Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car insurance on British driver's license that doesn't cost the earth?

Car insurance on British driver's license that doesn't cost the earth?

Old Feb 24th 2016, 2:42 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance on British driver's license that doesn't cost the earth?

We changed from 21st Century to Nationwide because they were cheaper.

Something that surprised us and I mentioned it on BE was that when we exchanged our 3 year old Honda Fit for a brand new Toyota 4runner, the insurance premium went down! Group decision seemed to be that this reflected the increased safety of being in a 4runner with decreased chance of high hospital bills in case of an accident.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 2:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance on British driver's license that doesn't cost the earth?

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
..... Something that surprised us and I mentioned it on BE was that when we exchanged our 3 year old Honda Fit for a brand new Toyota 4runner, the insurance premium went down! Group decision seemed to be that this reflected the increased safety of being in a 4runner with decreased chance of high hospital bills in case of an accident.
It's also much easier to "total" a small car which is nearly all crumple-zone.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's also much easier to "total" a small car which is nearly all crumple-zone.
That used to be the case, Dodge RAM 1500s do not even have front bumpers , but are big trucks. A friend has one hit his Camry, no damage to the Camry, front end of the RAM was not a pretty sight.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 3:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
That used to be the case, Dodge RAM 1500s do not even have front bumpers, but are big trucks. A friend has one hit his Camry, no damage to the Camry, front end of the RAM was not a pretty sight.
If you're looking for a robust, well-built vehicle you probably shouldn't be looking at Chrysler Dodge Ram products.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 9:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you're in MA, the best way to save money is living in a posh, expensive town, that is well away from the NH border and have covered, off street parking available at both, home and work locations and minimise mileage to less than 5K a year. Having lo-jack type of security features and lots of airbag type safety features help too.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

ZanM is an unknown quantity at this point

In case it's any use to anyone, I've just had a car insurance quote (Florida) from Progressive reduced by $300 because I have proof of UK car insurance (as a named driver, not policyholder) covering the period up to the start date of the US policy. The guy was "99% certain" that my UK insurance wouldn't affect the quote at all, but (luckily) decided to double check and it worked out. If anyone else is in a similar situation it might be worth pushing the issue just in case it applies to other states as well (and maybe hold off on cancelling your UK insurance for a little while before you move to the USA ).
Old Mar 1st 2016, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
14 years in the US, 13 of them in NC, 460,000 miles, zero claims of any sort. .... Rear-ended three times, two were very minor taps with no damage but a paint chip, the other was a Hyundai making "firm contact" with the tow hitch receiver on my F250.
What worries me there, is that if you base that on an average of 40mph, it means you have been sat behind the wheel of a car for 479 days or 1.31 years continuously of your 14 in the USA
Old Mar 1st 2016, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
What worries me there, is that if you base that on an average of 40mph, it means you have been sat behind the wheel of a car for 479 days or 1.31 years continuously of your 14 in the USA
I think my average speed is higher (for several years my commute was only slightly less than a mile a minute), but based on hours/week I can reach an aggregate of about one year behind the wheel.

What you won't have seen unless you have read several years of my posts, is why I commute so far. My "back yard" is about five acres of woodland and clearings, with deer, squirrels, chipmunks, tortoises, rabbits, groundhogs, and all manner of birds, including two species of woodpeckers, and sapsuckers.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 1st 2016 at 10:38 am.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Well could be worse, at least you have been sat in some nice cars during that time!
Old Mar 1st 2016, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cautiousjon
I'm paying about $190 per month with Progressive for fully comprehensive insurance on my 1 year old Mazda CX5 with 1 year US no claims and 8 years UK no claims. I chose to cover myself for more than the bare minimum, and added other things like legal cover. Progressive was the cheapest company by quite a bit.

I'm hoping that the insurance will continue to get cheaper as I build up my US driving experience and US no claims, and have already saved 10% since last year.
Geico, AllState, StateFarm... All insisted UK claims history had no relevance when I was shopping around

Two of us, a 2011 pickup and a 2013 Kia saloon car. GA licenses 1 yr old. $1,300 every 6 months. I tend to agree with Pulaski, the US is not a cheap place to live as people sometimes think it is...

Last edited by Hanco; Mar 1st 2016 at 11:43 am.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
It may vary according to state laws. Some say you have to call the police if someone is injured. Your insurance company may recommend calling the police for any incident, at which point the police may decide whether it is serious enough to attend. Even if they don't attend, it can be useful to file a police report just in case the other party suddenly changes their mind on what happened.
If anyone has a rental vehicle and has a bump, definitely call for the police report. Injuries or not, just do it. Rental co's usually want this and it does mean everything is on record and undisputed later. There is a fee to pay to get the police report off the Internet later (of course there is, it's America!)

Last edited by Hanco; Mar 1st 2016 at 11:46 am.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ZanM
In case it's any use to anyone, I've just had a car insurance quote (Florida) from Progressive reduced by $300 because I have proof of UK car insurance (as a named driver, not policyholder) covering the period up to the start date of the US policy. The guy was "99% certain" that my UK insurance wouldn't affect the quote at all, but (luckily) decided to double check and it worked out. If anyone else is in a similar situation it might be worth pushing the issue just in case it applies to other states as well (and maybe hold off on cancelling your UK insurance for a little while before you move to the USA ).
Interesting... I found no interest in my uk history. I did not go to Progressive though. Does your quote/invoice show this reduction and refers to previous/UK history?

Edit: I'm in GA, not FL. States vary too I guess.

Last edited by Hanco; Mar 1st 2016 at 11:37 am. Reason: State location
Old Mar 1st 2016, 12:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hanco
Geico, AllState, StateFarm... All insisted UK claims history had no relevance when I was shopping around
It doesn't. It just means you're treated as a fresh 18 year old driver, instead of a spotty 15 year old with a permit.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
It doesn't. It just means you're treated as a fresh 18 year old driver, instead of a spotty 15 year old with a permit.
Yeah that's what we decided was the case. Then when I reversed into a parked car here after 3 months of having a truck, I decided I was driving like a spotty 15 year old

(after 11 years no claims in the UK!!)
Old Mar 1st 2016, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Hanco
Yeah that's what we decided was the case. Then when I reversed into a parked car here after 3 months of having a truck, .....
Well if you will drive something that is closer to a British HGV than a car!

(Says he who drives an F250 crew cab truck. )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.