British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   change of plan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/change-plan-500944/)

robert76 Dec 21st 2007 12:35 am

change of plan
 
having second thoughts about using this dv greencard with 3 weeks left before it expires. i have managed to setup quite a profitable business here which has been 6 yrs in the making. from my research on the web salaries seem far lower then what id make where i am. has anyone packed in a great job/biz to emigrate on their own to the US only to find they've taken a big step down in income/standard of living?. half of me doesnt want to piss away all the work ive done on my biz and the other half doesnt want to piss away a green card. anyone been in a similiar dilemma?

right more calsberg:beer:

scatty Dec 21st 2007 3:15 am

Re: change of plan
 

Originally Posted by robert76 (Post 5690685)
having second thoughts about using this dv greencard with 3 weeks left before it expires. i have managed to setup quite a profitable business here which has been 6 yrs in the making. from my research on the web salaries seem far lower then what id make where i am. has anyone packed in a great job/biz to emigrate on their own to the US only to find they've taken a big step down in income/standard of living?. half of me doesnt want to piss away all the work ive done on my biz and the other half doesnt want to piss away a green card. anyone been in a similiar dilemma?

right more calsberg:beer:

Well, you will be damed if you do and damed if you do not. If you decide not to make the move your could regret it for the rest of your life and if you move you may end up regretting that too but at least it would have been a life experience.

For years my husband and I pondered whether to make the move or not. Well we did move after 5 years and run a sucessful biz here and the uk. It takes a lot of gumption to go for it but only you can decide.

What about employing a manager in your home town, come out and give it a go as you will never know if you have done the right thing until you have tried, shame to waste a green card.

Boiler Dec 21st 2007 3:56 am

Re: change of plan
 
I work with a guy from Florida, he is going back in a few weeks for the winter, we were talking about minimum wages, he said it was $5.50 in Florida, but will be earning a lot more than that, $8 or $9.

All a question of perspective.

tonrob Dec 21st 2007 8:33 am

Re: change of plan
 

Originally Posted by robert76 (Post 5690685)
having second thoughts about using this dv greencard with 3 weeks left before it expires. i have managed to setup quite a profitable business here which has been 6 yrs in the making. from my research on the web salaries seem far lower then what id make where i am. has anyone packed in a great job/biz to emigrate on their own to the US only to find they've taken a big step down in income/standard of living?. half of me doesnt want to piss away all the work ive done on my biz and the other half doesnt want to piss away a green card. anyone been in a similiar dilemma?

right more calsberg:beer:

But if you moved over here the quality of your beer consumption couldn't get any worse... ;)

Ray Dec 21st 2007 1:12 pm

Re: change of plan
 

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 5691094)
I work with a guy from Florida, he is going back in a few weeks for the winter, we were talking about minimum wages, he said it was $5.50 in Florida, but will be earning a lot more than that, $8 or $9.

All a question of perspective.

Florida's minimum wage is $6.79 per hour, effective January 1, 2008. This is up from the $6.67 per hour minimum wage in 2007.


Yippee

Bob Dec 21st 2007 5:03 pm

Re: change of plan
 

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5692252)
Florida's minimum wage is $6.79 per hour, effective January 1, 2008. This is up from the $6.67 per hour minimum wage in 2007.


Yippee

break the champers out baby :D

Elvira Dec 21st 2007 5:14 pm

Re: change of plan
 

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5692252)
Florida's minimum wage is $6.79 per hour, effective January 1, 2008. This is up from the $6.67 per hour minimum wage in 2007.


Yippee

Have you told Sanchez...:sneaky:

Ray Dec 21st 2007 5:36 pm

Re: change of plan
 

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5692933)
Have you told Sanchez...:sneaky:

He does not come under that that scheme ..
he is slave labor ...

robert76 Dec 21st 2007 7:15 pm

Re: change of plan
 

Originally Posted by scatty (Post 5691033)
Well, you will be damed if you do and damed if you do not. If you decide not to make the move your could regret it for the rest of your life and if you move you may end up regretting that too but at least it would have been a life experience.

For years my husband and I pondered whether to make the move or not. Well we did move after 5 years and run a sucessful biz here and the uk. It takes a lot of gumption to go for it but only you can decide.

What about employing a manager in your home town, come out and give it a go as you will never know if you have done the right thing until you have tried, shame to waste a green card.


thanks scatty,

yes i could get a locum to cover my work although its not ideal it does give me the space for a few months to check out things over the pond. thought about going over a back but this could get on my nerves after a while and would not work over the long term. more thinkin needed

robert76 Dec 21st 2007 7:18 pm

Re: change of plan
 

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 5691581)
But if you moved over here the quality of your beer consumption couldn't get any worse... ;)

carlsberg is king ive tried them all and you just cant beat a well chilled pint of calsberg. or a pint of magners if the weathers good and the rugbys on

robert76 Dec 21st 2007 7:20 pm

Re: change of plan
 

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 5691094)
I work with a guy from Florida, he is going back in a few weeks for the winter, we were talking about minimum wages, he said it was $5.50 in Florida, but will be earning a lot more than that, $8 or $9.

All a question of perspective.


i think if i go it will be to MA probably boston. althought the idea of florida looked good i think from a work point of view id be better off up north

Patrick Hasler Dec 22nd 2007 12:53 am

Re: change of plan
 
I worked for a European Exhibition and show company that was heavily envolved if F1 and World Rally, I earned a f**kin fortune, it was very hard work for a couple of days on arrival at any site, but then a week or so in a hotel getting paid and meetinf very famous people.
I also had 12 weeks paid holiday every winter.

I now have probably the best driving job in the USA. But ! .... I only get 1 week holiday a year and even though the pay is better than any other trucking company and the job is the easiest, it still doesn't compare :(


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:18 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.