Cinnamon

Old Oct 29th 2012, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cinnamon

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Never heard of "soft" cider in the UK. It's called apple juice.
Too right! I was confused by references to "hard cider", isn't that all cider? Seems they add spices to apple juice and call it apple cider.

Cinnamon seems to be added to everything here. Funny thing about cinnamon is that it is entirely smell-based, you can't actually taste it. Try putting some on your tongue while holding your nose, it's like a flavourless powder.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 4:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well lucky you. It took me a while but I eventually managed to find a dusty six pack of Hornsby cider in Stater Bros. It's even worse than Strongbow and Woodpecker but thankfully not too bad for cooking with. I've never seen anywhere else selling hard cider around here.

Oh for a natural farm cider with dubious hygiene, strange bits floating in the cider, and a nominal ABV that doesn't match what's inside.

Apple juice isn't the same though, it's not pressed whole apples.

As for cider, have you tried Wegmans or Wholefoods? They usually have a few brews. Quite a brews from New England area, as well as decent imports.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Apple juice isn't the same though, it's not pressed whole apples.
That might be the official term but that's not what supermarkets or even cider farms call it IMX. I hadn't even heard of anything being called "hard" or "soft" cider until 3 years ago - and I used to drink a lot of farm cider (probably explains a few things ), buying the regular "apple juice" for the family that they also produce alongside the cider. One advantage of living in the West Country! Come to think of it, "pressed apple juice" may have been on some labels.

Originally Posted by Bob
As for cider, have you tried Wegmans or Wholefoods? They usually have a few brews. Quite a brews from New England area, as well as decent imports.
Nearest Wegmans is 2574 miles away. Nearest Wholefoods 84 miles. We go to Tarzana every month or two which has one so maybe I'll make an excuse to visit. Mail order isn't quite the same though .
Old Oct 29th 2012, 5:16 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
A proper apple pie has cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and cheese.

Cinnamon is lovely, but as with all spices, in the right doses...and not on sweet potato with marshmellows
Maybe your recipe does but growing up I ate a lot of pie and it had apples and brown sugar, and little nutmeg.
No cinnamon cloves and definitely no cheese (which I had heard of but find apples and cheese together to taste foul)
Old Oct 29th 2012, 6:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Maybe your recipe does but growing up I ate a lot of pie and it had apples and brown sugar, and little nutmeg.
No cinnamon cloves and definitely no cheese (which I had heard of but find apples and cheese together to taste foul)
It's the ploughmans combo and it's amazing, with a bit of sharp cheddar mixed into the crust.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 6:26 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

I thought cheese and apple was more popular in the north of England than the south. Same as fruit cake and cheese.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 6:51 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
An improper apple pie has cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and cheese.

Cinnamon is lovely, but as with all spices, in the right doses...and not on sweet potato with marshmellows
Edited by me, PG.

No cinnamon or cheese in the pie but a good aged cheddar on the side is wonderful.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 7:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Edited by me, PG.

No cinnamon or cheese in the pie but a good aged cheddar on the side is wonderful.
Then all you're eating is baby food in some pastry. That's no pie.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 7:25 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Edited by me, PG.

Originally Posted by Bob
Then all you're eating is baby food in some pastry. That's no pie.
No my pies have actual pieces of apple not mush
Old Oct 29th 2012, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

In the style of every bloody TV programme featuring a chef/restaurant, my [insert dearly departed relative's name here]'s secret recipe for apple pie included cinnamon, cloves, and possibly nutmeg - but definitely not cheese. In this case, my nan - but still alive and going well. I can't stand apple pie though.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 7:53 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Well lucky you. It took me a while but I eventually managed to find a dusty six pack of Hornsby cider in Stater Bros. It's even worse than Strongbow and Woodpecker but thankfully not too bad for cooking with. I've never seen anywhere else selling hard cider around here.

Oh for a natural farm cider with dubious hygiene, strange bits floating in the cider, and a nominal ABV that doesn't match what's inside.

Do you not have a Fresh and Easy or Bev Mo near you? Both sell hard cider
Old Oct 29th 2012, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by N1cky
Do you not have a Fresh and Easy
Ooh, there is one a few miles away; went there once before. I didn't notice any cider but wasn't specifically looking for it at that time.

or Bev Mo near you? Both sell hard cider
That's a new one on me. Nearest about 30 miles away but again could be combined with a trip to something else.

Thanks.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 8:28 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh, there is one a few miles away; went there once before. I didn't notice any cider but wasn't specifically looking for it at that time.

That's a new one on me. Nearest about 30 miles away but again could be combined with a trip to something else.

Thanks.
The variety seems to have ramped up recently, hubby mainly drinks cider so thats good. F&E sell Hornsby's, and Ace in 6 bottle packs, like you say these are ok, they also see Julian, which has a cherry cider variety which is really good.

Bev Mo is selling loads, they had at least 30 different types, with lots from brewerys from the UK, they are even selling Magners in 6 bottle packs now.

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductLis...294967144&No=0
Old Oct 29th 2012, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

The variety seems to have ramped up recently, hubby mainly drinks cider so thats good. F&E sell Hornsby's, and Ace in 6 bottle packs, like you say these are ok, they also see Julian, which has a cherry cider variety which is really good.

Bev Mo is selling loads, they had at least 30 different types, with lots from brewerys from the UK, they are even selling Magners in 6 bottle packs now.

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductLis...294967144&No=0
Excellent, thanks. I'm not a fan of the fizzy ones so I'll have to try and dig out a natural one out of that lot - if there are any!
Old Oct 31st 2012, 9:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I love cinnamon. IMO everything is flavoured with cherry ......
The problem is that it's cherry flavoring, not actually flavored with cherries!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.