Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car leasing quite... Reasonable?

Car leasing quite... Reasonable?

Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car leasing quite... Reasonable?

Viking...

I think you'll find that the OP's title should read "Car Leasing Quote", not Quite.

The rest of your post is irrelevant in the OP's situation. No-one would disagree with your logic and, if you're happy driving a 13 year-old car, it makes the most financial sense. However, the OP will only be here for two years, so any long-term argument is irrelevant.

Interest rates for someone with no credit history are likely to be in the 18-20% range, so factor that into your argument and leasing starts to make sense. Also, as I stated before, the fact that you have no property to try and sell when you move back.

Not that this is an argument, but no-one is going to 'win' here. Already, the post has saved the OP in the region of $60/mo, so if we can be helpful, then so much the better. He is not looking for advice on whether or not to lease, but more the best way to get a cheaper rate.

We'd all like to live debt free (and some do), but we'd also like to live in a perfect world!!
Old Apr 25th 2013, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Viking...

I think you'll find that the OP's title should read "Car Leasing Quote", not Quite.

The rest of your post is irrelevant in the OP's situation. No-one would disagree with your logic and, if you're happy driving a 13 year-old car, it makes the most financial sense. However, the OP will only be here for two years, so any long-term argument is irrelevant.

Interest rates for someone with no credit history are likely to be in the 18-20% range, so factor that into your argument and leasing starts to make sense. Also, as I stated before, the fact that you have no property to try and sell when you move back.

Not that this is an argument, but no-one is going to 'win' here. Already, the post has saved the OP in the region of $60/mo, so if we can be helpful, then so much the better. He is not looking for advice on whether or not to lease, but more the best way to get a cheaper rate.

We'd all like to live debt free (and some do), but we'd also like to live in a perfect world!!
Thanks the quote v's quite does change things Not an argument and I agree with your comments just trying to offer up some all around good advice. As I may have alluded to already if I was here for a defined term I would most likely definitely lease. I did recently explore this option as I do need a new car and how long I was going to be here was/ is always a 'how long is a piece of string' discussion!

If it were me I would not tell them my defined time in the US. But just walk to another dealership if they will not lease at appropriate rates. Remember the power of the negotiation is in your toolbox. They (the dealer) want to rent the car to you, never succumb to the position that you need it. There is always someone else or something else that will replace/substitute for their deal.

Just checked and currently in NbytheSea:

VW Jetta S:

$159*/Month. 36-month lease. $1,999 due at signing.
Excludes title, tax, options and dealer fees.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:22 pm
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

Sorry, didn't mean to open a can of worms... Title meant to say "car leasing quote.... Reasonable?"!!!!
Old Apr 25th 2013, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Remember you can haggle with Autosource. We did, we got them to beat all the other offers we saw

We are currently leasing a Ford Escape (almost top model with leather, sat nav etc) for $248 a month (including tax), $1000 deposit, over 27 months and a 1000 mile a month limit (which is great for me as so far I am well under, in fact the husband is going to start taking it on his 100 mile a day work commute to bump it up). It was originally over 24mths but Ford changed it inbetween ordering the car and getting it, but Autosource sent us a cheque for $1000 to compensate us which is actually 4 months payments, but hey we weren't going to complain

I am a SAHM, don't have a school run as the kids get the school bus. I have the usual shopping runs, taking kids to sports and friends homes and also volunteer work.

For us it was ideal as it meant we didn't have to worry about trying to buy a car with no credit history and only having enough money to buy something that was likely to be unreliable. We now have had the 'wonderful' experience of buying a car on finance and I am so glad we leased the first one! We had just under 12 months of credit history, a very good credit score BUT for the one finance company that offered us finance another 20+ turned us down Thank goodness we only needed one to accept However the rate is a staggering 10% (soon to be renewed with a lot lower rate thank goodness). It isn't limited to our visa length (another thank goodness as we only had 2 yrs left at the time), it's over 6 yrs.

As for insurance, we signed up for AIG/Travelguard so get insurance at the best rate as if we were USC with full no claims etc. The quote's we were getting were HUGE not going through them, tbh what we pay isn't that great anyway but it's actually lower than what all of our neighbours pay

HTH.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zez
Sorry, didn't mean to open a can of worms... Title meant to say "car leasing quote.... Reasonable?"!!!!
Not at all. In fact, considering we're on the internet, it's a really civil discussion!

The end result is a clearer picture for yourself and anyone else in your position. It's not like we're getting nasty or anything. In fact, I'd even let Vikingsail buy me a beer!!!
Old Apr 25th 2013, 7:23 pm
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

It's been v useful to me! Maybe I now have to go back to international autosource with a counter offer!!!

What is AIG/ travel guard and how can it help keep my insurance down?
Old Apr 26th 2013, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Not at all. In fact, considering we're on the internet, it's a really civil discussion!

The end result is a clearer picture for yourself and anyone else in your position. It's not like we're getting nasty or anything. In fact, I'd even let Vikingsail buy me a beer!!!
Appreciate that, likewise

10% for an auto loan -sorry to hear that Wibblypig, sounds like daylight robbery to me.

Zez, I don't know your car requirements but when I was looking for a defined lease say 24 months I quite liked the look of some of the smaller cars - Nissan in particular seemed to have some excellent deals on their smaller models.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah, no credit history will do that to ya! I bought an Explorer Sport from Carmax not long after I arrived here and the best they could do was 19.9%!

Of course, once that credit history is built up, then there's no problem. I financed my '11 Ford Edge Limited back in December and got 2.04% and, if I really wanted to push it for a dollar or so a month, PenFed offered me 1.49%! Both are relatively unheard of on a used vehicle.