Reload this Page >

Car Query For US Travel

Car Query For US Travel

Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

RIDD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Query For US Travel

Hi all

We are looking for a bit of advice and this looks just the place to get it. We are planning a 3 month trip around the US next year so have the following question:

We want to use a vehicle so we can go whereever we feel like and obviously to hire a car for 3 months would be a big outlay so we have some friends in AK and wondered, is it possible to use a car that is registered to US citizens (we would buy it and register in their names) and also have them insure it etc and then we just use it as our own and then leave it with them to sell after we leave?

I am sure theres an easy answer but they live in remote area so we dont speak that often unless they are in town.

Any advice would be really helpfull.

Thanks a lot

Geoff

PS - We are UK citizens
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:03 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Query For US Travel

Find a long term rental company. You would do better to rent for the long term, you'd get a great deal. Cheaper than I'd say, teh value you'd lose buying a car, paying taxes on it, fixing it if it breaks down and then the loss of selling it... (plus associated risks).

For 3 months, you would really be mad to buy car... (I used to sell cars )..
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:06 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, plus the registration fees and all that... YUK...

Check your credit card company and see if they cover "insurance" in the USA. There might be a maximum of 1 month but get 2 more credit cards with the same cover and do 3 x 1 month rentals...

Just *maybe* also, when you've got some rates, call some of the local managers at the airports / rental places where you'll be. Some of the managers have GREAT discretion and will cut you a deal.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

RIDD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by franc11s
Oh, plus the registration fees and all that... YUK...

Check your credit card company and see if they cover "insurance" in the USA. There might be a maximum of 1 month but get 2 more credit cards with the same cover and do 3 x 1 month rentals...

Just *maybe* also, when you've got some rates, call some of the local managers at the airports / rental places where you'll be. Some of the managers have GREAT discretion and will cut you a deal.
Thanks a lot for that advice, if anyone has any companies to suggest that do longer term rental please feel free to shout up!!

Thanks Again !!