Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to send packages back to UK

Cheapest way to send packages back to UK

Old Nov 20th 2014, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

a18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheapest way to send packages back to UK

Originally Posted by WEBlue
LOL, when did UK stamps get so expensive??? Am I wrong when I remember a first class stamp cost around 46p when we left the UK three years ago?
Prepare for outraged comments about the privatisation of Royal Mail as the cause of price increases...

Seriously, the benefits of automation of postal services has reached the limit. Labour is the biggest lump of cost and the unions continue to extract high wages and pensions. So prices have to go up. Economists argue that postal services have essentially been "captured" by the unions (meaning the whole service only exists now to keep union members employed and their pensions being paid).

In Canada, the government has given up fighting the unions and instead abandoning home delivery of mail over the next 5 years (a quarter of Cannucks no longer get mail delivered at home). The Canadian union is outraged, of course, because of the job losses (they say home delivery is a human right ) But the whole shebang is falling of its own weight.

The US postal services loses billions$$. Congress keeps it going. Same problem. Average US postal worker earns 34% more than private sector equivalent.

Sorry for the economic rant, but really, stamps are going to increase along with the wage bill for the foreseeable future.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 8:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fsm
£0.97 for 10g, £1.28 for 20g, £2.15 for 60g from UK - US
$1.15 for 28g, $2.13 for 57g from US - UK

With exchange rates US is far cheaper than the UK
Even on the slow boat?
Old Nov 20th 2014, 9:05 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
Even on the slow boat?
US no longer slow boats. UK 20g £0.81, 60g £1.43 takes approx 6 weeks.

Current exchange rates put that as 20g $1.27, 60g $2.24
Old Nov 21st 2014, 4:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fsm
US no longer slow boats. UK 20g £0.81, 60g £1.43 takes approx 6 weeks.

Current exchange rates put that as 20g $1.27, 60g $2.24
I know, but I was talking about the UK to US, where you said it was more expensive. I asked if that was on the slow boat.

Speaking of slow boat though, a package my mother sent took a week...which is unusually quick.