Car towed

Old May 25th 2010, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light
Default Car towed

As the Marriott charges $33 for overnight parking, I parked my car on a meter in downtown LA Sunday night. I showed up early Monday morning to feed the meter but the car was gone. According to the signs, the pay period did not begin until nine so initially I thought it had been stolen. But it turned out it had been towed.

The place it had been towed to was on the other side of Skid Row, which is an amazing place. Block after block of homeless, sick and mentally ill people. I never knew such a place existed in LA.

So I walked through all that on foot. It took me about two hours to find the car pound. They told me that there was no parking allowed between 7 and 9, and even though there was no sign stating this on the block I parked my car “there didn’t need to be”.

They would not accept my driving license, insurance card and passport as proof of ID. They would only accept the original car title. I was glad that I had it back at the hotel. If I didn’t, and had to get a replacement, I would have lost the car. They charge $100 per day storage fee, and to wait a week for a replacement from the DMV would have been too costly.

I walked back through Skid Row to the hotel, grabbed the title and returned. They then released the car. It took me most of the day and cost me $246 plus an $80 ticket - $326.

I wish I’d have paid the Marriott rate now!
Old May 25th 2010, 5:51 am
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car towed

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
As the Marriott charges $33 for overnight parking, I parked my car on a meter in downtown LA Sunday night. I showed up early Monday morning to feed the meter but the car was gone. According to the signs, the pay period did not begin until nine so initially I thought it had been stolen. But it turned out it had been towed.

The place it had been towed to was on the other side of Skid Row, which is an amazing place. Block after block of homeless, sick and mentally ill people. I never knew such a place existed in LA.

So I walked through all that on foot. It took me about two hours to find the car pound. They told me that there was no parking allowed between 7 and 9, and even though there was no sign stating this on the block I parked my car “there didn’t need to be”.

They would not accept my driving license, insurance card and passport as proof of ID. They would only accept the original car title. I was glad that I had it back at the hotel. If I didn’t, and had to get a replacement, I would have lost the car. They charge $100 per day storage fee, and to wait a week for a replacement from the DMV would have been too costly.

I walked back through Skid Row to the hotel, grabbed the title and returned. They then released the car. It took me most of the day and cost me $246 plus an $80 ticket - $326.

Almost all tow companies, particularly those enforcing so called "private parking/street metering" etc...are a bunch of thieving gypsy bastards...

We call em "cowboy" companies just a few hours south of you...

Personally I think you were brave to leave your car parked in any areas of LA...Lesson learned eh...
Old May 25th 2010, 10:39 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus! That's terrible.

I go to all kinds of lengths to avoid having to pay exorbitant hotel parking charges myself. Sometimes I find trawling through TripAdvisor reviews yields hints and tips on cheaper alternatives. I wouldn't have shoved it in the Marriott's $33 parking either!
Old May 25th 2010, 11:56 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Wankers.

What are you supposed to do if the title's in the car, then?
Old May 25th 2010, 12:59 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

You might want to check whether that's true. If not, you may have a course of action against them.
Old May 25th 2010, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Wankers.

They let you into the pound supervised to get it out of the car.

Sorry to hear that Bladerunner, what a nightmare.
Old May 25th 2010, 1:34 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
They let you into the pound supervised to get it out of the car.
Oh. Well, that's not so bad, I suppose.
Old May 25th 2010, 3:44 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Wankers.

Title? I don't even know where my titles are. I suppose the bank has one. I probably have the other.

Do you mean registration? The car's registration. Keeping a title in a car is a bad idea if it gets stolen.
Old May 25th 2010, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Title? I don't even know where my titles are. I suppose the bank has one. I probably have the other.

Do you mean registration? The car's registration. Keeping a title in a car is a
bad idea if it gets stolen.
That's what I was going to ask. I've never kept my title in the car, because there isn't a legal need to. And actually, in some states, if there is a lien on the car you do not get the title at all - the lien holder keeps it until the lien is paid off. I found this out when we lived in Ohio.
Old May 25th 2010, 4:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

"I never knew such a place existed in LA."

You really have to be careful wondering around cities you're not familiar with.

I remember something similar happened to a girl who was out partying in NYC. She walked to the car pound located on the West Side Highway...because she'd been drinking they refused to release her car. She began to walk along the main road and was picked up by a guy in a passing car. I'm sure you can guess the rest.
Old May 25th 2010, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tonrob
Jesus! That's terrible.

I go to all kinds of lengths to avoid having to pay exorbitant hotel parking charges myself. Sometimes I find trawling through TripAdvisor reviews yields hints and tips on cheaper alternatives. I wouldn't have shoved it in the Marriott's $33 parking either!
I used Priceline, and didn't want the Marriott. Trouble is, sometimes they "upgrade" you to a higher level of hotel for the same price you offer. In such a case you can end up paying up to $50 extra for parking, Internet and "resort fees" that a lower star hotel wouldn't charge.

But yeah, lesson learned. I should have at least put it in a car park.
Old May 25th 2010, 8:23 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
"I never knew such a place existed in LA."

You really have to be careful wondering around cities you're not familiar with.

I remember something similar happened to a girl who was out partying in NYC. She walked to the car pound located on the West Side Highway...because she'd been drinking they refused to release her car. She began to walk along the main road and was picked up by a guy in a passing car. I'm sure you can guess the rest.
The was an episode of Law and Order.
Old May 25th 2010, 8:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
The was an episode of Law and Order.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Jennifer_Moore
Old May 25th 2010, 9:12 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. So are you saying the killer got the idea from Law and Order?
Old May 25th 2010, 10:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just got to find city parking with cheap parking fines...usually cheaper paying a parking fine in Needham ($25) than it is for actual parking...saying that, to many tickets and they will tow the car