Reload this Page >

Cell phone advice

Cell phone advice

Old Apr 22nd 2003, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

ifsmithy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cell phone advice

Hi
I have a mobile phone unlocked from the UK, here in California. Now, I need to know what is the best pay as you go network that will allow me to send and receive texts to the UK. Cingular seem pretty useless when I have been in touch with them and wont tell me who they are partnered with in the UK claiming many european networks bar texts from Cingular, T-mobile seem okay but apparently they have poor reception in Southeren California (where I am).
Does anyone have any experience in this please
Cheers
Ian
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 10:17 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Cell phone advice

Originally posted by ifsmithy
Hi
I have a mobile phone unlocked from the UK, here in California. Now, I need to know what is the best pay as you go network that will allow me to send and receive texts to the UK. Cingular seem pretty useless when I have been in touch with them and wont tell me who they are partnered with in the UK claiming many european networks bar texts from Cingular, T-mobile seem okay but apparently they have poor reception in Southeren California (where I am).
Does anyone have any experience in this please
Cheers
Ian

ALSO ARRIVED IN CALIFORNIA A FEW WEEKS AGO - CINGULAR DO A PAY AS YOU GO SIM CARD FOR SIXTY BUCKS INCLUDING THIRTY BUCKS OF CALLS.
OTHERWISE YOU WILL NEED TO START A CONTRACT.

GARY
[email protected]
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

ifsmithy is an unknown quantity at this point

yes but will this allow me to text people back in europe?
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Good place to post CellPhone questions.

http://howardforums.com/index.php?

Reg. Frank R
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 9:50 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Yes - I havesent text all over the globe (text addict) as long as you enter the full code and dont use +44 etc.

G
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Not on AT&T Wireless, no International SMS as of yet. But can send emails, about 160 characters.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 25th 2003, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

britbiker is an unknown quantity at this point

T-Mobile are the ones you want to go with. They have a Pre-pay SIM deal different for each State in the US and it won't be that attractive to you as in the US they charge for incomming calls too. But I know for a fact that you can text anywhere in the world with them (well to other GSM operators). The only thing you need is a Tri-Band GSM handset, they work on 1900MHz in the UK we use the 900 and 1800 MHz bands!

www.t-mobile.com is the site, for more info. but you'll need to contact a store near you (use the store locator) to find out about costs in your state.

Good luck
Old Apr 26th 2003, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

For those who text from the US to the UK, how much $/c per text???

Also... anyone know if ORANGE is worth going with (as we already have 2 phones on Orange account here in the UK)