British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   The Christmas what do you miss thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/christmas-what-do-you-miss-thread-739784/)

Uncle Ebenezer Nov 28th 2011 7:45 pm

Re: The Christmas what do you miss thread

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9758528)
One good thing about last (and this, I think) Christmas here, to be fair and balanced and all that, was that my mother in law surprised me with a turkey for our Christmas Eve dinner to accompany the ham we have every year :)

Obviously, my wife made her excellent stuffing to accompany it. My mum never made her own, unless she changed her name to Marks & Spencer somewhere in my youth ...

Stuffing, or "dressing"?

SultanOfSwing Nov 28th 2011 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 9758650)
Stuffing, or "dressing"?

It was up the turkey's arse, so I'd call it stuffing, myself. I could be wrong.

Uncle Ebenezer Nov 28th 2011 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9758661)
It was up the turkey's arse, so I'd call it stuffing, myself. I could be wrong.

That's what I'd call it too - it seems most people here (in my experience) bake it in a separate pan, but still call it "stuffing".

Jerseygirl Nov 28th 2011 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 9758740)
That's what I'd call it too - it seems most people here (in my experience) bake it in a separate pan, but still call it "stuffing".

Mum always used to 'stuff' the bird when we were kids. In later years I seem to remember there was some issue about the stuffing not being cooked thoroughly if it's inside the bird.

SultanOfSwing Nov 28th 2011 8:38 pm

Probably a nod to the actual recipe rather than the insertion, or lack thereof.

It picks up so much goodness from inside the bird, I'm at a loss as to why you wouldn't put it in there!

Squirrel Nov 28th 2011 10:33 pm

My fav stuffing is apricot and walnut, yum!

kimilseung Nov 28th 2011 11:16 pm

They do it separate, so they can leave the 'flavor bag' that comes with the turkey, where it is supposed to be, I think its a kind of bouquet garni. I have not been impressed with these myself, I think it makes the turkey taste funny.

Bob Nov 29th 2011 3:44 am

The crap christmas song show down for the number one...and finding something really shit like Mr Blobby made it to number 1 :D

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 Nov 29th 2011 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9759396)
The crap christmas song show down for the number one...and finding something really shit like Mr Blobby made it to number 1 :D

:goodpost:

OMG The Mr Blobby song was one of the worst songs that I have heard in my life. I mean if I remember right it was just the words Mr Blobby over and over and over again. I mean how repetitive. I think that the Mr Blobby song was the worst number one song that I have ever heard in my life. This is something that the British have certainly have been able to out do the Americans with. The worst number 1 song in recorded music HISTORY.

But then even when I was a kid I thought that Mr Blobby was the worst thing that I have ever seen on TV and still do. I mean he was good TV license money well spent but I guess the Beeb made a lot of money of him so I guess it was OK. However I still did not like the fact that the BBC spent any of they money on him. Sad.

Squirrel Nov 29th 2011 8:29 am

Poll: Which was worse, Mr Blobby or Crazy Frog? :p

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 Nov 29th 2011 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Squirrel (Post 9759777)

Since I have never heard of Crazy Frog I would have to say Mr Blobby.:):p

Brat1 Nov 29th 2011 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by KetteringEnglandRocks2005 (Post 9759799)
Since I have never heard of Crazy Frog I would have to say Mr Blobby.:):p

I'm not very good at doing this, but this is the Crazy Frog.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k85mRPqvMbE&ob=av2e

Tell me if it doesn't work......

SultanOfSwing Nov 29th 2011 2:15 pm

Crazy Frog. Mr Blobby was irritating as all get out but he was a gnat's wing more tolerable than that insufferable twunt who ruined EVERY SINGLE ad break in 2004/5. I was so happy when I moved to discover they didn't (at the time) have him Stateside :lol:

Bob Nov 29th 2011 8:49 pm

At least with Mr Blobby, he wasn't on every phone ring tone :lol:

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 Nov 29th 2011 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Brat1 (Post 9760053)
I'm not very good at doing this, but this is the Crazy Frog.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k85mRPqvMbE&ob=av2e

Tell me if it doesn't work......

Thank you for the link Brat1. The worked but the song was sooooo bad I could not even care to watch the whole thing. I mean its that bad.

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9760287)
Crazy Frog. Mr Blobby was irritating as all get out but he was a gnat's wing more tolerable than that insufferable twunt who ruined EVERY SINGLE ad break in 2004/5. I was so happy when I moved to discover they didn't (at the time) have him Stateside :lol:

Yes Mr. Blobby was really bad but at lest he did not butcher a great movie theme. I would like to find the guy who created Crazy Frog and tell him that is stuff is really **** Bad. I couldn't even listen to the whole bloody song. It was that bad. :rofl:

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9761278)
At least with Mr Blobby, he wasn't on every phone ring tone :lol:

Well bob that was the great thing about 1993. People could not make they own ring tone so you did not have to hear it more often than you had to. Which was bad enough as it is. :)