Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do airport checkin counters, check the weight of Hand luggage? or pay no attention ?

Do airport checkin counters, check the weight of Hand luggage? or pay no attention ?

Old Oct 3rd 2016, 4:23 am
Just Joined

flamingate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do airport checkin counters, check the weight of Hand luggage? or pay no attention ?

(Asking for Delta airlines)

When in que at the airport for checking in your luggage,

and it is your turn, they take in your suitcase and check the weight of it, and give you their stickers to put on.

Then while you are at that point of weighing the luggage, do they usually weight the hand luggage that you are taking on board?

(I mean the big one, not handbags or laptop items)

or do not really pay attention to it? (even if it is behind the counter on your side)

previously they have not even pay attention to it at times.

I know they scan it later on through the machine, but I am asking about the point when they check in the weight.

What is your experience ? have they checked your weight of your hand luggage, at the counter where they check in your luggage?

?
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 4:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do airport checkin counters, check the weight of Hand luggage? or pay no attentio

I have never had Delta or any US airline weigh carry on bags, but I don't travel with a huge carry on that stands out, but at check in or while boarding never seen or had them weigh a carry on.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do airport checkin counters, check the weight of Hand luggage? or pay no attentio

In general no but.

Hand luggage must be small enough to pass through security x-ray machines. It must also fit in the overhead bin. You may be asked to gate check a large bag particularly for a full flight or small plane.

I have only seen those size gauge racks used once. Some security alert and one line was checking all carry on to fit. The line to the right wasn't. I rather unsubtly switched.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 8:35 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't work for Delta but did work for a competitor for many years (also an American carrier). No, we didn't *routinely* weigh or measure hand luggage/carry ons. However, if a passenger had a bag that looked far too big to be considered hand luggage, to the point where it wouldn't fit safely into the overhead bin, then we would weigh it and/or measure it and treat it as excess luggage (with the relevant fees) if necessary. But there were always exceptions. Passengers with a high loyalty status would get away with more than others. People with young children or those with medical evidence that they needed certain things for the flight, etc. If the flight is a low load they are usually more lenient too.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

I have travelled extensively and never seen hand luggage weighed, certain airlines are concerned about the size, and as some posters have mentioned have a box it has to fit in.
I am an anti hand luggage person and sit in my seat being a judgmental asshole as people try and cram big bags into little spaces, I tut constantly as I sit there all smug with my kindle and water.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 3:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I flew roundtrip on Delta to Amsterdam/JFK once ... ugh, never ever again, and no they did not weigh my carry one luggage/suitcase.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Travelled with BA several times and whereas they don't weigh the hand luggage they do have a size restriction.

Have seen personnel in the waiting area, take luggage they suspect is too big, put it into a "bin" and if it does not fit tell the traveller to check it in.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 5:22 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I just took a quick look at Delta's website regarding over weight bags.
Your choices:
turn up at the airport and hope it goes through. If it doesn't $300 fee.
Buy an extra bag in advance $100

I'd buy the extra bag if the stuff I'm taking was worth it.
Or, I'd be looking at what I could wear ... wear a sweater, wrap one around your waist. Drape a jacket over your arm. Wear the heaviest shoes! From your other post about hand luggage though it sounds like you might be already doing that though!
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

The only time I have seen hand luggage weighed was last year at CDG Paris. Never in the US. They send quite a few people back to get their 'hand' luggage to be checked in and the line was long!
Old Oct 4th 2016, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, hand luggage has a size restriction. I've never seen hand luggage weighed (not saying it doesn't happen, just never seen it). When I worked in the terminals at Heathrow, we used to get bags so heavy (especially on the Ghana and Lagos flights) that the passengers couldn't even lift them onto the X-ray machines. It was ****** ridiculous, as well as down right dangerous.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 2:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen them in a long time, so no idea if any airport still uses them, but way back in the late 90's and early 2000's pre-TSA the airlines who paid for the check points back then, placed plastic covering in front of the x-ray with a hole cut in it the size of the largest carry on permitted, bag fit it was okay, couldn't fit, had to check it.

TSA when they took over did get rid of them but not sure if they were brought back at any airport.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 2:20 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Over about the last 300 flights it has happened twice. Once a really uppity LHR security screener who just seemed to be having a bad day and the second an Emirates employee at IAD who wasn't pleased that my party of 5 checked 10 bags when they were trying to get everyone checked in for a flight to Dubai.

But otherwise, nope.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 1:06 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen everyone's hand luggage go through the sizer prior to boarding, but this is usually US domestic, smaller aircraft, higher number of business travelers. I've also had hand luggage weighed, only once, on Virgin Atlantic when flying ex-BOS (they were weighing everyone's). But mostly, as others have said, it's by exception if they spot someone who they think is taking the piss. The are some lower cost airlines that have unusually small free hand luggage allowances - never traveled on them - but made me think that they might routinely enforce so as to generate an additional revenue stream.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

As above, I've flown roughly 80 times in the last 18 months. Had it weighed maybe once, and it was a low cost. Never been weighed on international
Old Oct 6th 2016, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flamingate
(Asking for Delta airlines)...
There's a size restriction but, with a few exceptions in Asia, Delta doesn't actually have a weight restriction for carry-on baggage:

Carry-on Baggage : Delta Air Lines

CARRY-ON WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS
No maximum weight applies to carry-on baggage except in the below stations:
Singapore, Singapore - Changi International Airport (SIN) carry on should not exceed 15 lbs. (7kgs)
South Korea - Incheon International Airport (ICN) carry on should not exceed 22 lbs. (10kgs)
Beijing, China - Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK) carry on should not exceed 22 lbs. (10kgs)
Shanghai, China - Pudong International Airport (PVG) carry on should not exceed 22lbs. (10kgs)