British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   The Christmas what do you miss thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/christmas-what-do-you-miss-thread-739784/)

Jerseygirl Dec 4th 2011 6:36 am

Re: The Christmas what do you miss thread

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9769705)
I didn't know that Gary's brought them in - that's good to know.

I'm getting them in the UK this year though....I'm flying to London next weekend and spending a few days there :thumbsup: and then spending Christmas in Switzerland (where my spouse relocated to with his job). Swiss chocs are great but I don't know if they do the choc baubles for the tree, so I'll pick some up in the UK. ;)

Have a safe trip and I hope you have a Merry Christmas.

Gabgoeshome Dec 4th 2011 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9769546)
Those Cadbury's chocolate 'baubles' that you hang on the Christmas tree. They never stay on our tree for long though :lol:

I've noticed that (in our area) you can get chocolate coins - but I was told they're for the Hannukah (Jewish) festival! :D

You can get similar-ish things in Aldi :)

They have *lots* of European type things at Christmas/Easter.

Englishmum Dec 4th 2011 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9769751)
Have a safe trip and I hope you have a Merry Christmas.

Thank you! :starsmile:

Where will you be this Christmas? New Jersey, Toronto or England?

Jerseygirl Dec 4th 2011 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9770141)
Thank you! :starsmile:

Where will you be this Christmas? New Jersey, Toronto or England?

Toronto this year. :)

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 Dec 4th 2011 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9769705)
I didn't know that Gary's brought them in - that's good to know.

I'm getting them in the UK this year though....I'm flying to London next weekend and spending a few days there :thumbsup: and then spending Christmas in Switzerland (where my spouse relocated to with his job). Swiss chocs are great but I don't know if they do the choc baubles for the tree, so I'll pick some up in the UK. ;)

Hi there. I hope that you have a safe and enjoyable trip and I hope that you have a merry Christmas and a safe and fun New Year.:)

FridaysChild Dec 5th 2011 1:00 am

Since this is my first Christmas abroad, I may need to get back to you in January, but so far I miss:

The December issue of the Radio Times
The ease of getting out the old box of decorations and lights that have done the job for years, and instead having to buy new ones that actually work here
Huge tins of Cadbury's Roses
Trailers for the TV Christmas Specials
Panto. Especially the ones with faded 80s comedians. Who knew I'd miss those?!
The first time I see the Christmas food go on sale in Tesco's - especially the freezer section with everything in miniature (think Toad in the Hole mini-bites, and teeny tiny chocolate eclairs)
Advent Calendars without chocolate in them
Catalogues full of wrapping paper and tacky decorations
Boots 3-for-2 gift aisles

I'm sure there will be more as the month goes on! :)

Guindalf Dec 5th 2011 2:04 am

Originally Posted by FridaysChild (Post 9770987)
Since this is my first Christmas abroad, I may need to get back to you in January, but so far I miss:

The December issue of the Radio Times
The ease of getting out the old box of decorations and lights that have done the job for years, and instead having to buy new ones that actually work here
Huge tins of Cadbury's Roses
Trailers for the TV Christmas Specials
Panto. Especially the ones with faded 80s comedians. Who knew I'd miss those?!
The first time I see the Christmas food go on sale in Tesco's - especially the freezer section with everything in miniature (think Toad in the Hole mini-bites, and teeny tiny chocolate eclairs)
Advent Calendars without chocolate in them
Catalogues full of wrapping paper and tacky decorations
Boots 3-for-2 gift aisles

I'm sure there will be more as the month goes on! :)

Where in Atlanta? We're 90 mile NE between Cornelia and Toccoa - about 30 mins up 365 from Gainesville.

FridaysChild Dec 5th 2011 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 9771085)
Where in Atlanta? We're 90 mile NE between Cornelia and Toccoa - about 30 mins up 365 from Gainesville.

I'm in Buckhead, north of Midtown - not far at all! :)

Guindalf Dec 5th 2011 4:27 am

Originally Posted by FridaysChild (Post 9771223)
I'm in Buckhead, north of Midtown - not far at all! :)

Ahhh, the land of shootings and apartment fires! Stay safe down there.

If you want to meet up sometime, say, for lunch in Gainesville or something, feel free to PM me, after the Christmas holidays, of course (I'm flying home Christmas day for 2 weeks). Wife is a yank - raised around Philly, but we won't hold that against her ;).

BHAFC14 Dec 5th 2011 6:22 am

The main thing is friends and family, but other than that not too much really. There hasn’t really been a white Christmas in the South of England for a while now whereas New York was spectacular last Christmas with a large dump of snow on Boxing Day. Agree that some of the M&S nibbles would be nice but plenty of alternatives in the delis in NYC. As other posters have said Thanksgiving is the big one for Americans and it is very family orientated. IMHO I quite like the way that Christmas doesn’t drag on forever the way it does in the UK. I prefer to get a few days skiing in Vermont with friends between Christmas and the New Year.

FridaysChild Dec 5th 2011 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 9771370)
Ahhh, the land of shootings and apartment fires! Stay safe down there.

If you want to meet up sometime, say, for lunch in Gainesville or something, feel free to PM me, after the Christmas holidays, of course (I'm flying home Christmas day for 2 weeks). Wife is a yank - raised around Philly, but we won't hold that against her ;).

Indeed - although, thankfully, we live next to a Cop so we feel pretty safe here now! :)

Sounds great - my husband is also British and I'm sure would enjoy meeting up with others... Especially after his first US Christmas, when I'm sure he'll be missing the UK even more!! Will PM in the new year. Thanks!

rallybug Dec 5th 2011 8:50 am

My first one this year (after my first Turkey Day with the extended family).

Luckily for me, I've never liked Christmas Cake or Christmas Pudding (even though I have the family recipe for the pudding and have made some each year :lol:), and a Yule Log can be made easily enough.

No crackers, but then we didn't tend to have them in our family anyway.

I'll be trying to indoctrinate the US family with our traditions (suppers every night with cold meats, cheeses, salads, etc) but I don't hold out much hope :rofl: I have just ordered a six-pack of Colman's, so I'm ready :thumbsup:

kimilseung Dec 19th 2011 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by davidmatthewpittaway (Post 9768593)
i do love a good panto

Knocked off my second panto of the season this weekend. They have become quite the American Christmas tradition for us here. I even got the in-laws to come along to one of them this year. I find the one at the brew-pub theater to be the more fun.

lisanano Dec 20th 2011 4:59 am

there are pantos here?

kimilseung Dec 20th 2011 5:08 am

Originally Posted by lisanano (Post 9798564)
there are pantos here?

I have two close to my 'here'

Peter Pan

Pinocchio