Go pick a fight with someone else, eh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.