Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Charlotte INS Q for Exyz or Betastar

Charlotte INS Q for Exyz or Betastar

Old Dec 12th 2001, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

spalla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. My husband just got his interview appointment letter to get his first EAD (1 year). The appointment time is 9:45am on Wednesday, December 19th. We're trying to figure out if we need to get up before the sun rises and get in the line-up outside in order to get into the lobby by the appointment time or not. Since I'm not that crazy about the idea of getting up at 5am to do that, I'm really hoping they let appointment people bypass the line, or the interview place is different than the big lobby, or *something*. Any insight as to how this EAD interview works would be greatly appreciated. Do we have to get in the line? Thanks, Shana
Old Dec 12th 2001, 6:16 pm
Sean

No charlotte is fine, just be there a little early, with your appointment letter just
take a seat and wait to be called. They are real nice in this office and you should
have no problems at all.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Dec 12th 2001, 7:09 pm
Betastar

[usenetquote2]>> Hi. My husband just got his interview appointment letter to get his first EAD (1[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> year). The appointment time is 9:45am on Wednesday, December 19th. We're trying to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> figure out if we need to get up before the sun rises and get in the line-up[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> outside in order to get into the lobby by the appointment time or not. Since I'm[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> not that crazy about the idea of getting up at 5am to do that, I'm really hoping[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> they let appointment people bypass the line, or the interview place is different[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> than the big lobby, or *something*. Any insight as to how this EAD interview works[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> would be greatly appreciated. Do we have to get in the line? Thanks, Shana[/usenetquote2]

I never saw the original post (most likely a Britishexpats thing, as usual), but
THanks to Sean for including the original in his reply

Go at 9:40am on Weds. Walk up to the door, past all those
annoyed-and-tired-looking people who have been waiting since 6am and show your
appointment letter to the guard at the door (most likely a really nice, really tall
black guy). He'll let you in. When you get in, you'll see chairs in the waiting area
in 2 groupings, with an aisle between the groups (just across from the TV/VCR
set-up). Walk down that aisle, and at the end, just past the restrooms, is a door
with a mail-slot. It'll tell you to put your EAD appointment in that mail-slot. Then
sit and wait for your name to be called. Be sure to check your card BEFORE you leave,
including your A# and such.

At least, this is how it was still working a couple of weeks ago when we were
last there.

If you have to go the night before (don't know where you live) I recommend the
Holiday Inn across the street. Usually very quiet and good rates if you work for the
State or are in one of about 10 other categories. Check out Holiday Inn on-line -
they're the Woodlawn one (Or Wood-something)

Betastar

Old Dec 12th 2001, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

spalla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Sean and Betastar. This is good news. I'm so glad we don't have to wait in line again! We were so surprised to get the letter today - we haven't even gotten the Advance Parole. When we applied for AOS/AP/EAD on Nov. 5th they told us the EAD would take twice as long to get as the AP. I can't wait - 2 incomes and only 1 rent bill. Ah, total bliss! Thanks! -Shana
Old Dec 12th 2001, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

icantthink is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Same for Newark?

I have the same question for Newark, except this is for the AOS interview. The time is 1 PM. How much earlier should we get there?

thanks
Old Dec 12th 2001, 10:49 pm
Exyz

[usenetquote2]> >> Hi. My husband just got his interview appointment letter to get his first EAD (1[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> year). The appointment time is 9:45am on Wednesday, December 19th. We're trying[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> to figure out if we need to get up before the sun rises and get in the line-up[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> outside in order to get into the lobby by the appointment time or not. Since I'm[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> not that crazy about[/usenetquote2]
the
[usenetquote2]> >> idea of getting up at 5am to do that, I'm really hoping they let appointment[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> people bypass the line, or the interview place is different than the big lobby,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> or *something*. Any insight as to how this EAD interview works would be greatly[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> appreciated. Do we have to get in the line? Thanks, Shana[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Sorry I didn't see the original post either. Congratulations.

Betastar explained it all. Please let us know if they are still wearing those blue
gloves and check out the lighted sign...don't forget to "DISGUARD" your trash. You
do not have to stand in line for hours...roll in around 9:40...maybe 9:30 (I like to
be early to these things, but it's probably a waste....however, we arrived early to
our AOS interview and they took us right away).

Go the night before unless you live near Charlotte. I can second the Holiday Inn
recommendation..it's quite nice and when we went...there was no one there. It's on
Woodlawn, right off of I-77.

Elaine

Old Dec 13th 2001, 11:40 am
D Parent

Well my appointment was for 12 noon (Charlotte), however I did the early thing
because I was submitting my Advance Parole the same day. I got called right away, for
my EAD, but when I was getting my picture taken the lady said "I never even looked at
the time on your letter, you are lucky to get in so early" So from now on I am going
at the time my appointment letter states.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Dec 13th 2001, 3:18 pm
Novios

you won't have to fight for a place in line so long you have a scheduled appt there,
but i would still arrive 15-20 minutes before the time, (parking, etc.). Charlotte
is usually fairly punctual with appointments, or at least they have been with us. in
fact, we go this tuesday for an early morning appt. with our EAD, we walked in, put
the letter in the door slot and were called back within 5 minutes of doing that.
best wishes!

[usenetquote2]>> Hi. My husband just got his interview appointment letter to get his first EAD (1[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> year). The appointment time is 9:45am on Wednesday, December 19th. We're trying to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> figure out if we need to get up before the sun rises and get in the line-up[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> outside in order to get into the lobby by the appointment time or not.[/usenetquote2]