Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Checkbook use in Britain?

Checkbook use in Britain?

Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Checkbook use in Britain?

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
See, I guess we have a good bank, or credit union. Our checks, that I deposit in an ATM, clear immediately. In that I can draw out funds immediately. I can use my debit card for shopping immediately. There is no limit. I don't pay for my checking account either. In the UK, it would take as long as 3 bank working days for a cheque to clear. And they meant it as well. If I deposited my cheque (I had an employer that wouldn't do DD as it would cost him more money) on a Friday, I couldn't expect it to clear till Tuesday or Wednesday at the earliest. That was a pain in the rear.
drawing out the funds immediately isn't a problem, but it isn't properly cleared funds, more like a temporary fund status, if the cheque then bounces your in the shit for using the money etc...what really annoys is no cheque guarantee card and each place having different rules for cheques, now that's annoying...
Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
drawing out the funds immediately isn't a problem, but it isn't properly cleared funds, more like a temporary fund status, if the cheque then bounces your in the shit for using the money etc...what really annoys is no cheque guarantee card and each place having different rules for cheques, now that's annoying...
Yes I appreciate that, but that's not ever been the case. Where in the UK, it was always on hold until it cleared. Perhaps there are more incidents over there like that?
Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

jamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nia_Nia
My husband keeps a 'checkbook' religiously and is continually dumbfounded by the fact that I have never kept one and by my insistence that nobody I ever knew back home kept one.
I kept control of my finances by printing out bank statements every time I took money out or just working it out in my head. Hubby finds this highly irregular and says its very irresponsible. I remain convinced that the checkbook (not to be confused with a chequebook) is an American thing. Can any other Brits tell me their experiences with a 'checkbook' pre stateside?
I am of course hoping that everybody says 'nope I never used a checkbook either' so I can go nyah nyah na nyeh nyeh to my husband.
When I was in England I rarely used cheques and I never kept a written balance. When I moved to the U.S. my husband had the same reaction.
Now I bank online and use quicken to balance the accounts. I import the transactions straight from the bank's website. We pay most bills online or using the bank's web bill pay. I use my debit card for just about everything (get cash back for using it) and only write checks for things like my son's school meals.
I think I'm too dependant on my debit card. Can't tell you how many times I have found myself at a toll booth on I-95 and realised I have no cash.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
There are a few in the UK that can have a bank account, but can't do DD or cheques from their accounts. So in order to pay bills they have to use postal orders or pay in person. Its not only in the US. There are poor people everywhere.

That is quite rare in the UK now though - especially DD
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:05 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
That is quite rare in the UK now though - especially DD
Yep. Benefits are now paid directly into bank accounts in the UK, so even the very poor have them.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

I actually went into my bank armed with a chequebook and a utility bill - fully intending to pay the bill there - they looked at me like i was from Pluto ....

The banking system here invests huge sums of money in 'check' management - where else can you view a scanned picture of your checks online or even get the cancelled checks returned to you - yes, its definately a US thing. In the UK I used to go through a book of 30 cheques in maybe a year or two - here I go through a book every couple of months even though I pay as many bills as i can 'electronically'. Most of the online systems are just portals that front end a huge manual process.

The US banking system is archaic - probably not helped by the fact that there are so many of them - seems every small town west of Smallville has its own bank.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 5:26 pm
allserene

i will tell your wife naughty man ! good idea though... I will do the same .

My USc wife does the pencil checkbook thing - i use excel spreadsheet... i can see everything i spend and mark it when the bank statement (on screen) catches up... piece of cake.. then i analyse it with macro and compare it to year to date budget !

She gets 5 dollars 39 cents per 8.5 days to feed the cat !

She has no online account and its all done like 1955 in England (her not the cat)

The US is further back than New Zealand and that is saying sumfink !

I could rip these bozos off deluxe if I wanted to - no chip and pin credit cards either - dinosaurs or what !

Old Dec 13th 2005, 7:24 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Checkbook use in Britain?

Originally Posted by jamjar
I think I'm too dependant on my debit card. Can't tell you how many times I have found myself at a toll booth on I-95 and realised I have no cash.
Where are you located? Up here in NJ and go on the Turnpike (I-95) we just use the EZ Pass lanes at the tollbooths.....some of them now have high speed lanes so you need not slow down as you approach the overhead gantry. You don't ever need to use cash, credit or debit cards at the booths.

There is an electronic reader in our car and we top up the EZ pass account online from time to time....can also use it to go on bridges and tunnels in the Tri State area (and PA I think) and also for parking at Newark and JFK airports.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 9:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Where are you located? Up here in NJ and go on the Turnpike (I-95) we just use the EZ Pass lanes at the tollbooths.....some of them now have high speed lanes so you need not slow down as you approach the overhead gantry. You don't ever need to use cash, credit or debit cards at the booths.
EZ only handy if you commute all the time, but for occasional interstate users...have to use cash really...and that's a pain finding enough quarters...and now they have raised rates to a stupid number like 60c and 85c on a stretch in maine...well annoying that *l*
Old Dec 13th 2005, 9:40 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nia_Nia
Yes thats what I did!!! Everything was direct debit went out of your account and that was it.

HA! hubby will be laughing on the other side of his face now...
I really miss Direct Debit. They have a standing order thingy here but the amounts cannot vary each month. I just can't get my head around the fact that DD don't exist. It just seems so archaic to be writing a cheque for everything each month. He actually has to wonder if the bill doesn't come and call the company. And when we went away this summer he had a hell's game tring to pay bills in advance so they wouldn't be overdue when we got back.

I'm with you! Hubby keeps trying to get me to fill out the ledger thingy in the checkbook and I'm just incapable. Drives him mad that I even have a checkbook since it means the check numbers are out of sync with us both using a different checkbook. Even though I write about three checks a year!
Old Dec 13th 2005, 9:41 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cpe111
The US banking system is archaic
Ha! My words exactly!
Old Dec 13th 2005, 11:06 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
I really miss Direct Debit. They have a standing order thingy here but the amounts cannot vary each month.
They do have a variable debit thingy here, but it should be avoided at all costs since it has minimal protection for the customer and is abused by the corporate world without redress. It basically says, "Here's my bank account, take out whatever you need." It's common to be unable to cancel magazine subscriptions and gym memberships because they happily go on taking it out for ever whether you have cancelled whatever it is or not. The banks are singularly unhelpful with this and if it continues, sometimes the only solution is to start again with another checking account number. Madness!
Old Dec 13th 2005, 11:59 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by fatbrit
They do have a variable debit thingy here, but it should be avoided at all costs since it has minimal protection for the customer and is abused by the corporate world without redress. It basically says, "Here's my bank account, take out whatever you need." It's common to be unable to cancel magazine subscriptions and gym memberships because they happily go on taking it out for ever whether you have cancelled whatever it is or not. The banks are singularly unhelpful with this and if it continues, sometimes the only solution is to start again with another checking account number. Madness!
Still not for a variable amount. That's similar to a standing order not a DD. Have experienced the sign up problem though, I'm more careful these days.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 12:02 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I hate checks too.

In UK i wrote about 2 a year - to the local pizza delivery when pay day was still a couple of days away!

Here, ironically, the checks I write are to the uk credit cards i still owe, and rent. The apartment wont do dd.

As to the archaic us banking system, before i came stateside, I read the book and saw the film "catch me if you can" (DiCaprio) and could not fathom how he got away with it -now i see!

On a positive note to BoA. Yesterday my debit card would not work so I called and found out they put a hold on it due to "unusual activity". Turns out someone has my details and on Saturday while i was really visiting Tampa Zoo and using the card, I was also in Atlanta trying to buy out Sports Authority. They declined my Sports Authority transaction and suspended the card till the real me called to find out whats happening. Good news, I lost no money, bad news I have no card for a week till a replacement arrives.
weird at the time, but has its advantages.

Someone mentioned the paperwork and the patriot act at the bank. I recently worked for a bank as a temp. Sole purpose - to get the paperwork on file, required to identify the owners of new accounts with high balance, to "ensure" they were legit, and not funding terrorists or money laundering. It involved loads of forms, but no real independent verification that the info on them was correct/valid. The culture seems to be get the form filled and we are covered. And I got paid relatively well for that job too!
Rich
Old Dec 14th 2005, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

jamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Englishmum

There is an electronic reader in our car and we top up the EZ pass account online from time to time....can also use it to go on bridges and tunnels in the Tri State area (and PA I think) and also for parking at Newark and JFK airports.
I was in Maryland -- Baltimore metro area but just moved to Georgia. They have EZ Pass in Maryland too and you can use it on the PA turnpike and in Delaware. I just never applied for an EZ pass account --- kept saying I should every time I did the mad scramble for cash but then would promptly forget about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.