Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can anyone tell me why gas is so expensive?

Can anyone tell me why gas is so expensive?

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:13 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone tell me why gas is so expensive?

One thing not yet mentioned as causing weird spikes in gas prices in the US is the lack of domestic refining capacity.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

it's just not cricket is a jewel in the roughit's just not cricket is a jewel in the roughit's just not cricket is a jewel in the roughit's just not cricket is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by basementwaj
Seriously...

No natural disasters..... No shortages.... so why is gas still going up. We are on the verge of any miner disaster pushing gas to $5 a gallon:curse:
Hopefully the price of oil will get people driving reasonably sized cars like most of the rest of the world (does anyone really need a Hummer!), and the environment may benefit as a result.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by it's just not cricket
Hopefully the price of oil will get people driving reasonably sized cars like most of the rest of the world (does anyone really need a Hummer!), and the environment may benefit as a result.
i completely agree with that... but for the rest of us driving 30-35 mpg cars and its now costing $60-$70 to fill up twice a week (up from $35-$40 a year ago) its still a big pinch!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:57 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

The short answer: Gas is expensive because oil is almost $120/bbl. When the cost of the input goes up, the cost of the output will typically increase along with it, particularly if supplies are tight as they are now.

Originally Posted by lofty79
One of the reasons that the US seems to suffer higher increases in gas prices during periods of high crude prices, is that pretty much all of the price that is paid at the pump is the raw material cost, with very little being due to taxation. In contrast to, say the UK, where a large percentage of what is paid at the pump is taxation. Therefore a spike in the cost of the raw material will have a bigger impact on overall price at the pump in the US than it will in the UK, for example.
A very good and insightful reply.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
The short answer: Gas is expensive because oil is almost $120/bbl. When the cost of the input goes up, the cost of the output will typically increase along with it, particularly if supplies are tight as they are now.

A very good and insightful reply.
i know that... but why is it $120/bbl
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

lofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to all

As a finite resourse dwindles, generally the cost goes up.

When demand outstrips supply, generally the cost goes up.

There's little to none of the "easy oil" left. What's left is extremely difficult/expensive to exploit, being in remote/deep-water locations.

Just a couple of reasons.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lofty79
As a finite resourse dwindles, generally the cost goes up.

When demand outstrips supply, generally the cost goes up.

There's little to none of the "easy oil" left. What's left is extremely difficult/expensive to exploit, being in remote/deep-water locations.

Just a couple of reasons.
i dont buy that at all. I know all about supply and demand, but are you telling me that in the last 3 weeks all the easy oil was pumped?
no way!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:11 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

A combination of increased global demand (particularly in Asia), a weak dollar, and speculators bidding up the price of oil futures in the commodity markets.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:12 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

i dont buy that at all. I know all about supply and demand, but are you telling me that in the last 3 weeks all the easy oil was pumped?
no way!
China and India. Mainly China.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
A combination of increased global demand (particularly in Asia), a weak dollar, and speculators bidding up the price of oil futures in the commodity markets.
now this is what i agree with. I just dont buy into the Asian markets increase has had that much effect in the last 3 weeks
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:29 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
It might be cheaper but any rise in price can have devastating effects on our economy.
The economy (and zoning, and new development) has been built on a foundation of straw. When you're excessively dependent on one cheap input, you're susceptible to external shock. Politicians are talking about this as if it were unprecedented or completely unforeseeable, but it's day 2 of an economics course. (Day 1 is usually spent registering and finding classrooms).
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by it's just not cricket
I'm not holding my breath. The number one complaint of new Hummer owners is... low gas mileage. If they couldn't figure that out before they bought, what hope is there?
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:35 pm
Bloody Yank

now this is what i agree with. I just dont buy into the Asian markets increase has had that much effect in the last 3 weeks
You might blame the short-term increase on speculators. The common media response is to blame supply shortfalls occurring at the moment, but I think that's a bit facile. Global demand for oil during 2007 was actually 1.4% lower than it was during 2005, when oil hit $60/bbl.

In my opinion, the price of oil would be $60-70/bbl if the war would be ended. I am going to guess that about $20 of it is due to the weak dollar (which is a byproduct of the budget deficit, which leads back to the Iraq war), and that anything above that is due to speculation (which is also symptomatic of the Iraq war.) If we could begin the withdrawal process, I would imagine that gas would end up back in the $2-2.50 range within several months.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:35 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
The economy (and zoning, and new development) has been built on a foundation of straw. When you're excessively dependent on one cheap input, you're susceptible to external shock. Politicians are talking about this as if it were unprecedented or completely unforeseeable, but it's day 2 of an economics course. (Day 1 is usually spent registering and finding classrooms).
I've stocked up on ammunition ...and rice.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Exactly why an expensive gas/petrol policy makes sense imo. It encourages conservation/fuel efficiency and external shocks are less pronounced.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.