Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can anyone tell me why gas is so expensive?

Can anyone tell me why gas is so expensive?

Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:57 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone tell me why gas is so expensive?

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/01/news...xxon_earnings/

That's not even a single quarter's profit for Exxon.
Spending two months' worth of profits on a single facility that (a) refines very little fuel and (b) does not allow them to charge a single cent more for the fuel that they produce is not an expenditure that they would be eager to make.

That's the sort of thing that a company will do when it has to, not because it wants to. It will defer investments like that as long as possible, because they aren't very lucrative.

They would rather commit the money to exploration and getting new sources of oil, because that's what will make them money in the future.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Front page of one of the tabloids today is leading to an article where diesel is £1.45 a gallon in one or two UK petrol stations. Now isn't that something like $14 a gallon?
Old Apr 24th 2008, 11:45 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Front page of one of the tabloids today is leading to an article where diesel is £1.45 a gallon in one or two UK petrol stations. Now isn't that something like $14 a gallon?
That would read $10.83 7/10ths at your neighborhood gas station. Ouch.

At least we know that this can't happen here. (The pumps stop at $9.99 9/10th's here.)

FWIW, the average is supposedly 118.7p, which works out to be a more modest $8.87/ gallon.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 11:47 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Did you mean a litre?
Old Apr 24th 2008, 11:49 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
Did you mean a litre?
The bloke hasn't a clue on what he means. Poor thing.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
Did you mean a litre?
D'uh..yeah...I guess I was dreaming for a minute.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ugacrew
The bloke hasn't a clue on what he means. Poor thing.
We all know google is your friend.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 11:55 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

We all know google is your friend.
And you have a problem with that why?
Old Apr 24th 2008, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
That would read $10.83 7/10ths at your neighborhood gas station. Ouch.

At least we know that this can't happen here. (The pumps stop at $9.99 9/10th's here.)

FWIW, the average is supposedly 118.7p, which works out to be a more modest $8.87/ gallon.
I've not seen it for under £1.20 a gallon in the 3 weeks Ive been here and that was cheapo welfare diesel at the Supermarket.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

And you have a problem with that why?
Because we can google ourselves and dont need someone to constantly come in with an obviously googled piece of information, not providing the link, and thus trying to palm it of as their own wealth of knowledge.

We can use Wikipedia too.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:00 am
Riding on silver wings

Because we can google ourselves and dont need someone to constantly come in with an obvious googled piece of information, not providing the link, and thus trying to palm it of as their own wealth of knowledge.

We can use Wikipedia too.
Then why don't you beat me to it then. Don't fault me on knowing where to go for information. I've been doing this for years and have become quite good at it. Being armed with correct knowledge is one thing. Having it come from your ass is another.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:06 am
Account Closed

Then why don't you beat me to it then. Don't fault me on knowing where to go for information. I've been doing this for years and have become quite good at it. Being armed with correct knowledge is one thing. Having it come from your ass is another.
Because if every fucker here googled every topic (as you do) it would become bloody boring and the googler would end up looking like a condescending know-it-all, it would make BE look like a technical manual or a dictionary and their would be little human elements left.

and I'm too lazy and don't care enough about half the tripe posted on here to run off and google for teacher for an imaginary gold star.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:12 am
Riding on silver wings

Because if every fucker here googled every topic (as you do) it would become bloody boring and the googler would end up looking like a condescending know-it-all, it would make BE look like a technical manual or a dictionary and their would be little human elements left.

and I'm too lazy and don't care enough about half the tripe posted on here to run off and google for teacher for an imaginary gold star.
Is anyone who can challenge you mentally considered a condescending know-it-all? Come on now. As for making BE looking like a tech manual, that couldn't be further from the truth. If anything it's all sex, sex, the US sucks, the UK is great, sex, and more sex.

Besides, I'm known to retain information once I learn it. Not everything that I say here comes from the internet. It comes from upstairs. I'm pretty damned smart and not afraid to let anyone know it when appropriate. I'm certainly not going to let you hold me back from stating something if I know it. That would change me from, oh what was it that you said, condescending, to a fucking wimp. That's not my style.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:25 am
Account Closed

Is anyone who can challenge you mentally considered a condescending know-it-all? Come on now. As for making BE looking like a tech manual, that couldn't be further from the truth. If anything it's all sex, sex, the US sucks, the UK is great, sex, and more sex.
How dare you!!!! We're British you know!!!!

Besides, I'm known to retain information once I learn it. Not everything that I say here comes from the internet. It comes from upstairs. I'm pretty damned smart and not afraid to let anyone know it when appropriate. I'm certainly not going to let you hold me back from stating something if I know it. That would change me from, oh what was it that you said, condescending, to a fucking wimp. That's not my style.
I never said you weren't smart, you obviously are and I never said stop posting your opinions, however I do find the posts that are so obviously googled to be a total bore, devoid of humour and a complete snoozefest, but hey!! If you want to bore people into submission be my guest. They also kill off a good fight and thats never good.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:28 am
Riding on silver wings

How dare you!!!! We're British you know!!!!

I never said you weren't smart, you obviously are and I never said stop posting your opinions, however I do find the posts that are so obviously googled to be a total bore, devoid of humour and a complete snoozefest, but hey!! If you want to bore people into submission be my guest. They also kill off a good fight and thats never good.
Why thank you OP! Come'ere and lemme give you a big sloppy wet kiss. After all you are British and so sex is not far from the mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.