Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BT Landline handsets

BT Landline handsets

Old Apr 26th 2013, 11:56 am
Just Joined

anipilot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BT Landline handsets

Does anyone know if BT Landline handsets work in the US? We have a really nice handset that has a lot of our friends and family numbers stored and we are running out of time whilst on our move
Old Apr 26th 2013, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BT Landline handsets

Originally Posted by anipilot View Post
Does anyone know if BT Landline handsets work in the US? We have a really nice handset that has a lot of our friends and family numbers stored and we are running out of time whilst on our move
You'd certainly need some sort of adapter as the sockets are different here. Possible the tones used to dial numbers are different too, and I wouldn't bet on features like caller ID working. You'd also have to reprogramme all your UK contact numbers to add the US international dialling prefix.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 12:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs View Post
You'd certainly need some sort of adapter as the sockets are different here. Possible the tones used to dial numbers are different too, and I wouldn't bet on features like caller ID working. You'd also have to reprogramme all your UK contact numbers to add the US international dialling prefix.
Plus the voltage is different...I wouldn't have thought UK landline phones have dual voltage.

Anipilot...multi handset phones are as cheap as chips here.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Plus the voltage is different...I wouldn't have thought UK landline phones have dual voltage.
Yes, good point. if its a cordless or has an answerphone then you'd need to check that the power supply will work on 110V. I don't know if the operating voltage of the phone system is different between the US and the UK but it's usually pretty low so probably less of a problem.

Anipilot...multi handset phones are as cheap as chips here.
We have a lovely refurbed 1940s rotary dial phone that we brought over but we never got round to getting an adaptor as it seemed to be a huge palaver. Can't bear to part with the phone though... We rarely use our landline - only the M-i-L ever calls us on it. I use Skype on my cell phone to call the UK.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 12:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs View Post
Yes, good point. if its a cordless or has an answerphone then you'd need to check that the power supply will work on 110V. I don't know if the operating voltage of the phone system is different between the US and the UK but it's usually pretty low so probably less of a problem.

We have a lovely refurbed 1940s rotary dial phone that we brought over but we never got round to getting an adaptor as it seemed to be a huge palaver. Can't bear to part with the phone though... We rarely use our landline - only the M-i-L ever calls us on it. I use Skype on my cell phone to call the UK.
Half the stuff we brought over 17 years ago has never been used. Just got around to throwing it all out in the last few weeks.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Nokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to all

I would imagine some kids today might say " What's a land-line! "