Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car buying and Insurance options on H2B

Car buying and Insurance options on H2B

Old Feb 5th 2013, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Palmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car buying and Insurance options on H2B

Hi there, I amnew to the forums but have been reading and researching quite a bit over the last few months so please bare with me.

I will be arriving in the US (New Jersey) at the beginning of march on a H2B visa for 9 months where I will be working.

I will be living with my USC girlfriend but will be needing a car. Now I know I have no credit history and buying/insurance options are limited. I have looked into renting also but this seems like a big waste of money if it would be possible to buy or finance.

I have been reading about AIG travel Guard and will look into this and call them tomorrow to see what they can do.

I Visited a few dealerships when I was out in the US last year to see what financing options would be available. The few I spoke to seem to think it would be possible to finance with my USC girlfriend as a co-signer(Good credit History) although no specific rates were discussed.

I would be willing to enter an agreement longer than my Visa length to secure my own car and get my foot on the credit ladder. Again with my girlfriend as a co-signer hopefully this should be doable.

I have a SSN and US driving licence which I will renew on arrival next month.

Sorry for the long windedness of my post but any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Palmo; Feb 5th 2013 at 10:39 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car buying and Insurance options on H2B

Why not buy a $1500 craigslist special? Mine has served me fine for several years.

I'm sure others on this forum would be interested to hear how you came by the H-2B visa.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by henryh
Why not buy a $1500 craigslist special? Mine has served me fine for several years.

I'm sure others on this forum would be interested to hear how you came by the H-2B visa.
My car will be vital to my job as I will be using it every day to get to and from work, carrying equipment etc. I would much prefer a good reliable newer car.

My H2B visa comes via my employer where I am a football coach.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You can get a pretty decent 8-10 year old car in that price range with reasonable mileage and it would be a shit ton cheaper to insure than a new car.

Just a thought.

Either that, or google out lease buy outs and see if you can pick up someone elses remaining lease.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 12:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
You can get a pretty decent 8-10 year old car in that price range with reasonable mileage and it would be a shit ton cheaper to insure than a new car.

Just a thought.

Either that, or google out lease buy outs and see if you can pick up someone elses remaining lease.
I have also been looking at the lease buy outs, also a good option thanks. Im not looking at a brand new car ideally. looking at something 3-6 years old maybe.