Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the States - North Carolina??

Moving back to the States - North Carolina??

Old Jun 17th 2007, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold
Smile Moving back to the States - North Carolina??

Hello All,

I've recently found myself reading this forum again after 3 years hoping that it will help me in my dilema. I am currently contemplating a move back to the States - specifically North Carolina. I had been in the States for 8 years 96 - 04 when I relocated back to the UK after a divorce so that my children could get to know England, family and friends. After almost 3 years of renting I have finally realised after a lot of effort that trying to buy a home here large enough for my family is near impossible and would leave me struggling every month. With house prices continuing to rise I have decided that it would be in our best interest to relocate back to the States. Benefits are lower cost of living, ease of buying a home, job opportunities in my industry and my children would be able to have more contact with their Father.

I'd really appreciate any first hand knowledge on the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area as this is where I plan to relocate to. I have been there once to interview but was not able to stay for very long and look around. Pro's and con's would really help me to decide i.e. education, cost of homes, weather (I have heard that the bugs there can be bad!). I'd really like to make sure I'm making the right decision. I have previously lived in Colorado and Minnesota but feel that North Carolina being on the east coast would at least allow me to be closer to the UK - less flying time and cost of going home.

Any thoughts/advice/help would be greatly appreciated
Old Jun 17th 2007, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the States - North Carolina??

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
Hello All,

I've recently found myself reading this forum again after 3 years hoping that it will help me in my dilema. I am currently contemplating a move back to the States - specifically North Carolina. I had been in the States for 8 years 96 - 04 when I relocated back to the UK after a divorce so that my children could get to know England, family and friends. After almost 3 years of renting I have finally realised after a lot of effort that trying to buy a home here large enough for my family is near impossible and would leave me struggling every month. With house prices continuing to rise I have decided that it would be in our best interest to relocate back to the States. Benefits are lower cost of living, ease of buying a home, job opportunities in my industry and my children would be able to have more contact with their Father.

I'd really appreciate any first hand knowledge on the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area as this is where I plan to relocate to. I have been there once to interview but was not able to stay for very long and look around. Pro's and con's would really help me to decide i.e. education, cost of homes, weather (I have heard that the bugs there can be bad!). I'd really like to make sure I'm making the right decision. I have previously lived in Colorado and Minnesota but feel that North Carolina being on the east coast would at least allow me to be closer to the UK - less flying time and cost of going home.

hi, i just read thru ur old posts, been a very busy few years for u!! wow!!

hope everything works out for u and coming back is really the answer u are looking for ...
Old Jun 17th 2007, 12:09 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I have previously lived in Colorado and Minnesota but feel that North Carolina being on the east coast would at least allow me to be closer to the UK - less flying time and cost of going home.

Hi,

Raleigh Durham International has (I think) only one direct flight to London (Gatwick) on American Airlines, and of course, you can connect throughout the East Coast to London. Of course if you are connecting, then you can just as easily live in Minnesota and connect through Ohare, or some other feeder airport location (etc, etc).

If airports are a major concern, then you may look a little farther north to the Northern Virginia area where Dulles airport has about 5-7 flights a day to London on three different airlines, and nearby BWI has a couple as well. More flights generally = lower cost. Probably costs a bit more to live though.

As for R-D-CH, I've only been through a couple of times. Kind of college towns, though not necessarily in the sense of Cambridge. If you are looking for a bigger city at slightly less cost than most bigger cities you might consider Charlotte, NC.

As for bugs, they're pretty much everywhere.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 2:46 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Hi,

Raleigh Durham International has (I think) only one direct flight to London (Gatwick) on American Airlines, and of course, you can connect throughout the East Coast to London. Of course if you are connecting, then you can just as easily live in Minnesota and connect through Ohare, or some other feeder airport location (etc, etc).

If airports are a major concern, then you may look a little farther north to the Northern Virginia area where Dulles airport has about 5-7 flights a day to London on three different airlines, and nearby BWI has a couple as well. More flights generally = lower cost. Probably costs a bit more to live though.

As for R-D-CH, I've only been through a couple of times. Kind of college towns, though not necessarily in the sense of Cambridge. If you are looking for a bigger city at slightly less cost than most bigger cities you might consider Charlotte, NC.

The OP mentions difficulty in being able to afford a house in MN. If that's the case, homes within a 50 mile radius of DC and much of Northern VA and Southern MD are more than likely out of her price range (as they are many Americans).

Last edited by NC Penguin; Jun 17th 2007 at 2:57 pm. Reason: Additional info
Old Jun 17th 2007, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

BROMLEYGIRL! How are you? Good to see ya (formerly izibear)
Old Jun 17th 2007, 2:55 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All,

Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill are known as the Triangle. The three main counties in the Triangle are Wake, Durham and Orange. Research Triangle Park (located in both Wake and Durham counties) is the major business hub and draws people from all over the world (commercial, research and non-profit).

You can use realtor.com to get a feel for house prices in the Triangle. You will notice a big difference in the cost of homes between the three cities. The housing market is a buyers market at the moment. Houses are selling much slower than say a year ago.

The Triangle is in the Piedmont region of the state and probably has the best weather because we don't have a coastline and are very rarely susceptible to hurricanes and flooding. We don't get the colder temperatures familar in the west of the state nor the snow (Durham's had 0.5 inch of snow over the last two winters). However, being in the central of the state, the mountains and the coast are less than 3 hours away (opposite directions of course).

If you have specific questions about the Triangle, feel free to send me a Private Message.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Deedee13
hi, i just read thru ur old posts, been a very busy few years for u!! wow!!

hope everything works out for u and coming back is really the answer u are looking for ...
Thanks Deedee! Yes, I know the past 3 - 4 years have been a roller coaster. I feel myself trying to shout slow down I want to get off.
Yes, I really do hope that I can finally settle somewhere.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill are known as the Triangle. The three main counties in the Triangle are Wake, Durham and Orange. Research Triangle Park (located in both Wake and Durham counties) is the major business hub and draws people from all over the world (commercial, research and non-profit).

You can use realtor.com to get a feel for house prices in the Triangle. You will notice a big difference in the cost of homes between the three cities. The housing market is a buyers market at the moment. Houses are selling much slower than say a year ago.

The Triangle is in the Piedmont region of the state and probably has the best weather because we don't have a coastline and are very rarely susceptible to hurricanes and flooding. We don't get the colder temperatures familar in the west of the state nor the snow (Durham's had 0.5 inch of snow over the last two winters). However, being in the central of the state, the mountains and the coast are less than 3 hours away (opposite directions of course).

If you have specific questions about the Triangle, feel free to send me a Private Message.
Thanks NC, I have been looking at realtor.com and the homes do seem to look nice there. I'd really like to know what it is really like to live there warts and all just so I know what I'm getting myself into.

I have heard that there is a once a day flight to Heathrow that they call the Brit Bus! If that's ok I will PM you directly.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Hi,

Airports are not a major concernn but it would be so much nicer to be on the east coast instead of mid and upper mid west. Reduced travelling times figure highly when you have children in tow!!

I don't think I could ever live back in MN again after 3 years of snow - this is why I am looking at NC for better weather.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 11:14 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Airports are not a major concernn but it would be so much nicer to be on the east coast instead of mid and upper mid west. Reduced travelling times figure highly when you have children in tow!!

I don't think I could ever live back in MN again after 3 years of snow - this is why I am looking at NC for better weather.
I live in Chicago and can leave my place here and be back at my parents house in the UK in 13 hours, door to door - not bad if you ask me.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 1:18 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Thanks NC, I have been looking at realtor.com and the homes do seem to look nice there. I'd really like to know what it is really like to live there warts and all just so I know what I'm getting myself into.

I have heard that there is a once a day flight to Heathrow that they call the Brit Bus! If that's ok I will PM you directly.
The direct American Airlines flight to the UK is to Gatwick. It's original purpose was to transport GSK employees between the US and UK. GSK's US HQ is in RTP. The AA flight betweeen RDU and LGW usually has a number of GSK and IBM employees on it.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 1:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All,

You must be pleased that you got your U.S. citizenship as otherwise you probably would be stuck where you are.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
The direct American Airlines flight to the UK is to Gatwick. It's original purpose was to transport GSK employees between the US and UK. GSK's US HQ is in RTP. The AA flight betweeen RDU and LGW usually has a number of GSK and IBM employees on it.
Thanks NC - Someone told me that it was to Heathrow so Gatwick makes me feel better - closer to Bromley!!
Old Jun 18th 2007, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
You must be pleased that you got your U.S. citizenship as otherwise you probably would be stuck where you are.
Oh I know immediatley that it would be much harder to return if I had left it longer than a year after moving back. At the time when I obtained my citizenship, I never thought that I'd be moving back and going through all of this, but here I am! Thank god for dual nationality.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

deniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to all

Hi Bromleygirl,

I lived in NC in 2005-06 but we decided to move back to Indiana. I'd advise staying away from very small towns. But, who knows, they probably like Brits better than yankees, lol.

If we ever move there again, and we may, we will move to the Winston Salem area. I also lived in Raleigh after college for three years and loved some things about Raleigh also. That was before the Research Triangle population blast so I'm not sure what the atmosphere is like now.

In any event, welcome. I'm new too. I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.