Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Changes to shipping methods of packages between UK and USA

Changes to shipping methods of packages between UK and USA

Old Feb 19th 2011, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of
Default Changes to shipping methods of packages between UK and USA

After a conversation with someone on Facebook today bemoaning the tardiness of packages from the UK*, he had a look at the Royal Mail website and discovered that due to increased security levels by Homeland Security, some packages that would usually be shipped by Air are actually being shipped by Ocean. Full info here.
So, if you are waiting for something, hang on in there!

It seems that a few other Stateside Brits on another forum were also unaware of the change - but woeful aware of missing packages!

(*Last week I received a package postmarked 12th December, and yesterday one postmarked 14th January)
Old Feb 19th 2011, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Britishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant future
Default Re: Changes to shipping methods of packages between UK and USA

Thanks for that Taffie.

I wondered why my sister in law's parcel (which was certainly not huge) of a calendar and pictures took 7 weeks to get here!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Tracy
Old Feb 20th 2011, 1:54 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that ours had been delayed due to all the snow. We had two turn up, one at the end of January and one the beginning of February. Both posted mid December.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

We ordered some books and were sent a calendar from the UK, they all took over a month. I did hear from somewhere that it was due to security measures of some kind. Shouldn't they refund the postal charge?
Old Feb 20th 2011, 2:01 am
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

Hah! that explains why my birthday present was 5 seeks late... thanks for the info!
Old Feb 20th 2011, 2:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

We're waiting on a few packages from my mother...she sent some clothes for the baby, then when she heard how small she was, sent some premie clothes...if it takes any longer, we'll probably not need them
Old Feb 20th 2011, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Our package from Germany took an extremely long time to arrive, to the point where we thought it never would, and we were also told it was due to security regulations in the US. This may be rather wide-spread.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:41 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, this explains a lot...

We had several packages, posted from the UK in mid-December, that only arrived in mid-February. At that point, I honestly thought the local Post Office had found an undelivered sack of mail in the broom cupboard.

Yay for security -- but no one's going to bother posting us any more Christmas presents after this year's saga
Old Feb 20th 2011, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

janette is on a distinguished road

I left a cell phone in England at Christmas and it arrived here at the beginning of February. I looked at the Royal Mail site to try to track it and it said to allow up to eight weeks! Conversely, I posted a parcel from here to my son in England last Saturday lunch time, and he received it this Saturday - ordinary mail. I think that was excellent service.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Bumping up.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

pat garrett is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in NY and have been waiting three weeks for a parcel from the UK. It contains a replica Leeds Utd shirt. I will be absolutely livid if it gets lost/stolen en route.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pat garrett
I live in NY and have been waiting three weeks for a parcel from the UK. It contains a replica Leeds Utd shirt. I will be absolutely livid if it gets lost/stolen en route.
It could be worse - my FIL bought my H a rugby shirt for Christmas. It arrived in plenty of time, but when he went to try it on, we discovered that it was an XL Boys shirt, instead of an adults. We're now waiting for Issue 2