Reload this Page >

Car rental ideas

Car rental ideas

Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

RichardWindsor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car rental ideas

Hey guys,

I just joined today and I have a specific question that I hope one of you can help me with.

I live in NY and because I don't use a car I let my licence expire more than two years ago. Next month I am heading to Texas and I'm trying to rent a car using my British licence. Here is my problem though, I only have an American credit card. What do you think the chances are of me winging it and renting a car under those circumstances? I'm not sure if I can pull it off with a passport or Green Card as proof of ID. Plus, I'm hearing that there is a new type of drivers licence now and all I have is the old paper one.

Any suggestions?

Rich.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car rental ideas

Originally Posted by RichardWindsor
Hey guys,

I just joined today and I have a specific question that I hope one of you can help me with.

I live in NY and because I don't use a car I let my licence expire more than two years ago. Next month I am heading to Texas and I'm trying to rent a car using my British licence. Here is my problem though, I only have an American credit card. What do you think the chances are of me winging it and renting a car under those circumstances? I'm not sure if I can pull it off with a passport or Green Card as proof of ID. Plus, I'm hearing that there is a new type of drivers licence now and all I have is the old paper one.

Any suggestions?

Rich.

you should be able to rent using your old uk paper licence, i have in the past. have you contacted any rentals and asked them?
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Not yet I haven't, no. I think the problem I am envisioning is that my residence is of course America, I'm just not sure if I can mix and match licence and credit card.

Rich.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

Not yet I haven't, no. I think the problem I am envisioning is that my residence is of course America, I'm just not sure if I can mix and match licence and credit card.

Rich.
yep, i realise that. i was living here, just moved over and rented a car using my usa c/card and my uk paper licence with my uk address on it naturally and it was no problem. that was 6 yrs ago and so not sure of the rules and regs now. guess you could ask a rental and use an alias
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Well I appreciate your advice, there at least seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel. I was also hoping that the folks in San Antonio were as dumb as planks and that it will be a breeze I mean, my British licence is valid of course. The only other slight problem is that my passport expired years ago I've been known to procrastinate a bit

So what I have is a British licence, an expired NY licence, an expired passport and a valid green card!! I'm hoping just to show my licence and get the car.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:46 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Car rental ideas

Well I appreciate your advice, there at least seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel. I was also hoping that the folks in San Antonio were as dumb as planks and that it will be a breeze I mean, my British licence is valid of course. The only other slight problem is that my passport expired years ago I've been known to procrastinate a bit

So what I have is a British licence, an expired NY licence, an expired passport and a valid green card!! I'm hoping just to show my licence and get the car.

It would seem that you live in NYC or one of the boroughs, so it's pretty obvious why you don't have a car.

I doubt that you will have a problem with your car rental, if you're in a chatty mood and they ask - just tell them that you only tend to drive these days when you're back home in the UK and split your time between both countries and of course tell them that no-one in their right mind would pay the crazy prices to keep a car in New York since it's a nightmare finding a parking space and it costs the Earth blah, blah, blah....

Do bear in mind though that it's probably best to take out car rental insurance and not rely on the coverage on your credit card (the cc companies rely on the fact that you have insurance for your own American car, which of course you don't have!).
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

so your passport has expired as well, however they may not even look at that if you do produce it. they may ask for another form of ID if you don't offer your passport as they may not realise what a green card is, pretty country folks out here in Tx Don't want to tell any real porkies that it may invalidate your insurance, have you ever driven in Texas?

best bet is to call a few of the rental companies and check up, tell them what you've got and take it from there. good luck and enjoy your visit.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

Any suggestions?

Rich.
Hope works out. For future ref, suggest you Renew passport, get new NY DL. These items are very useful in USA.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:42 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Am I missing something? How would the clerk know whether the CC is issued in the US, UK, Malawi...?
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Am I missing something? How would the clerk know whether the CC is issued in the US, UK, Malawi...?
The address that goes with the card.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:48 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

The first numbers on credit cards identify the issuing country.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

sometimes when a company runs it through their system it picks up where the c/c is issued for example i have just tried to use a usa c/c last week to pay my uk car insurance and the company said their system would not accept it, showed up it was not a uk issued card. luckily i have uk c/c's so it was not a problem for me but i know some companies c/c machines can pick up if it's a foreign issue.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:54 pm

Question Re: Car rental ideas

Is a green card on its own ok for ID when taking a domestic flight?

I know one is supposed to carry it around but I just think of the hassle of replacing it if I lose my purse or if it is stolen, so I just show my NJ driving licence for ID on domestic flights.

It might be worth getting a new NY driving licence even if you don't have a car...costs barely anything!

However, I guess if you get stopped in Texas and show your British driving licence at least they can't put points on it!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 11:33 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but firstly, the clerk isn't going to know all the different codes for different cards, and secondly, billing address can be completely different from the renter's address.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 12:11 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you don't get the wise idea like this guy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080306/...zQIFQfqy3tiBIF

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.