Reload this Page >

CHILDREN BORN IN USA ? READ THIS

CHILDREN BORN IN USA ? READ THIS

Old Dec 5th 2007, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CHILDREN BORN IN USA ? READ THIS

Originally Posted by robin1234
My son thoughtlessly entered the UK with his UK passport and attempted to leave with his US passport a year or so ago.. the officer asked him why there was no entry stamp in his US passport, so they do sometimes check. Unfortunately he had (foolishly) packed his UK passport in his checked luggage! After explaining this, the immigration officer let him through.

Robin
That is not a problem.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 3:25 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I agree, you have to enter the US with the US Passport, as I thought was commonly known. But not the other way around.

Now quite why you would want to enter the UK with your US passport is another issue.
If you are born in the USA and present yourself at a US border or airport immigration desk without a US passport they have no right to refuse you entry to the United States as long as you can prove you are a US citizen. With or without a passport, they have to let you in.

Airlines abroad though will not allow you on the plane unless you have one, although I do know a guy in the UK who was born in Boston and moved back to the UK with his mother when he was two years old. He flew to Boston from Dublin last year on a UK passport but was given a hard time by US Immigration at Dublin airport. They pretty much told him they would allow him to fly "just this once" but to get a US Passport next time. They said he was committing an offence by entering the US without a passport, but the fine is $0.

I'm not sure how they would know he was born in the USA if he didn't tell them though as the I-94 waiver form only ask for country of citizenship, not country of birth and Boston could be Lincolnshire and not Mass.

a.

Last edited by g1ant; Dec 5th 2007 at 3:40 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
If you are born in the USA and present yourself at a US border or airport immigration desk without a US passport they have no right to refuse you entry to the United States as long as you can prove you are a US citizen. With or without a passport, they have to let you in.

Airlines abroad though will not allow you on the plane unless you have one, although I do know a guy in the UK who was born in Boston and moved back to the UK with his mother when he was two years old. He flew to Boston from Dublin last year on a UK passport but was given a hard time by US Immigration at Dublin airport. They pretty much told him they would allow him to fly "just this once" but to get a US Passport next time. They said he was committing an offence by entering the US without a passport, but the fine is $0.

I'm not sure how they would know he was born in the USA if he didn't tell them though as the I-94 waiver form only ask for country of citizenship, not country of birth and Boston could be Lincolnshire and not Mass.

a.

Place of birth is actually on your UK passport. Again, not sure if it would be written as just "Boston" or Boston, USA - mine just says "Lincoln" - (being Lincoln, UK not Nebraska) but maybe when they swipe it they can tell?
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:19 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Place of birth is actually on your UK passport. Again, not sure if it would be written as just "Boston" or Boston, USA - mine just says "Lincoln" - (being Lincoln, UK not Nebraska) but maybe when they swipe it they can tell?
It doesn't say USA, just the name of the town. AFAIK the swipe just reads the name and the passport number but the new biometric ones will also have your inside leg measurement amongst other things.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
If you have both (and this is the important part) British and American citizenship, you must enter on the British passport.

Otherwise, if you present your US passport at UK immigration, you are likely to face the same scenario as the OP. However, when leaving the UK, you'll need to present the US passport (because the US is your destination).
I have a US and UK passport, my UK PP expired 1995 the old UK kind, I've never seen the need for two passports. I have traveled in and out of the UK on a US passport with my children no problems.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 4:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
If you have both (and this is the important part) British and American citizenship, you must enter on the British passport.
Britain doesn't have such a law (yet) so if you're just going for vacation you can enter on a U.S. passport.

Otherwise, if you present your US passport at UK immigration, you are likely to face the same scenario as the OP. However, when leaving the UK, you'll need to present the US passport (because the US is your destination).
Present a U.S. passport to airline staff.
Show U.K. immigration exit control (which is being reintroduced) the same passport used to enter the country.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

coguk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ukmummoe
Hello, you have to contact the British consulate in Washington they will give you the forms to register your childs birth, after that your children can carry 2 passport but BEWARE ..

my sons were born in America and have both British and American passports, one year we went to England on their English passports and when it was time to come back they wouldnt let us on the plane, we had to go to London and get new American passports,

ANY PERSON BORN IN THE USA MUST ENTER THE USA ON A USA PASSPORT....

when you get the British passport it is stamped BORN IN USA........hope this helps
Hi - we are a US/UK couple. Two kids born in the UK. We started out with two passports for each, but then found that (especially after Sep 11 2001) it was necessary to travel back and forth on the same passport, and the passports expired after 5 years ... it was kind've stressful worrying about it all! So now we live in the US, and just maintain the US passports. I'm pretty sure the kids will have dual-citizenship options if/whenever the time comes that ever matters.
Wouldn't it be great if you could just get a 'combo' US/UK passport to reflect the reality!
Cheers
Old Dec 7th 2007, 10:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coguk
Hi - we are a US/UK couple. Two kids born in the UK. We started out with two passports for each, but then found that (especially after Sep 11 2001) it was necessary to travel back and forth on the same passport,
No, that's not true - plenty of people travel on two passports. Just don't show two passports to immigration.

and the passports expired after 5 years ... it was kind've stressful worrying about it all! So now we live in the US, and just maintain the US passports. I'm pretty sure the kids will have dual-citizenship options if/whenever the time comes that ever matters.
Their British citizenship is not affected by the fact you have not renewed the passports.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 3:44 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coguk
Hi - we are a US/UK couple. Two kids born in the UK. We started out with two passports for each, but then found that (especially after Sep 11 2001) it was necessary to travel back and forth on the same passport, and the passports expired after 5 years ... it was kind've stressful worrying about it all! So now we live in the US, and just maintain the US passports. I'm pretty sure the kids will have dual-citizenship options if/whenever the time comes that ever matters.
Wouldn't it be great if you could just get a 'combo' US/UK passport to reflect the reality!
Cheers
There's no problem traveling with two and there's nothing to worry about. The kids are already dual citizens regardless of any "time coming". Many on this very board use two or more passports in their travels.

Dual citizenship issues:
UK perspective: "The British Government has no objection to dual or multiple citizenship or to a person holding passports from more than one country."
US perspective: www.richw.org/dualcit