What should I do ?

What should I do ?

Old Apr 10th 2003, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

andilister is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What should I do ?

This is my first time on here, so Hello to everyone,

Here is my shortened story:

I came to Denver, USA, 2 years, 7 months ago. For the first year I had a J1 Student Visa, it was in that first year that I met my now girlfriend. I then extended the J1 Visa by half a year and then applied for and recieved a three year H1B Visa, on which I have 1 year and 9 months left.
My girlfriend and me are very serious about our relationship and are now considering the future. We see our options as marriage, and her getting Irish Citizenship (due to her great grandmother moving to the U.S. from Ireland ??) and moving to Britain.
We think we have time on our side with my Visa but want to know what to do to get the ball rolling, and how soon we should start?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Many thanks
Andi Lister
Old Apr 10th 2003, 10:07 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if it's the same as in Britain, but I don't think a great-grandmother would qualify your girlfriend for an Irish passport. If you don't wish to marry but both want to live in the UK, and will have been living together for 2 years by the time your visa expires, then an 'unmarried partner' visa for the UK may be an option.
Old Apr 14th 2003, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

andilister is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 'unmarried partner'?

Thanks for the reply. What is an 'unmarried partner' visa? This is the first time I have heard of one. Is it only britain that has it or is there one in the U.S.A. ? Could you give me more details or direct me to more details please? Can my girlfriend work in britain with such a Visa ???

Once again many thanks

Andi Lister

Originally posted by MrsLondon
Not sure if it's the same as in Britain, but I don't think a great-grandmother would qualify your girlfriend for an Irish passport. If you don't wish to marry but both want to live in the UK, and will have been living together for 2 years by the time your visa expires, then an 'unmarried partner' visa for the UK may be an option.
Old Apr 16th 2003, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Biggus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Denver

Andi,
What is Denver like as a city, my wife job may well be moving out there in the next 3/4months and would like to get an insiders guide to the city. I have read info on various websites but the inside line on somewhere with personal experiences would be cool. Where are the best areas to live etc. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanking you in advance
Kind Regards

Ben Hough
aka Biggus
Old Apr 26th 2003, 7:42 pm
Anthony Costello

Grolb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What should I do ?

Originally posted by andilister
This is my first time on here, so Hello to everyone,

Here is my shortened story:

I came to Denver, USA, 2 years, 7 months ago. For the first year I had a J1 Student Visa, it was in that first year that I met my now girlfriend. I then extended the J1 Visa by half a year and then applied for and recieved a three year H1B Visa, on which I have 1 year and 9 months left.
My girlfriend and me are very serious about our relationship and are now considering the future. We see our options as marriage, and her getting Irish Citizenship (due to her great grandmother moving to the U.S. from Ireland ??) and moving to Britain.
We think we have time on our side with my Visa but want to know what to do to get the ball rolling, and how soon we should start?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Many thanks
Andi Lister

You need a grandparent to obtain an Irish passport, and you have to submit evidence of the GP's place of birth.