Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance in North Carolina

Wikiposts

Car Insurance in North Carolina

Old Jan 5th 2008, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance in North Carolina

Originally Posted by Rete
I'd be interested to learn those specs as well. Here just outside of New York City (by 10 miles) we pay over $1200 every 6 months to GEICO for insurance. We have one 2007 truck and one 2005 car and one motorcycle. Of course there is a surcharge of $250 on the insurance because of an accident I had in NJ three years ago so it will that way for another 2 years.

My Canuck was placed on the policy the moment he landed in the US even with his Canadian license. Probably differs because it was an existing policy and I've been a member of GEICO for over 35 years now.
Wow - that is a lot! I think we have had this discussion on another thread but our GEICO policy is 300 and something every six months - coverage maxed out for the wife and I - only one car as mine is a company car. We are not far from you in Rye. Even with three vehicles and your surcharge it seems high to be over three times what we pay? That said the zip code, credit score and god knows how many other factors go into the magic of the insurance quote! This is the first time that GEICO quoted less that $1000 for us - we were with Allstate previously.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
No, it isn't norm. That is what uninsured motorist coverage is for.
Sorry i meant the multi car bit - didnt notice the multi driver.

Isnt it unusual to have individual car policies within a family group?

Also uninsured motorist is for people with no insurance surely?
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Big D
Sorry i meant the multi car bit - didnt notice the multi driver.

Isnt it unusual to have individual car policies within a family group?

Also uninsured motorist is for people with no insurance surely?
Generally the US system rates first on the worst driver in the household, sometimes you can specifically exclude a driver with a signed endorsement.

Uninsured/Underinsured coverage is a completely different issue, sort of a first party, third party coverage. Eagle Star used to provide it in the UK years ago, no idea if Zurich followed.

Not sure I understand maxing out your coverage, usually that means blowing through your limits, all US policies are limited.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boiler
Generally the US system rates first on the worst driver in the household, sometimes you can specifically exclude a driver with a signed endorsement.

Uninsured/Underinsured coverage is a completely different issue, sort of a first party, third party coverage. Eagle Star used to provide it in the UK years ago, no idea if Zurich followed.

Not sure I understand maxing out your coverage, usually that means blowing through your limits, all US policies are limited.
I mean that I took the maximum coverage offered
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:43 am
Account Closed

How much was that?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:46 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Something you may want to think about is a type of rider(?) on your multi line coverage. If you have your home and autos insured with one company (& maybe some life insurance too) you can add an "umbrella" policy that covers you if you go over your liability limits in an accident AND it covers you for crazy things like slander, etc....usually for minimum cost. It helps you lower your limits (and cost) on auto insurance while at the same time protecting your life's assets. To better understand it, you should talk to an experienced agent. I did this when I was married to 1st husband.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:50 am
Account Closed

Umbrela covers your liabilities.

Not related to Life Insurance, well remotely maybe if you take a hollistic approach..
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:30 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Umbrela covers your liabilities.

Not related to Life Insurance, well remotely maybe if you take a hollistic approach..
I know it is not related to life insurance. ("covers you if you go over your liability limits in an accident AND it covers you for crazy things like slander, etc....") What I meant was maybe you also have your life insurance through the same company as your auto and home insurance.