Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

change of plan

change of plan

Old Dec 21st 2007, 12:35 am
Just Joined

robert76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default change of plan

having second thoughts about using this dv greencard with 3 weeks left before it expires. i have managed to setup quite a profitable business here which has been 6 yrs in the making. from my research on the web salaries seem far lower then what id make where i am. has anyone packed in a great job/biz to emigrate on their own to the US only to find they've taken a big step down in income/standard of living?. half of me doesnt want to piss away all the work ive done on my biz and the other half doesnt want to piss away a green card. anyone been in a similiar dilemma?

right more calsberg
Old Dec 21st 2007, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

scatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud of
Default Re: change of plan

Originally Posted by robert76
having second thoughts about using this dv greencard with 3 weeks left before it expires. i have managed to setup quite a profitable business here which has been 6 yrs in the making. from my research on the web salaries seem far lower then what id make where i am. has anyone packed in a great job/biz to emigrate on their own to the US only to find they've taken a big step down in income/standard of living?. half of me doesnt want to piss away all the work ive done on my biz and the other half doesnt want to piss away a green card. anyone been in a similiar dilemma?

right more calsberg
Well, you will be damed if you do and damed if you do not. If you decide not to make the move your could regret it for the rest of your life and if you move you may end up regretting that too but at least it would have been a life experience.

For years my husband and I pondered whether to make the move or not. Well we did move after 5 years and run a sucessful biz here and the uk. It takes a lot of gumption to go for it but only you can decide.

What about employing a manager in your home town, come out and give it a go as you will never know if you have done the right thing until you have tried, shame to waste a green card.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 3:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I work with a guy from Florida, he is going back in a few weeks for the winter, we were talking about minimum wages, he said it was $5.50 in Florida, but will be earning a lot more than that, $8 or $9.

All a question of perspective.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 8:33 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert76

right more calsberg
But if you moved over here the quality of your beer consumption couldn't get any worse...
Old Dec 21st 2007, 1:12 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I work with a guy from Florida, he is going back in a few weeks for the winter, we were talking about minimum wages, he said it was $5.50 in Florida, but will be earning a lot more than that, $8 or $9.

Florida's minimum wage is $6.79 per hour, effective January 1, 2008. This is up from the $6.67 per hour minimum wage in 2007.

Yippee
Old Dec 21st 2007, 5:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Florida's minimum wage is $6.79 per hour, effective January 1, 2008. This is up from the $6.67 per hour minimum wage in 2007.

Yippee
break the champers out baby
Old Dec 21st 2007, 5:14 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

Yippee
Have you told Sanchez...
Old Dec 21st 2007, 5:36 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Have you told Sanchez...
He does not come under that that scheme ..
he is slave labor ...
Old Dec 21st 2007, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scatty
Well, you will be damed if you do and damed if you do not. If you decide not to make the move your could regret it for the rest of your life and if you move you may end up regretting that too but at least it would have been a life experience.

For years my husband and I pondered whether to make the move or not. Well we did move after 5 years and run a sucessful biz here and the uk. It takes a lot of gumption to go for it but only you can decide.

What about employing a manager in your home town, come out and give it a go as you will never know if you have done the right thing until you have tried, shame to waste a green card.

thanks scatty,

yes i could get a locum to cover my work although its not ideal it does give me the space for a few months to check out things over the pond. thought about going over a back but this could get on my nerves after a while and would not work over the long term. more thinkin needed
Old Dec 21st 2007, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tonrob
But if you moved over here the quality of your beer consumption couldn't get any worse...
carlsberg is king ive tried them all and you just cant beat a well chilled pint of calsberg. or a pint of magners if the weathers good and the rugbys on
Old Dec 21st 2007, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler

i think if i go it will be to MA probably boston. althought the idea of florida looked good i think from a work point of view id be better off up north
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

I worked for a European Exhibition and show company that was heavily envolved if F1 and World Rally, I earned a f**kin fortune, it was very hard work for a couple of days on arrival at any site, but then a week or so in a hotel getting paid and meetinf very famous people.
I also had 12 weeks paid holiday every winter.

I now have probably the best driving job in the USA. But ! .... I only get 1 week holiday a year and even though the pay is better than any other trucking company and the job is the easiest, it still doesn't compare