Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving on UK License in Ohio

Driving on UK License in Ohio

Old Apr 16th 2010, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

jasonuk2us is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Driving on UK License in Ohio

Here's the situation... I am married to a USC and have a GC.

I have been resident in Ohio for the past 4 years and have a state ID but not a state driving license. I do still have a UK driving license.

My USC wife has taken off with her ex and the family car. We live quite a way out and the only way I can get into town is call a taxi which will cost a small fortune.

My question is can I drive a hire car on my UK license after being resident for so long? Also, do I need a state driving license to buy a car?

I really need to get myself sorted out and it's really hard not having a car and not knowing if I can drive legally on my UK license.

Obviously, I should get my state license as soon as possible but not having a car to take the test in is a big problem.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 9:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving on UK License in Ohio

Originally Posted by jasonuk2us
Here's the situation... I am married to a USC and have a GC.

I have been resident in Ohio for the past 4 years and have a state ID but not a state driving license. I do still have a UK driving license.

My USC wife has taken off with her ex and the family car. We live quite a way out and the only way I can get into town is call a taxi which will cost a small fortune.

My question is can I drive a hire car on my UK license after being resident for so long? Also, do I need a state driving license to buy a car?

I really need to get myself sorted out and it's really hard not having a car and not knowing if I can drive legally on my UK license.

Obviously, I should get my state license as soon as possible but not having a car to take the test in is a big problem.
Welcome to BE.

I'm not sure about hiring a car but I would say if you have been driving using your UK licence for the last 4 years you will have been driving illegally. I can't see why driving a hire car would make any difference you are still a resident of that state and should have had an Ohio licence.

Take a look at your state's DMV website that should tell you how long you have to get a licence from the date you first become a resident. For many states it's only a month or two.

Do you even have to take a road test for a licence? I had a UK licence therefore I only had to take a written test...some states only require this if you already have a full licence. You can use a rental car for the test but you will have to get the rental company's permission in writing. You could also use a driving instructor's car.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 16th 2010 at 10:04 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

I'm not sure about hiring a car but I would say if you have been driving using your UK licence for the last 4 years you will have been driving illegally. I can't see why driving a hire car would make any difference you are still a resident of that state and should have had an Ohio licence.

Take a look at your state's DMV website that should tell you how long you have to get a licence from the date you first become a resident. For many states it's only a month or two.

Do you even have to take a road test for a licence? I had a UK licence therefore I only had to take a written test...some states only require this if you already have a full licence. You can use a rental car for the test but you will have to get the rental company's permission in writing. You could also use a driving instructor's car.
I haven't driven in the past 4 years and don't want to drive illegally. I am just trying to figure out how to get my state licence when I don't have a car and live a long ways out of town.

I can't exchange my UK licence for a state licence without taking a road test.

It looks like i'm stuck until I can find an instructor and take my test.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

You need to get an OH license within 30 days of becoming a resident of Ohio (nothing to do with immigration residency) if you want to drive. That means you can't drive on your UK license. You don't need one to buy a car but in order to get the required insurance you will need one to get the lowest rates, which won't be that low if you haven't driven in at least 4 years.

Getting a license is easy but you need a car. You need to do a written and practical test. The written test is a touch screen TV job and if you read the drivers handbook a couple of times you won't have any problems passing that. the practical is a jaunt round the block and a lame attempt at simulating a reverse park. Drive into some cones and either right or left of an end one then reverse back through. I did mine on the same day but you don't have to but you do need to pass the written before doing the practical.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't driven in the past 4 years and don't want to drive illegally. I am just trying to figure out how to get my state licence when I don't have a car and live a long ways out of town.

Look up the DMV in your state and it should link you to the equivalent of the Highway Code. There are usually some online practice questions for the written test. Once you have that, maybe get a couple of refresher lessons with a driving school, and they should be able to offer a service where you can take the test in their car.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 1:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry too much about the road test...it's unbelievably easy. Of course it varies from state to state...when my daughter took hers it took about 5 mins. It was in an empty parking lot....she drove about 50 yards then had to reverse between 2 cones about 50 ft apart.

Try to read up on the highway code...you could contact an instructor and have a 1 hour lesson if you feel a little rusty after not driving for so long.

Good luck.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 1:26 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

You live way out of town, and you haven't driven in 4 years? How on earth have you been getting around?!
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbj1000
You live way out of town, and you haven't driven in 4 years? How on earth have you been getting around?!
This is going to sound pathetic... but my wife did all the driving.

I used to drive all the time in the UK but ever since i've been over here i've pretty much relied on her to get me where I needed to be which of course was a mistake given the situation i'm now in.

I'm still feeling a little dazed at the wife leaving like this but I realise I have to get busy and get my state license.

Is it possible to buy and register a car in my name without a state license?

I'm just wondering if I get a learners permit if I could buy a car and get a friend who has a license (but no car) to ride with me so i'm legal until I pass the test.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Instructor what sort of instructor do you need to tell you how to drive forward for half a mile, turn around, drive back and reverse into an imaginary space ?
Your test will last about 4 minutes.
If you hold a UK licence you have taken a driving test a thousand times more difficult than over here
Old Apr 17th 2010, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible to buy and register a car in my name without a state license?

I'm just wondering if I get a learners permit if I could buy a car and get a friend who has a license (but no car) to ride with me so i'm legal until I pass the test.
Yes, it's possible to buy and register a car without an OH license but you will pay a lot more for insurance. Forget the learners permit, borrow a car from anyone and take the test, it will take you about half an hour.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Yes, it's possible to buy and register a car without an OH license but you will pay a lot more for insurance. Forget the learners permit, borrow a car from anyone and take the test, it will take you about half an hour.
yep ! 12 minutes to drive to and from and 6 for the test
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

He may need a learner license to do the test.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
He has a UK licence.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by JAJ
That's what I was thinking...although I'm betting they won't cotton onto that one.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
He has a UK licence.
He's been a resident in Ohio for 4 yrs so he can't use his UK licence.

Jason...if it was me I would bite the bullet and take the test using a rental car or driving instructor's car. Make sure you have read the driver's handbook/highway code first. I would produce your UK licence and not volunteer any info about how long you've been here...of course if you're asked you must tell the truth.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

He's been a resident in Ohio for 4 yrs so he can't use his UK licence.

Jason...if it was me I would bite the bullet and take the test using a rental car or driving instructor's car. Make sure you have read the driver's handbook/highway code first. I would produce your UK licence and not volunteer any info about how long you've been here...of course if you're asked you must tell the truth.
Yes, but I don't think he'll need a learner's permit if he has that.

PS. Oh I see what you mean that he's not legal to drive because of the time he's been here. That could be a good point.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Apr 17th 2010 at 6:36 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.