British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Changes to shipping methods of packages between UK and USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/changes-shipping-methods-packages-between-uk-usa-706092/)

taffie77 Feb 19th 2011 11:07 pm

Changes to shipping methods of packages between UK and USA

After a conversation with someone on Facebook today bemoaning the tardiness of packages from the UK*, he had a look at the Royal Mail website and discovered that due to increased security levels by Homeland Security, some packages that would usually be shipped by Air are actually being shipped by Ocean. Full info here.
So, if you are waiting for something, hang on in there!

It seems that a few other Stateside Brits on another forum were also unaware of the change - but woeful aware of missing packages!

(*Last week I received a package postmarked 12th December, and yesterday one postmarked 14th January)

Britishbees Feb 19th 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Changes to shipping methods of packages between UK and USA

Thanks for that Taffie. :)

I wondered why my sister in law's parcel (which was certainly not huge) of a calendar and pictures took 7 weeks to get here!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbdown:

Regards Tracy

Mummy in the foothills Feb 20th 2011 1:54 am

I thought that ours had been delayed due to all the snow. We had two turn up, one at the end of January and one the beginning of February. Both posted mid December.

Sally Redux Feb 20th 2011 2:00 am

We ordered some books and were sent a calendar from the UK, they all took over a month. I did hear from somewhere that it was due to security measures of some kind. Shouldn't they refund the postal charge?

White-ishRose Feb 20th 2011 2:01 am

Hah! that explains why my birthday present was 5 seeks late... thanks for the info!

Bob Feb 20th 2011 2:21 am

We're waiting on a few packages from my mother...she sent some clothes for the baby, then when she heard how small she was, sent some premie clothes...if it takes any longer, we'll probably not need them :lol:

Kaffy Mintcake Feb 20th 2011 4:23 am

Our package from Germany took an extremely long time to arrive, to the point where we thought it never would, and we were also told it was due to security regulations in the US. This may be rather wide-spread.

MoshiMoshi Feb 20th 2011 5:41 am

Oh, this explains a lot...

We had several packages, posted from the UK in mid-December, that only arrived in mid-February. At that point, I honestly thought the local Post Office had found an undelivered sack of mail in the broom cupboard.

Yay for security -- but no one's going to bother posting us any more Christmas presents after this year's saga :(

janette Feb 20th 2011 4:18 pm

I left a cell phone in England at Christmas and it arrived here at the beginning of February. I looked at the Royal Mail site to try to track it and it said to allow up to eight weeks! Conversely, I posted a parcel from here to my son in England last Saturday lunch time, and he received it this Saturday - ordinary mail. I think that was excellent service.

meauxna Feb 22nd 2011 8:37 pm

Bumping up.

pat garrett Feb 23rd 2011 6:07 pm

I live in NY and have been waiting three weeks for a parcel from the UK. It contains a replica Leeds Utd shirt. I will be absolutely livid if it gets lost/stolen en route.

taffie77 Feb 23rd 2011 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by pat garrett (Post 9196875)
I live in NY and have been waiting three weeks for a parcel from the UK. It contains a replica Leeds Utd shirt. I will be absolutely livid if it gets lost/stolen en route.

It could be worse - my FIL bought my H a rugby shirt for Christmas. It arrived in plenty of time, but when he went to try it on, we discovered that it was an XL Boys shirt, instead of an adults. We're now waiting for Issue 2 :rofl: