Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car insurance on British driver's license that doesn't cost the earth?

Car insurance on British driver's license that doesn't cost the earth?

Old Mar 1st 2016, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance on British driver's license that doesn't cost the earth?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well if you will drive something that is closer to a British HGV than a car!

(Says he who drives an F250 crew cab truck. )
Well, I'm in "The South" and the J1 program was all about cultural experience

F250? My Tacoma PreRunner, even with the 4 door cab, is a baby... On a forum someone suggested I (being a Brit) should sell the Toyota, and buy a train set and a Prius instead!
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance on British driver's license that doesn't cost the earth?

Originally Posted by Hanco
Interesting... I found no interest in my uk history. I did not go to Progressive though. Does your quote/invoice show this reduction and refers to previous/UK history?
I checked my Progressive insurance documentation and it does mention my UK experience under "Years Experienced". I vividly remember entering information about my UK driving history when I got the first quote, which is how they knew the "Years Experienced" information.

Old Mar 2nd 2016, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cautiousjon
I checked my Progressive insurance documentation and it does mention my UK experience under "Years Experienced". I vividly remember entering information about my UK driving history when I got the first quote, which is how they knew the "Years Experienced" information.

http://i.imgur.com/J36BnBF.png
Thanks Jon! I'll check if this might help my insurance costs. I guess the question is, will they accept it is years of experience of "driving" or "driving in the USA" - but it may help if it is driving in general.

What it is not, I imagine, is a space for noting years of "at fault" accident free driving (though that is sadly gone in my case after a bumpb2 years ago)
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

ZanM is an unknown quantity at this point

They list my discounts as:
Paid in Full, Five-Year Accident Free, Online Signature - First Policy Period Only,
Continuous Insurance: Platinum, Paperless and Three-Year Safe Driving

So yeah, they took account of my previous driving history at progressive and have accepted my UK insurance policy officially now as proof of continuous insurance which was pretty cool. All in, it cost $750 for 6 months cover which is really not too bad at all. Geico by comparison didn't care about my UK-based past and quoted over $1700 for the same coverage. It seems it's just your luck who gets you the best offer for your situation though.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ZanM
They list my discounts as:
Paid in Full, Five-Year Accident Free, Online Signature - First Policy Period Only,
Continuous Insurance: Platinum, Paperless and Three-Year Safe Driving

So yeah, they took account of my previous driving history at progressive and have accepted my UK insurance policy officially now as proof of continuous insurance which was pretty cool. All in, it cost $750 for 6 months cover which is really not too bad at all. Geico by comparison didn't care about my UK-based past and quoted over $1700 for the same coverage. It seems it's just your luck who gets you the best offer for your situation though.
I don't feel so bad now with my AllState price (18 months on, and after one 'At Fault' bump in the early days)

$1,567 for the two of us for six months, both with our own vehicles, which are 3 and 5 years old.

Discounts they show though are: Multiple Policy, Good Payer, Antilock Brakes, and Performance.

No idea what "performance" has got me the discount. I did sing "Let Freedom Ring" (with a live choir and full orchestral backing, as part of a trio)... That was on "Freedom Sunday" as an "honorary American" last year. Cannot have been that good a performance as the total discount was $58 across the two vehicles....
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 9:40 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this article made interesting reading.
The Surprising Reasons You Pay More for Car Insurance