British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   California or Florida (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/california-florida-735776/)

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 19th 2011 11:28 pm

Re: California or Florida

Originally Posted by Havnfun (Post 9684749)
If your E2 Visa has been approved didn't you have to define the location of the business in the application? What is the business? Would it do better in California or Florida?

We chose California (Orange County) partly because we have family here and had visited many times over a period of 14 years before making the decision to move. We love California and you couldn't pay me to move to Florida. I hate heat, humidity and bugs:)

I asked that a page or so back, most unusual.

Bob Oct 19th 2011 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by keys (Post 9684737)
Hi Bob,
Thanks for your unfortunate remark, as if you have truly gone through past posts on this topic, you would have noticed it came from a family of three children with an E2 visa application trying to take a life transforming decision between Florida and California which is more family friendly, best for the kids education and has better prospect for a professional with banking and finance background. Any positive contribution from your own rich personal experience will be well appreciated by myself and husband, as we believe in the multitude of good counsel, there is safety.
We have been on holiday to these places, but l also know that there is a difference between flying in to holiday and flying in to stay a little longer, and that is why hearing from people who are already on ground in these states/cities are so vital. And by the way our E2 visa has just been approved.

I'm not the one asking questions of people am I, so why would I go to the effort of looking for the back story to give you the info you want from the initial post?

And still, without anyone knowing the answer to the questions I put up, anything you are looking for in a answer is still meaningless.

How good the schools are in one part of Miami, never mind in Orlando will mean squat compared to California without some vague idea of where you are interested in.

It really is that different being in one part of the city, never mind compared to another city, and another state.

No point in someone recommending a nice area in San Fran if the housing is going to be way out of your budget.

So again, it's way to open ended to be of any help to you unless you've got more specifics to offer people.

Karen68 Oct 20th 2011 12:08 am

I have had a quick look at your posts and can't see anywhere where you detail what you actually want to do once you're here. It will be difficult for people to give you guidance if you don't give them something more concrete to go on, e.g. If you're looking to use your financial background to set up a financial advice business, perhaps Florida may be a better bet because there are lots of expats there who may like to deal with someone British (although presumably there would be some kind of qualifications to pass?!). Plus, one man's meat is another man's poison, as they say, with regard to where you could live.

I live in neither Florida nor California so can't help you there. North Carolina, I understand has a thriving financial industry in the Charlotte area. Having two kids in school here myself, the most important thing for me would be balancing business prospects with a top rate school system, as educational standards vary widely. Also, don't forget that it costs an absolute fortune to send your kids to college out here if you're not citizens or Green Card holders.

Personally if it was my family that was making a transition like this (and ours wasn't; my husband was transferred out here by his British employers) I would do massive amounts of research and invest some cash in sending my husband out to actually go and see the places we were thinking of settling in. It's a lot less expensive than moving somewhere and then finding out you hate it.

Good luck anyway!

N1cky Oct 20th 2011 12:31 am

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your unfortunate remark, as if you have truly gone through past posts on this topic, you would have noticed it came from a family of three children with an E2 visa application trying to take a life transforming decision between Florida and California which is more family friendly, best for the kids education and has better prospect for a professional with banking and finance background. Any positive contribution from your own rich personal experience will be well appreciated by myself and husband, as we believe in the multitude of good counsel, there is safety.
We have been on holiday to these places, but l also know that there is a difference between flying in to holiday and flying in to stay a little longer, and that is why hearing from people who are already on ground in these states/cities are so vital. And by the way our E2 visa has just been approved.

Well after the recent thread about regs being rude to newbies, this is a nice turnaround with a newbie being snippy with someone who is trying to help them:rolleyes:

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 20th 2011 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Karen68 (Post 9684803)
I have had a quick look at your posts and can't see anywhere where you detail what you actually want to do once you're here. It will be difficult for people to give you guidance if you don't give them something more concrete to go on, e.g. If you're looking to use your financial background to set up a financial advice business, perhaps Florida may be a better bet because there are lots of expats there who may like to deal with someone British (although presumably there would be some kind of qualifications to pass?!). Plus, one man's meat is another man's poison, as they say, with regard to where you could live.

I live in neither Florida nor California so can't help you there. North Carolina, I understand has a thriving financial industry in the Charlotte area. Having two kids in school here myself, the most important thing for me would be balancing business prospects with a top rate school system, as educational standards vary widely. Also, don't forget that it costs an absolute fortune to send your kids to college out here if you're not citizens or Green Card holders.

Personally if it was my family that was making a transition like this (and ours wasn't; my husband was transferred out here by his British employers) I would do massive amounts of research and invest some cash in sending my husband out to actually go and see the places we were thinking of settling in. It's a lot less expensive than moving somewhere and then finding out you hate it.

Good luck anyway!

They are on an E2 so the children will age out at 21, no GC or USC status.

ian-mstm Oct 20th 2011 12:41 am

... it came from a family of three children with an E2 visa application trying to take a life transforming decision between Florida and California which is more family friendly, best for the kids education and has better prospect for a professional with banking and finance background.

As difficult as it may be for you to understand, your questions about where to live have nothing whatsoever to do with immigration, but rather your personal choice. In that respect, I have to agree with Bob... and this thread should be moved to the USA forum - because it's not related to immigration.

You'll thank me later for being blunt. Well, perhaps not.

Ian

Karen68 Oct 20th 2011 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 9684833)
They are on an E2 so the children will age out at 21, no GC or USC status.

Oh, okay. They can never apply for Green Cards on this type of visa? Hope their kids are good at sports! (scholarships).

Bob Oct 20th 2011 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Karen68 (Post 9684844)
Oh, okay. They can never apply for Green Cards on this type of visa? Hope their kids are good at sports! (scholarships).

Not directly, no. Either get the business into a state where they can get EB5, the million dollar Greencard....or the tangent of getting it into such a shit state that they are then there to save the 10 jobs from being lost. Or spouse getting a job else where which leads to a greencard sponsorship, that kind of thing.

For the kids, you've hit the nail on the head, that or head back to the UK, but then college by then probably won't be much cheaper as they wouldn't qualify for local rates, but international rates as they wouldn't have the 3 years UK/EU residence for the prior 3 years of entering uni.

Either way, the OP didn't ask or want to know about this, so no doubt I'm going to be thought of being rude, yet again :rolleyes:

fatbrit Oct 20th 2011 1:07 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9684864)
Either way, the OP didn't ask or want to know about this, so no doubt I'm going to be thought of being rude, yet again :rolleyes:

CA or FL -- those are our choices. I'm going with CA myself. Perhaps we could do a poll?

AdobePinon Oct 20th 2011 1:14 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9684871)
CA or FL -- those are our choices. I'm going with CA myself. Perhaps we could do a poll?

You are right, of course. So, CA it is. Want to be pre-emptive, and start a vote on county?

Karen68 Oct 20th 2011 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9684864)
For the kids, you've hit the nail on the head, that or head back to the UK, but then college by then probably won't be much cheaper as they wouldn't qualify for local rates, but international rates as they wouldn't have the 3 years UK/EU residence for the prior 3 years of entering uni.

The not qualifying for home/instate fees thing is a pain. Once it became apparent that we were going to be here for longer than the two years originally scheduled, we had a bit of a panic. Our older child was just about to start High School, and as the US/UK systems aren't compatible it quickly became clear that we would be stuck here until our younger one had finished high school also. That obviously leads on to US college, and when we saw what we would be paying as visa holders, my hubby got onto his employers to get the Green Card process going asap!

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 20th 2011 1:20 am

CA 2
FL 0

Sally Redux Oct 20th 2011 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 9684892)
CA 2
FL 0

I vote CA.

Can't believe I said that :lol:

fatbrit Oct 20th 2011 1:25 am

Originally Posted by AdobePinon (Post 9684883)
Want to be pre-emptive, and start a vote on county?

Needless complication to simple solution.

crg Oct 20th 2011 12:18 pm

Hi Everyone,

Can you please confirm from your personal opinion and experience, which is the best place to stay and live between east of the Mississippi and west of the Mississippi? Good schools are important to us. Everybody’s opinion and contribution is highly appreciated. Which of these two areas is more relevant to us and has the edge for a family with children and a lower crime level.

Thanks in advance. ;)