Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car insurance

Car insurance

Old Oct 1st 2016, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
We used Liberty Mutuel for about 2 years then I hunted around and got the same bundle with Nationwide for 30% less. Then I added my teen daughter

We did the umbrella policy as well, $330 with a teen driver though. Son will be added in the new year arggghhh!
What did you find the uptick to be for a teen, PF? My son will be taking his test end this year/ start of next; the insurance company estimate it'll add about $500-600 annually. Which near enough doubles the premium, which was $729 this year for our F-150 and Ford Escape. Still, SOOOO much better than insuring teens in the UK!
Old Oct 1st 2016, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
GEICO took my no claims from the U.K. Into account when I first moved over and took insurance through them. I've had to use them for a claim when a deer decided to walk out in front of me, and I was extremely impressed with them.
we were with Progressive for (over 9) years, we never had a claim, never had an accident and always paid in full. They hiked our rates by 10% twice! I ditched them and switched to Geico, nine weeks into my new policy a 18 year old driver felt she didn't need to stop at a stop sign and pulled right out in front of me! $9000 in damages ($1000 away from car being totaled) Gieco, from me calling the at the road side to the very end of my claim, where awesome... I have been with them since and would certainly recommend them!
Old Oct 1st 2016, 11:57 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
What did you find the uptick to be for a teen, PF? My son will be taking his test end this year/ start of next; the insurance company estimate it'll add about $500-600 annually. Which near enough doubles the premium, which was $729 this year for our F-150 and Ford Escape. Still, SOOOO much better than insuring teens in the UK!
She was 18 when she got her license, it costs an extra $400 a year on the car insurance so your figures might be a bit low if your son is under 18. Using an umbrella policy made it cheaper to get higher coverage but having her on that took the cost from $210 to $330 p.a.
Old Oct 1st 2016, 2:09 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

We were an extra $100 per month for our son, he was added at 16 for a 2014 Hyundai Veloster and a 2015 Ford Edge. Just added a new car into the mix - a 2016 Buick Encore which added another $40 per month. All 3 of us are insured to drive all 3 cars. He is classed as an additional driver on our policy with good coverage - Im not sure what happens when he switches to his own policy or when it is he best time to to that? He is 18 next month.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, we just got our renewal, $97 a month for a Lexus RX350 and a Nissan Altima, both new, I'm happy with that!