Reload this Page >

Car insurance for new driver in USA

Car insurance for new driver in USA

Old Aug 14th 2009, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

nikknakk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car insurance for new driver in USA

Hello,
I've just passed my California Driving license and looking around for Car insurance deals. The problem I have is that no one accepts my UK driving history or I think any other countries so I'm seen as a new driver which makes the cost into the thousands and I'm in my late 30's with a clean history for 20 years.
Any one else have suggestions of reasonable insurance companies, especially as the car is very basic and not high performance.
thanks.

Last edited by nikknakk; Aug 14th 2009 at 8:32 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance for new driver in USA

Unfortunately welcome to the USA. I had all UK Police driver qualifications but still ended up paying $1000 per six months for a smallish family saloon . thats with what is now 21st Century .. used to be AIG, some say Gieco or Progressive are good but no one here takes your UK history anymore,your now officially a snotty nosed young driver.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 8:34 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

It does depend to some extent of the State you live in but Farmers, in Oregon, accepted my UK insurance history and dropped the premiums 20%. I had to produce 2 years of insurance certificates to get it, fortunately I had kept them.

Others I'm sure have said on here they have had similar luck with other companies. Who have you tried.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 8:43 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
I had all UK Police driver qualifications but still ended up paying $1000 per six months for a smallish family saloon
That was your mistake then they knew what you drove like.

I paid $383 for the first six months on a Grand Cherokee with Farmers
Old Aug 14th 2009, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikknakk
Hello,
I've just passed my California Driving license and looking around for Car insurance deals. The problem I have is that no one accepts my UK driving history or I think any other countries so I'm seen as a new driver which makes the cost into the thousands and I'm in my late 30's with a clean history for 20 years.
Any one else have suggestions of reasonable insurance companies, especially as the car is very basic and not high performance.
thanks.
The only thing that comes to mind would be if you could have yourself put on an established family member's policy for a multi car discount or even try raising your deductible.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem I have is that no one accepts my UK driving history or I think any other countries so I'm seen as a new driver which makes the cost into the thousands and I'm in my late 30's with a clean history for 20 years.
Get over it and stump up, is unfortunately the best advice that can be given, we all have to go throught this when we arrive.

Welcome to america.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 2:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Drive a beater, get house/renter insurance with the same place, get crappy basic liability only till you've got credit history...

And don't get caught for speeding or have any accidents!!!

I still can't believe my premium just went down 8% but it's still the same sodding rate because of a side swipe which wasn't my fault, but went down as a 50/50 blame so I have 3 SID points and not the perfect driver record I had.

More annoying, the insurance down in Mass is more than twice what we were paying for the same level of coverage in Maine.

Meh.

Arseholes, the lot of 'em
Old Aug 15th 2009, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

paul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CelticRover
The only thing that comes to mind would be if you could have yourself put on an established family member's policy for a multi car discount or even try raising your deductible.
That's what I did - added to my in-laws family policy as we're currently staying with them for the time-being. It's with Allstate in CA and they did take into account my UK license and how long I'd held it for.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
That was your mistake then they knew what you drove like.

I paid $383 for the first six months on a Grand Cherokee with Farmers
Ours was with Intl Autosource and AIG originally $850 per 6 months then I got rearended and it got put up $80 for now being a risk ? and I was stationary at a red light !! then they wapped it up $120, cos of cover for uninsured idiots, doesnt look at coming down in the future with the insurance co as they are.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 1:09 am
Banned

Sonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant future

Hello,
thanks.
I found this too and was quite annoyed at the attitude of insurance companies since it didn't make much sense.

I have since discovered that in my state (NC) there is a quite problem with Mexicans and it seems that the insurance companies have decided that anyone from any other country gets tarred with the same brush.

We found Progressive gave us the best deal, but only by making my USC spouse the principal insured driver and then me added on top.
Works out to about $1500 per year for 2 cars.
When my license is 3 years old, our rates will drop.
All the others were anything from $1900-$3000+ per year, which is bonkers and which makes it not worth having a car.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Wilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sonic5
I found this too and was quite annoyed at the attitude of insurance companies since it didn't make much sense.

I have since discovered that in my state (NC) there is a quite problem with Mexicans and it seems that the insurance companies have decided that anyone from any other country gets tarred with the same brush.

We found Progressive gave us the best deal, but only by making my USC spouse the principal insured driver and then me added on top.
Works out to about $1500 per year for 2 cars.
When my license is 3 years old, our rates will drop.
All the others were anything from $1900-$3000+ per year, which is bonkers and which makes it not worth having a car.
Same here unfortunately. Although I'm 22 and driving a cheap 1999 Dodge Stratus and am paying $500 for 6 months and that is comprehensive but I was talked into it, going to go for just liability in Jan.

Just have to accept it, when my wife's parents moved to the UK from the US it was the same for them just have to start over.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

I wonder what approach with a different scenario insurance companies would take: I am a dual UKC/USC hopefully returning next year, held insurance with GEICO for 8 years and had my good driver discount, have maintained my credit record and US drivers licence. Incidently, when I moved to UK my UK insurance accepted my good driver discount from GEICO.

I think if you know that you may be relocating it is a good idea to keep all your documentation to prove that you have no claims discount/good driver discount and to only insure with a company who is prepared to accept it.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 2:54 am
Just Joined

jmw236 is an unknown quantity at this point

JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I GOT INSURED THROUGH
<link deleted as no clue where the OP lives>.

They use to be owned by AIG but Farmers just bought them.
I just moved over from Ireland and they recognised my 18 years driving over there. My wife and I got a great deal of $550 for 6 months.

Last edited by Rete; Sep 10th 2009 at 12:24 pm. Reason: removed link
Old Sep 10th 2009, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Get over it and stump up, is unfortunately the best advice that can be given, we all have to go throught this when we arrive.

This.

Paid $1,400 per six months when I started having my own car insurance in 2002. Now I am on my wife's policy.... which actually lowered hers by $200/year... and I'm paying nothing.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

jmw236 is an unknown quantity at this point

Who was that with?

Paid $1,400 per six months when I started having my own car insurance in 2002. Now I am on my wife's policy.... which actually lowered hers by $200/year... and I'm paying nothing.[/QUOTE]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.