Reload this Page >

California or Florida

California or Florida

Old Oct 15th 2011, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

keys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default California or Florida

Hi Everyone,
Can you please confirm from your personal opinion and experience, which is the best place to stay and live between California and Florida for a family with three children of 8years 10years and 13years, so good school is important to us, but also with a finance professional background who has worked within the banking and finance industry. Everybody’s opinion and contribution is highly appreciated. Which of these two states is more relevant to us and has the edge for a family with children and a lower crime level.
Thanks in advance
Old Oct 15th 2011, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

cowtowntaff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: California or Florida

Originally Posted by keys
Hi Everyone,
Can you please confirm from your personal opinion and experience, which is the best place to stay and live between California and Florida for a family with three children of 8years 10years and 13years, so good school is important to us, but also with a finance professional background who has worked within the banking and finance industry. Everybody’s opinion and contribution is highly appreciated. Which of these two states is more relevant to us and has the edge for a family with children and a lower crime level.
Thanks in advance
I personally think it is very important to visit anywhere you intend to immigrate in person so I would try and go to the USA for a couple of weeks and check out both states. You are talking quite big areas here so I would narrow things down to cities, not states as well.

From my personal experience of LA and Miami, I would say that California is a bit better to live in with better professional prospects, but costs and taxes are higher.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cowtowntaff
I personally think it is very important to visit anywhere you intend to immigrate in person so I would try and go to the USA for a couple of weeks and check out both states. You are talking quite big areas here so I would narrow things down to cities, not states as well.

From my personal experience of LA and Miami, I would say that California is a bit better to live in with better professional prospects, but costs and taxes are higher.
To be honest not sure if I would want to live in either. Given the choice CA.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 9:03 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
To be honest not sure if I would want to live in either. Given the choice CA.
Me too.
For Finance I might choose San Francisco, it seems pretty family friendly we like to spend a couple of days there at a time and love the shopping
Old Oct 15th 2011, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Each state is quite large, so generalisations about crime and schools are rather difficult to make.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Each state is quite large, so generalisations about crime and schools are rather difficult to make.
Very true, but when people ask extremely general questions like this about where would be a "good place to live" along with virtually no relevant information on which to base a recommendation I usually suggest Woodside, CA
Old Oct 15th 2011, 9:51 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,
Thanks in advance
Looking at previous posts: prospective E2 visa, three children (eldest is 8 years from aging out), and the USA consists solely of CA or FL. You really couldn't make this stuff up.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Very true, but when people ask extremely general questions like this about where would be a "good place to live" along with virtually no relevant information on which to base a recommendation I usually suggest Woodside, CA
Sounds hideous
Old Oct 15th 2011, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Looking at previous posts: prospective E2 visa, three children (eldest is 8 years from aging out), and the USA consists solely of CA or FL. You really couldn't make this stuff up.
There is a Disney in France now.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Can you please confirm from your personal opinion and experience, which is the best place to stay and live between California and Florida for a family with three children of 8years 10years and 13years, so good school is important to us, but also with a finance professional background who has worked within the banking and finance industry.
I recommend Kentucky - it meets all of your criteria and is nicely located between California and Florida.

Ian
Old Oct 16th 2011, 12:13 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Florida is pretty much one big trailer park, so start there. If you don't like it there you can just uproot the pink flamingo lawn ornament, throw it in the ole double wide and tow it all to California.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 12:18 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would say Florida, only because its a darn sight closer to Blighty if you need to go back for what ever reasons...plus 3 kids airfares travel time etc
Old Oct 16th 2011, 12:58 am
Just Joined

keys is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you all Californians sound and respond like these, then it will be a scary place live, l better head to Florida fast...
Old Oct 16th 2011, 1:19 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you all Californians sound and respond like these, then it will be a scary place live, l better head to Florida fast...
If I had my 'druthers, I'd choose California over Florida. CA is less humid, in my opinion. I can't stand humidity.

Rene
Old Oct 16th 2011, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

OK - let me try to be more helpful.

For me the answer was and still is California - I have visited Florida a number of times and could not possibly live there - the climate (heat and humidity) alone rules it out for me.

If you hope to get a good education for your children from the public school system then it will depend on exactly where you live - right down to which side of the street - because the schools are all zoned geographically - as such Florida vs California doesn't tell you anything useful. If you are looking at private schools then I am sure that you can find good ones in both places, but they will be expensive.

Downsides to California include, but are not limited to, high state income tax, excessive regulation of businesses at all levels and the fact that the state is pretty much bankrupt. Not sure that Florida is really that much better though ...

Last edited by md95065; Oct 16th 2011 at 2:16 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.