Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

CHILDREN BORN IN USA ? READ THIS

CHILDREN BORN IN USA ? READ THIS

Old Dec 4th 2007, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

ukmummoe is on a distinguished road
Default CHILDREN BORN IN USA ? READ THIS

Hello, you have to contact the British consulate in Washington they will give you the forms to register your childs birth, after that your children can carry 2 passport but BEWARE ..

my sons were born in America and have both British and American passports, one year we went to England on their English passports and when it was time to come back they wouldnt let us on the plane, we had to go to London and get new American passports,

ANY PERSON BORN IN THE USA MUST ENTER THE USA ON A USA PASSPORT....

when you get the British passport it is stamped BORN IN USA........hope this helps
Old Dec 4th 2007, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CHILDREN BORN IN USA ? READ THIS

Originally Posted by ukmummoe
Hello, you have to contact the British consulate in Washington they will give you the forms to register your childs birth, after that your children can carry 2 passport but BEWARE ..

my sons were born in America and have both British and American passports, one year we went to England on their English passports and when it was time to come back they wouldnt let us on the plane, we had to go to London and get new American passports,

when you get the British passport it is stamped BORN IN USA........hope this helps
Actually, anyone with a US passport MUST enter the US on it. It's a requirement you sign up to when you get it.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 2:46 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: CHILDREN BORN IN USA ? READ THIS

Originally Posted by ukmummoe

This illustrates exactly how one should use the US and UK passports if one is a dual citizen. You *must* enter the UK on the British passport and enter the US on the American one. Always.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
This illustrates exactly how one should use the US and UK passports if one is a dual citizen. You *must* enter the UK on the British passport and enter the US on the American one. Always.
I'm not sure about the "must" enter the UK with the UK passport part. Could you clarify?
Old Dec 4th 2007, 3:08 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenniferpa
I'm not sure about the "must" enter the UK with the UK passport part. Could you clarify?
If you have both (and this is the important part) British and American citizenship, you must enter on the British passport.

Otherwise, if you present your US passport at UK immigration, you are likely to face the same scenario as the OP. However, when leaving the UK, you'll need to present the US passport (because the US is your destination).
Old Dec 4th 2007, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

If you have both (and this is the important part) British and American citizenship, you must enter on the British passport.

Otherwise, if you present your US passport at UK immigration, you are likely to face the same scenario as the OP. However, when leaving the UK, you'll need to present the US passport (because the US is your destination).
Sorry - I should have clarified. I understood what you said, yet unlike the USA, I have not seen anything "official" in indicate that it is required by the UK authorities. It seems entirely reasonable that it should be required, yet the british are rather more lacksadaisical about such things. Also, I do wonder whether they would be able to check if a US pasport holder entering the country actually had a UK passport as well. Just interested really for future reference.

Edited to add: this (from the embassy website) is what I was going by
"Although acquisition or use of US citizenship does not of itself jeopardise retention of British citizenship, and there is not objection on the part of British authorities to a dual citizen using a US passport, it should not be assumed that the reverse is also true."

Last edited by jenniferpa; Dec 4th 2007 at 3:26 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jenniferpa
Sorry - I should have clarified. I understood what you said, yet unlike the USA, I have not seen anything "official" in indicate that it is required by the UK authorities. It seems entirely reasonable that it should be required, yet the british are rather more lacksadaisical about such things. Also, I do wonder whether they would be able to check if a US pasport holder entering the country actually had a UK passport as well. Just interested really for future reference.

Edited to add: this (from the embassy website) is what I was going by
"Although acquisition or use of US citizenship does not of itself jeopardise retention of British citizenship, and there is not objection on the part of British authorities to a dual citizen using a US passport, it should not be assumed that the reverse is also true."
I agree, you have to enter the US with the US Passport, as I thought was commonly known. But not the other way around.

Now quite why you would want to enter the UK with your US pasport is another issue.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 4:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not really, if the passport you have is valid for the purpose of the trip, you can use the US passport to enter the UK.

It's only an issue on the US side that you use a US passport to enter/exit.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 4:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

Now quite why you would want to enter the UK with your US pasport is another issue.
If it's just for a couple week holiday and your UK passport has expired and you can't be arsed or afford to renew it...
Old Dec 4th 2007, 5:15 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If it's just for a couple week holiday and your UK passport has expired and you can't be arsed or afford to renew it...
Guilty as charged. I knew there was something I forgot to do when I was last home. Oh well, next time...
Old Dec 4th 2007, 8:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You can enter and leave the UK on any PP. The US is one of the few countries where it is illegal to enter or leave with another country's PP.

The last time I went to the UK I entered with my UK PP and left with my US PP.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Or because the line for non-EU passport control is shorter... unlikely, but possible. Or because you are travelling with someone who doesn't hold an EU passport and you would prefer to go in the same line for passport control.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 1:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Or because the line for non-EU passport control is shorter... unlikely, but possible. Or because you are travelling with someone who doesn't hold an EU passport and you would prefer to go in the same line for passport control.
The non EU line was much shorter at Manchester Airport when I entered in October.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 5th 2007 at 1:12 am.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 3:37 am
Account Closed

Serenity is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The non EU line was much shorter at Manchester Airport when I entered in October.
It was shorter in August too!
Old Dec 5th 2007, 1:09 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You can enter and leave the UK on any PP. The US is one of the few countries where it is illegal to enter or leave with another country's PP.

The last time I went to the UK I entered with my UK PP and left with my US PP.
My son thoughtlessly entered the UK with his UK passport and attempted to leave with his US passport a year or so ago.. the officer asked him why there was no entry stamp in his US passport, so they do sometimes check. Unfortunately he had (foolishly) packed his UK passport in his checked luggage! After explaining this, the immigration officer let him through.

Robin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.