British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Checkbook use in Britain? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/checkbook-use-britain-342371/)

Nia_Nia Dec 12th 2005 1:16 pm

Checkbook use in Britain?

My husband keeps a 'checkbook' religiously and is continually dumbfounded by the fact that I have never kept one and by my insistence that nobody I ever knew back home kept one.
I kept control of my finances by printing out bank statements every time I took money out or just working it out in my head. Hubby finds this highly irregular and says its very irresponsible. I remain convinced that the checkbook (not to be confused with a chequebook) is an American thing. Can any other Brits tell me their experiences with a 'checkbook' pre stateside?
I am of course hoping that everybody says 'nope I never used a checkbook either' so I can go nyah nyah na nyeh nyeh to my husband.
:D

Manc Dec 12th 2005 1:19 pm

Re: Checkbook use in Britain?

find checkbooks a complete arse of a situation here.

Use debit cards most of the time and when I do send a bill out in the snail mail I get a money order.

Chorlton Dec 12th 2005 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Nia_Nia
My husband keeps a 'checkbook' religiously and is continually dumbfounded by the fact that I have never kept one and by my insistence that nobody I ever knew back home kept one.
I kept control of my finances by printing out bank statements every time I took money out or just working it out in my head. Hubby finds this highly irregular and says its very irresponsible. I remain convinced that the checkbook (not to be confused with a chequebook) is an American thing. Can any other Brits tell me their experiences with a 'checkbook' pre stateside?
I am of course hoping that everybody says 'nope I never used a checkbook either' so I can go nyah nyah na nyeh nyeh to my husband.
:D

Everyone in the UK has been using direct debit for 15 years! I have exactly the same deal with mrs chorlton. In my opinion it is certainly a US thing. :confused:

Nia_Nia Dec 12th 2005 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
find checkbooks a complete arse of a situation here.

Use debit cards most of the time and when I do send a bill out in the snail mail I get a money order.

So you never used one to record how much money was going out of your account then?

Ray Dec 12th 2005 1:21 pm

I

Sorry .. I'm with your hubby ...

Manc Dec 12th 2005 1:22 pm

So you never used one to record how much money was going out of your account then?

no..........
if you use a debit card / money order then the money is already out of the account and therefore a mistake cannot bounce back and drop you in the shit.

Nia_Nia Dec 12th 2005 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Everyone in the UK has been using direct debit for 15 years! I have exactly the same deal with mrs chorlton. In my opinion it is certainly a US thing. :confused:

Yes thats what I did!!! Everything was direct debit went out of your account and that was it.

HA! hubby will be laughing on the other side of his face now... :)

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 12th 2005 1:24 pm

I think I have personally written 3 checks in just over a year. Previously I probably wrote about 6 in the last 10 years in Britain. Debit cards are by far and away more convenient and safer. Credit cards are safer still since the CC company is completely liable if you are defrauded when using a credit card as long as you have acted responsibly. And with the advent of online banking every transaction is instantly at your finger tips so no need to sit for hours attempting to reconcile double entry booking.

Nia_Nia Dec 12th 2005 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Sorry .. I'm with your hubby ...

You've been here too long Ray!

Ray Dec 12th 2005 1:28 pm

You've been here too long Ray!

and I still keep and use a UK bank account ... getting thru a chequebook every 3 months ..and about the same with my US account ..

Nia_Nia Dec 12th 2005 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
and I still keep and use a UK bank account ... getting thru a chequebook every 3 months ..and about the same with my US account ..

That sounds like a massive pain in the arse! What are the benefits of keeping a UK account when you live here?

Chorlton Dec 12th 2005 1:32 pm

That sounds like a massive pain in the arse! What are the benefits of keeping a UK account when you live here?

I have a UK account, and it's great for birthdays and visits etc. It gathers dust most of the year though.

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 12th 2005 1:33 pm

Actually we still maintain UK accounts. They have their uses.

Nia_Nia Dec 12th 2005 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Chorlton
I have a UK account, and it's great for birthdays and visits etc. It gathers dust most of the year though.

Well I do have one don't get me wrong but I never maintain it! In fact I think there's about 2 quid in there...ah well maybe it'll gather interest and i'll have 5 quid in there by the time we go back.

Here's to hoping!

Ray Dec 12th 2005 1:35 pm

Share dealing, buying and selling ... somewhere to put my premium bond wins.. hidden from wife... various incomes go into it...by direct debit.