check list

Old Apr 11th 2010, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

moving2nyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default check list

Hi All,

Anyone got a check list of all the things you should consider for a move from UK to NYC?

Thanks
Old Apr 11th 2010, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: check list

Originally Posted by moving2nyc
Anyone got a check list of all the things you should consider for a move from UK to NYC?
Yes... and if you use the handy search on the forum, you'll find several.

Ian
Old Apr 11th 2010, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Bullit proof vest.
Tin hat.
Gas mask.
Good life insurance.
Loads of money.
Guts.
Iron digestive system (food is shit).
Thick skin .... you are gonna get insulted now and again.

Other than the above enjoy your move
Old Apr 11th 2010, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

hahaha, glad to see there is a healthy sense of humour too

I'll search the forum
Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

OK, I'm back after a bit of searching and maybe its me but I can find a list of stuff to tick off.

Searched for check list and checklist and not finding much

Come on, give me a clue where I can find a nice list of all the things I need to tick off
Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read through the wiki, there's stuff on financials, driving license, what's worth sending etc.

Search out "relocation"
Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:41 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Besides things to bring, I'd also worry about priority stuff to take care of when I move to the U.S.:
1. Apply for Social Security Number
2. Apply for a NY Driver's License ASAP. You'll get tired of people staring at you like an alien when you show your passport as a form of identification
3. Health Insurance...you DON'T wanna get stuck in a County hospital if something happens. I did a month's worth of rotation at Bellevue Hospital and although the care is OK, it's not the best
4. Cell Phone/Plan - Verizon's supposed to have the best reception, but I hate the CDMA system (No flexibility in switching carrier with the same phone), so I'd prefer GSM Carriers like T-Mobile or AT&T
Old Apr 16th 2010, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
Besides things to bring, I'd also worry about priority stuff to take care of when I move to the U.S.:
1. Apply for Social Security Number
2. Apply for a NY Driver's License ASAP. You'll get tired of people staring at you like an alien when you show your passport as a form of identification
3. Health Insurance...you DON'T wanna get stuck in a County hospital if something happens. I did a month's worth of rotation at Bellevue Hospital and although the care is OK, it's not the best
4. Cell Phone/Plan - Verizon's supposed to have the best reception, but I hate the CDMA system (No flexibility in switching carrier with the same phone), so I'd prefer GSM Carriers like T-Mobile or AT&T
I hate New Haven CT I-95 and I-91 there is every truck drivers nightmare
Old Apr 17th 2010, 2:30 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I hate New Haven CT I-95 and I-91 there is every truck drivers nightmare
Yea, drove through a couple times before, and there was sporatic traffic all the time. It's the only major road to get to New York City though...unless I take Amtrak or MetroNorth to Penn Station.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving2nyc
Hi All,

Thanks
cupboard full of beanie weanies, cammo, ammunition, bug spray.

Just realised you're not moving to Mississippi, scratch that then.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
Yea, drove through a couple times before, and there was sporatic traffic all the time. It's the only major road to get to New York City though...unless I take Amtrak or MetroNorth to Penn Station.
The whole area is traffic hell

Southbound from I-91 onto I-95 is always backed up for a mile or so, no matter what time of day or night, I usually stay in the right lane and drive through the city then back on at exit 42 (or is it exit 43 ?). I-95 north and southbound is just a mess all day and night, no body takes notice of the speed limits, trucks tailgate and collide constantly. .... I am a truck driver and they worry me
Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:16 pm
Busy at Work

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
The whole area is traffic hell

Southbound from I-91 onto I-95 is always backed up for a mile or so, no matter what time of day or night, I usually stay in the right lane and drive through the city then back on at exit 42 (or is it exit 43 ?). I-95 north and southbound is just a mess all day and night, no body takes notice of the speed limits, trucks tailgate and collide constantly. .... I am a truck driver and they worry me
You know your I-91 and I-95 well...I've only been there once (Drove from Boston to New Haven, and later to NYC) for job interview
Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

FionaC will become famous soon enough

Before I moved here I bought a book from Amazon called "Relocating to New York City and Surrounding Areas". It's by Ellen Shapiro and although it's targeted towards those already living in the US, it was a godsend for me. I still refer to it one in a while 18 months down the line. NY is an amazing place to live, hope you enjoy it.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Fiona, will check it out