Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car insurance for new driver in USA

Car insurance for new driver in USA

Old Sep 10th 2009, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Car insurance for new driver in USA

Paid $1,400 per six months when I started having my own car insurance in 2002. Now I am on my wife's policy.... which actually lowered hers by $200/year... and I'm paying nothing.

Originally Posted by jmw236
Who was that with?
Initially with Progressive, as they were the only once that would even take me back then, after that with a series of others like Safeco, and now back on the wife's Progressive policy.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 4:52 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

I went with Allstate, who were happy to take into account my UK driving history. Mind you, I brought documented proof of it, a letter from the insurance company stating number of years with them and years of accumulated no claims, copies of old insurance certificates. (Why did I keep them? I didn't really. They just went into the household filing system when they were new each year and never got cleared out!)

That was accepted by them in PA. On moving to NY a few months later it all carried forward - once the details of having a history are on the computer they seem to follow you around quite happily.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:43 pm
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

I know this is going to sound like and advert, but .....

I saved $500 switching to geico :-) I am only here a year, so I HAVE to have my insurance company take my UK drivers license into account.
They did, and I got great coverage on my car for 6 months for $500. That is comprehensive, well at lease as comprehensive as you can get over here ...
They have only just started insuring again in MA, so I may have got a rate based on them trying to steal business from my last crowd, who also took my UK license, Liberty Mutual, but I am not complaining. I can PM you the guys email address at geico that I sent my UK license to if you want, let me know :-)
Old Sep 11th 2009, 9:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by starky
They have only just started insuring again in MA, so I may have got a rate based on them trying to steal business from my last crowd...
That would be it...but get it while you can I'd say

Oh and one bonus, your first speeding ticket doesn't count against you if your over 21, you get one freebie every 3 years before it affects your rate and if it happens in Maine, it doesn't even register.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Rebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura about

I was able to add hubby onto my insurance policy through State Farm with his UK license. They didn't care anything about no claims status from the UK. But his rate was on par with mine - no surcharges or anything.

We had tried Allstate but they wouldn't touch him without a US license.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jmw236
JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I GOT INSURED THROUGH
<link deleted as no clue where the OP lives>.

They use to be owned by AIG but Farmers just bought them.
I just moved over from Ireland and they recognised my 18 years driving over there. My wife and I got a great deal of $550 for 6 months.
Hi:

$550 for six months for what type of coverage? You don't say. Policy limits? Deductible amount? Collision? Comprehensive? Uninsured motorists? Medical?

I have a fairly high deductible on the collision/comp. My liability limits is the lowest allowed to qualify for my separate "umbrella" policy. Now my umbrella covers both homeowners and auto -- to which should I credit it to for the cost of my "auto."
Old Sep 13th 2009, 4:33 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
I went with Allstate, who were happy to take into account my UK driving history. Mind you, I brought documented proof of it, a letter from the insurance company stating number of years with them and years of accumulated no claims, copies of old insurance certificates. (Why did I keep them? I didn't really. They just went into the household filing system when they were new each year and never got cleared out!)
No they didnt .. it all a bait and switch ... I married my Allstate agent
to find out it was about ...