Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car question ?

Car question ?

Old Feb 13th 2011, 12:11 am
Banned

Pistonbroke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car question ?

Hello, I am new on here and fairly new to the USA.
I have some questions about the difference between european and american cars.
I recently obtained a 2005 Honda Civic, it's a nice little car and is very cheap to run etc, why does the american auto industry insist on a 3000 mile service and oil change interval ? My Honda service book quite clearly states oil changes and services should be carried out at 7500 miles. It seems to me a way for the US to sell more oil. I took out an extended warranty on my car and if I don't follow the 3000 mile rule it becomes invalid.
On another subject to do with american cars I have looked into the new Chevy Volt (not that I can afford one) but they advertise that this brilliant inovative car will do 35 - 40 miles on a charge before switching to gasoline. Why then does the British version, the 'Vaxhall Ampera' do 3 times the milage before needing to switch or re-charge ?
It just seems to me that this country's auto industry is ripping people off right left and center. Do they think we don't research these things ?
I contacted Chevy on a chat forum and when I bought up these qustions they cut me off
Thank you for reading my moan.
Philip.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car question ?

Hi Philip,

3,000 miles for an oil change used to be pretty typical, but nowadays I agree that most cars can go longer. We change ours every 5,000 miles. As for the extended warranty, it sounds like you're stuck if that is their guideline ... I'm guessing they just want to make sure the car is maintained if they will continue to cover it, but I don't understand why the guideline is stricter than Honda's. Is the extended warranty through Honda or your dealer??

As for your other comment - I don't know what to tell you. It sounds like the European versions are ahead of the American ones if they can hold a charge 3x as long ... but your question on the other forum may have struck members as a bit snotty, which is why they may have been unresponsive. Think about it, it's not really a question, right? It reads more as you pointing out what is superior about the European version of a car vs. an American one ... so there isn't much room for discussion. It reminded me of a girl I knew growing up who was originally from France and frequently started sentences with "I think it's better the way we do it in France ..."

Just my $0.02. Good luck!

Kaffy
Old Feb 13th 2011, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny because Brits back home always think everything in the US is far superior. I was just reading a British detective novel about a girl being totally paralysed and a strand of the story was about how much better and more advanced her treatment would be in America. If an American over there says, "I think it's better the way we do it in the US" they will get plenty of people agreeing with them.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 1:19 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistonbroke
On another subject to do with american cars I have looked into the new Chevy Volt (not that I can afford one) but they advertise that this brilliant inovative car will do 35 - 40 miles on a charge before switching to gasoline. Why then does the British version, the 'Vaxhall Ampera' do 3 times the milage before needing to switch or re-charge ?.
Curious, the Vauxhall website says 25-50 miles and other parts say "up to 50" and other parts say "40." In other words, that is not "three times."

Also, the recommended oil change interval is a matter of contention. And old habits die hard, I guess. Here is what a leading US automotive site, www.edmunds.com, has to say about the subject.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 2:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The 3K is to take into account the massive variation in climate across the country.

You've got some states which get below zero in winter and others way in the 100's during summer.

It's just an average figure....but if you've looked in the engine block, it does sludge up a lot if you don't get the oil changed regularly, though you'll probably be alright at the 5K mark etc. Definitely get further mileage with synthetic oil blends though.

We've got to do ours fairly regularly apparently though, and use synthetic, because the awesomeness of Saab has the cat cooking regular oil and it sludge's pretty hard. We're just had the gaskets done recently and with the block taken apart, it was a thick mess in there that had to get scraped out....because our old regular garage used normal oil on the changes. Awesome.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

3,000 miles is the "severe driving conditions" number.

The recommendation for "normal conditions" is usually more like 6,000 miles.

If the service manual for your vehicle says 7,500 miles I don't see how they (who, exactly are "they", by the way ...) can insist on oil changes every 3,000 miles to maintain the warranty, but the problem likely is that you got suckered into buying an extended warranty plan that almost certainly isn't worth the money that you paid for it.

If your Honda has survived for 5 years the chances are that it will last for another 10 at least without having any problems that would be covered by the extended warranty. The only things that you will have to do to that car will be maintenance for normal wear and tear - new tires, replacing the brake pads and possibly replacing the timing belt - none of which will be covered by your extended warranty. You will not have any engine or drive train problems.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 12:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Hi Philip,

3,000 miles for an oil change used to be pretty typical, but nowadays I agree that most cars can go longer. We change ours every 5,000 miles. As for the extended warranty, it sounds like you're stuck if that is their guideline ... I'm guessing they just want to make sure the car is maintained if they will continue to cover it, but I don't understand why the guideline is stricter than Honda's. Is the extended warranty through Honda or your dealer??

As for your other comment - I don't know what to tell you. It sounds like the European versions are ahead of the American ones if they can hold a charge 3x as long ... but your question on the other forum may have struck members as a bit snotty, which is why they may have been unresponsive. Think about it, it's not really a question, right? It reads more as you pointing out what is superior about the European version of a car vs. an American one ... so there isn't much room for discussion. It reminded me of a girl I knew growing up who was originally from France and frequently started sentences with "I think it's better the way we do it in France ..."

Just my $0.02. Good luck!

Kaffy
Thanks kaffy, its a dealer warranty, not honda, I contacted Honda's web site after posting that thread and they told me the 3000 is just an american way of selling more oil LOL
Servicing every 7500 is all that is required for Honda warranty.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 12:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Curious, the Vauxhall website says 25-50 miles and other parts say "up to 50" and other parts say "40." In other words, that is not "three times."

Also, the recommended oil change interval is a matter of contention. And old habits die hard, I guess. Here is what a leading US automotive site, www.edmunds.com, has to say about the subject.
I looked up the Vaxhall site and it said 100 - 120 miles
Old Feb 13th 2011, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks kaffy, its a dealer warranty, not honda, I contacted Honda's web site after posting that thread and they told me the 3000 is just an american way of selling more oil LOL
That makes sense. Maybe the dealer is hoping you'll change your oil with them, thus more $$$. (In fact, I wonder if they require that.) I assume you're locked into the extended warranty with the dealer?
Old Feb 13th 2011, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

My 2008 Ford focus also states 7500 miles between scheduled oil changes. So maybe 7500 is the new 3000 as they say
Old Feb 13th 2011, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

I just got a 2010 Toyota and we get free services for the first 25,000. We have to take it in every 5,000 miles. There's even an annoying little light that comes on incase we forget. That's in the US btw.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 2:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
That makes sense. Maybe the dealer is hoping you'll change your oil with them, thus more $$$. (In fact, I wonder if they require that.) I assume you're locked into the extended warranty with the dealer?
I thought it was a federal thing that said they couldn't force you to take regular maintenance services at the dealer, so getting oil changes etc at any garage shouldn't void the warranty.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 2001 Honda Civic. I have the oil changed twice a year - that's it and the car runs great.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You would be using 110v for the Volt, 240v for the Amperage.

QED

The oil thing is just an old habit and it is pretty cheap here to get it changed and have a minimal check up at the same time.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
The oil thing is just an old habit and it is pretty cheap here to get it changed and have a minimal check up at the same time.
That's the way I look at it. I'm more worried about getting stranded somewhere here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.