Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car rental ideas

Wikiposts

Car rental ideas

Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car rental ideas

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Yeah, but firstly, the clerk isn't going to know all the different codes for different cards, and secondly, billing address can be completely different from the renter's address.
clerk wont know but they system will - when you give a US address that wont tally with the UK license - you may get away with it but i would have a plan b!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

RichardWindsor is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your suggestions guys!! Unfortunately I can't renew the NY licence because it is past 2 years expired. Trust me I'm kicking myself on that one!!

As for the credit card, the 'Bank Of America' logo on the front might give it away

Plan B is to get a cab to the hotel for like 50 bucks, but I know I can get a rental for 4 days for $100 so with a round trip I'm better off getting the car.

I will report back what happens when I get there. My first stop tomorrow is going to be NY DMV and see if I can't renew the licence anyway. I'm going to try the dumb foreigner routine, or, if I'm lucky I might just get someone who isn't paying much attention.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 12:41 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Car rental ideas

Originally Posted by RichardWindsor
Thanks for all your suggestions guys!! Unfortunately I can't renew the NY licence because it is past 2 years expired. Trust me I'm kicking myself on that one!!

As for the credit card, the 'Bank Of America' logo on the front might give it away

Plan B is to get a cab to the hotel for like 50 bucks, but I know I can get a rental for 4 days for $100 so with a round trip I'm better off getting the car.

I will report back what happens when I get there. My first stop tomorrow is going to be NY DMV and see if I can't renew the licence anyway. I'm going to try the dumb foreigner routine, or, if I'm lucky I might just get someone who isn't paying much attention.
Don't let them keep your UK licence at the DMV! Tell them that you still have the property at the address on your GB licence and need it when you go on trips to the UK. It would be a pain to replace if they retain it as you will probably never see it again!
Old Mar 11th 2008, 12:47 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

big lesson you've learnt from this but as i've travelled a lot i know it's always best to keep 'your stuff' up to date whatever country you live in coz you never know when you might need them, makes life easier

good luck and watch these roads in Tx
Old Mar 11th 2008, 2:17 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

I just joined today and I have a specific question that I hope one of you can help me with.

I live in NY and because I don't use a car I let my licence expire more than two years ago. Next month I am heading to Texas and I'm trying to rent a car using my British licence. Here is my problem though, I only have an American credit card. What do you think the chances are of me winging it and renting a car under those circumstances? I'm not sure if I can pull it off with a passport or Green Card as proof of ID. Plus, I'm hearing that there is a new type of drivers licence now and all I have is the old paper one.

Any suggestions?

Rich.
If I were you, I'd renew your NY driver's license. It would be odd to pull out a US Green Card as ID and then attempt to rent a vehicle on a foreign license seeing as a GC suggests residency in the US.

Edit: just read a post from you. If you can't renew, just do all the tests again and get a valid NY license. When my spouse returned from the UK to the US, he had to do all parts of the driving test to get an NC driver's license and he hadn't driven in four years (and didn't even refer to the NC Driver's Handbook either before he took the tests).
Just out of interest, when you need to show picture ID in NY, what do you show?

Last edited by NC Penguin; Mar 11th 2008 at 2:21 am.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Re take the test, its not difficult.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:45 am
Just Joined

RichardWindsor is an unknown quantity at this point

Trust me, if it was that simple I would retake it in a heartbeat!! Unfortunately here in NY, with no exceptions, if your licence expires you have to apply for a learners permit and then attend a DMV approved school for accreditation. Pretty assanine really when considering when I first got my licence in Maryland I drove to the DMV myself, drove around a parking lot, and got the licence straight away.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Trust me, if it was that simple I would retake it in a heartbeat!! Unfortunately here in NY, with no exceptions, if your licence expires you have to apply for a learners permit and then attend a DMV approved school for accreditation. Pretty assanine really when considering when I first got my licence in Maryland I drove to the DMV myself, drove around a parking lot, and got the licence straight away.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments.
As I said, its not difficult. USA, revolves around driving licences. Or State ID card. Passport is a must, at least incase of emergency. Or in your case a trip to Texas.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Don't let them keep your UK licence at the DMV! Tell them that you still have the property at the address on your GB licence and need it when you go on trips to the UK. It would be a pain to replace if they retain it as you will probably never see it again!
Dont even tell them you have a UK licence - it makes NO difference to you getting a US one and they will take it regardless of what you say!
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
Dont even tell them you have a UK licence - it makes NO difference to you getting a US one and they will take it regardless of what you say!
It does in NJ...if you have an UK license you only take the written test.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Birt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to all

Don't know if this is too late but I heard that renting cars at airports can be dearer as they add a premium. Best to find a regular office location in a town.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It does in NJ...if you have an UK license you only take the written test.
sorry - i meant in NY (where OP is) NJ must be the easiest state then!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
sorry - i meant in NY (where OP is) NJ must be the easiest state then!
You're not kidding there. When my daughter took her driving test it consisted of driving about 400 yds in an empty car park. Then parking between 2 cones about 100 yds apart. It took all of 5 minutes.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 12:39 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Car rental ideas

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You're not kidding there. When my daughter took her driving test it consisted of driving about 400 yds in an empty car park. Then parking between 2 cones about 100 yds apart. It took all of 5 minutes.
Was that at the Wayne DMV? My son's experience was exactly the same.

It's appalling - no wonder driving standards are so poor here.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 1:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Was that at the Wayne DMV? My son's experience was exactly the same.

It's appalling - no wonder driving standards are so poor here.
Randolph.

Don't you just love it the way people (including truck drivers) reverse down the motorway when they've missed the exit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.