Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance questions - the add ons for medical etc

Car Insurance questions - the add ons for medical etc

Old May 12th 2010, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Desinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud of
Default Car Insurance questions - the add ons for medical etc

Hi all,
next task - car insurance - i just want to get an idea of how much i will be spending. The excellent customer service at Chartis / AIG sent me this at the foot of the form to get an auto quote. I know some others have posed a similar question but what i am looking for is 'sleep at night' good but not belts, braces and string policy - belts and braces are enough! Any suggestions to the levels of cover I should go for please?
sorry if formatting is shot, i tried. Advice as always appreciated. Thanks

COVERAGE DESIRED

Standard Coverage *
Bodily Injury $100/300,000 person/accident

Property Damage $100,000 each accident

Personal Injury Protection Med Exp. W/250 ded, Basic

Uninsured Motorist $100/300,000 person/accident

Other Than Collision $100/250/500 Deductible

Collision $100/250/500 Deductible

Towing & Labor $75 per disablement (optional)

Extended Transportation 50/day max $1,500 (optional)
* Higher limits are available, please discuss options with a licensed agent
Use "S" to indicate suggested coverage listed at right
Old May 12th 2010, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Car Insurance questions - the add ons for medical etc

Those are about the bare minimums I'd consider... I'd go higher for bodily injury (which is not only for anyone you hit, but also passengers in your vehicle), property damage and possibly collision. Not sure what "other than collision" is.
Old May 12th 2010, 10:29 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wordfool
Not sure what "other than collision" is.
Comprehensive

fire / theft / tree falls on car / deer.
Old May 13th 2010, 1:36 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desinflorida
Hi all,
next task - car insurance - i just want to get an idea of how much i will be spending. The excellent customer service at Chartis / AIG sent me this at the foot of the form to get an auto quote. I know some others have posed a similar question but what i am looking for is 'sleep at night' good but not belts, braces and string policy - belts and braces are enough! Any suggestions to the levels of cover I should go for please?
sorry if formatting is shot, i tried. Advice as always appreciated. Thanks

COVERAGE DESIRED

Standard Coverage *
Bodily Injury $100/300,000 person/accident

Property Damage $100,000 each accident

Personal Injury Protection Med Exp. W/250 ded, Basic

Uninsured Motorist $100/300,000 person/accident

Other Than Collision $100/250/500 Deductible

Collision $100/250/500 Deductible

Towing & Labor $75 per disablement (optional)

Extended Transportation 50/day max $1,500 (optional)
* Higher limits are available, please discuss options with a licensed agent
Use "S" to indicate suggested coverage listed at right
Ask about an "umbrella" policy. If you have homeowners or renters insurance, it would be especially a good idea. An "umbrella" covers liability over your policy limits and is relatively cheap. However, you have to maintain the underlying insurance. We found in our case that is was possible to cut our liability coverage way down and then get a largish umbrella with the premium savings.

Here in California, I recommend against "med pay" as a waste of money because it covers small coverage and it is often covered already by your health insurance if you have it, and if the accident is your fault -- your liability will take care of the other people's medical expenses.

Towing? Are you a member of Auto Club [AAA]?

100/300 is a tad low these days, and a separate property damage limit of 100 per accident is WAY to low in my opinion. If you rear end the last car in a chain of four cars causing a serial collision, and ONE of those cars is a Mercedes AMG -- and you take out a guardrail or a traffic light.

The UI for 100/300 doesn't bother me all that much.
Old May 13th 2010, 7:32 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

med pay isn't really an issue in Florida as it's a part no fault state.

the umbrella is a good idea, and it also covers you worldwide..... (whereas the underlying insurance does not)
Old May 15th 2010, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Desinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud ofDesinflorida has much to be proud of

Thanks for the advice. I got a quote for a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan and a 2008 Volvo XC90 and doubled up the bodily injury and property cover from my original post. Went for $500 deductible (excess) and got quoted $430 for 6 months which I didn't consider bad at all. (both cars the same price) Ok, more than we pay in the UK but given loss of no claims bonus from the UK, i thought it was reasonable, AIG/Chartis (see previous posts) again coming up trumps. Excellent and fast customer service. We have taken out renters insurance with them too. No idea what car we will end up getting but this gives us at least an idea of pricing.
Old May 15th 2010, 7:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't think you could even get a Volvo in Florida!
Old May 17th 2010, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Yes it is a condition known as Volvo goggles, you only notice them when you get near 40 and have a selection of children to ferry around. Some of my well over 40 buddies in my local on Friday still poo poo the idea of a Volvo but there again I was drinking light and bitter in pubs as a late teenager when my mates were all on Krony so have always been sensibly mature before my time!
Old May 17th 2010, 8:36 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desinflorida
Yes it is a condition known as Volvo goggles, you only notice them when you get near 40 and have a selection of children to ferry around.
Enough of that, now!

For some of us, it's the fastest tractor on the road and nothing more.
Old May 17th 2010, 9:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Volvo...might be a bit iffy since they got flogged to China...
Old May 18th 2010, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Volvo...might be a bit iffy since they got flogged to China...
I know.
It's all over and I'll have to actually think again when it's time for a new ride.