British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   California or Florida (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/california-florida-735776/)

keys Oct 15th 2011 8:24 pm

California or Florida

Hi Everyone,
Can you please confirm from your personal opinion and experience, which is the best place to stay and live between California and Florida for a family with three children of 8years 10years and 13years, so good school is important to us, but also with a finance professional background who has worked within the banking and finance industry. Everybody’s opinion and contribution is highly appreciated. Which of these two states is more relevant to us and has the edge for a family with children and a lower crime level.
Thanks in advance

cowtowntaff Oct 15th 2011 8:43 pm

Re: California or Florida

Originally Posted by keys (Post 9676765)
Hi Everyone,
Can you please confirm from your personal opinion and experience, which is the best place to stay and live between California and Florida for a family with three children of 8years 10years and 13years, so good school is important to us, but also with a finance professional background who has worked within the banking and finance industry. Everybody’s opinion and contribution is highly appreciated. Which of these two states is more relevant to us and has the edge for a family with children and a lower crime level.
Thanks in advance

I personally think it is very important to visit anywhere you intend to immigrate in person so I would try and go to the USA for a couple of weeks and check out both states. You are talking quite big areas here so I would narrow things down to cities, not states as well.

From my personal experience of LA and Miami, I would say that California is a bit better to live in with better professional prospects, but costs and taxes are higher.

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 15th 2011 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by cowtowntaff (Post 9676797)
I personally think it is very important to visit anywhere you intend to immigrate in person so I would try and go to the USA for a couple of weeks and check out both states. You are talking quite big areas here so I would narrow things down to cities, not states as well.

From my personal experience of LA and Miami, I would say that California is a bit better to live in with better professional prospects, but costs and taxes are higher.

To be honest not sure if I would want to live in either. Given the choice CA.

Mummy in the foothills Oct 15th 2011 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 9676820)
To be honest not sure if I would want to live in either. Given the choice CA.

Me too.;)
For Finance I might choose San Francisco, it seems pretty family friendly we like to spend a couple of days there at a time and love the shopping :lol:

Sally Redux Oct 15th 2011 9:07 pm

Each state is quite large, so generalisations about crime and schools are rather difficult to make.

md95065 Oct 15th 2011 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9676831)
Each state is quite large, so generalisations about crime and schools are rather difficult to make.

Very true, but when people ask extremely general questions like this about where would be a "good place to live" along with virtually no relevant information on which to base a recommendation I usually suggest Woodside, CA :unsure:

fatbrit Oct 15th 2011 9:51 pm

Hi Everyone,
Thanks in advance

Looking at previous posts: prospective E2 visa, three children (eldest is 8 years from aging out), and the USA consists solely of CA or FL. You really couldn't make this stuff up.

Sally Redux Oct 15th 2011 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 9676842)
Very true, but when people ask extremely general questions like this about where would be a "good place to live" along with virtually no relevant information on which to base a recommendation I usually suggest Woodside, CA :unsure:

Sounds hideous :lol:

Sally Redux Oct 15th 2011 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9676888)
Looking at previous posts: prospective E2 visa, three children (eldest is 8 years from aging out), and the USA consists solely of CA or FL. You really couldn't make this stuff up.

There is a Disney in France now.

ian-mstm Oct 15th 2011 11:53 pm

Can you please confirm from your personal opinion and experience, which is the best place to stay and live between California and Florida for a family with three children of 8years 10years and 13years, so good school is important to us, but also with a finance professional background who has worked within the banking and finance industry.

I recommend Kentucky - it meets all of your criteria and is nicely located between California and Florida.

Ian

crg Oct 16th 2011 12:13 am

Florida is pretty much one big trailer park, so start there. If you don't like it there you can just uproot the pink flamingo lawn ornament, throw it in the ole double wide and tow it all to California.

Poppy girl Oct 16th 2011 12:18 am

Personally I would say Florida, only because its a darn sight closer to Blighty if you need to go back for what ever reasons...plus 3 kids airfares travel time etc

keys Oct 16th 2011 12:58 am

Do you all Californians sound and respond like these, then it will be a scary place live, l better head to Florida fast...

Noorah101 Oct 16th 2011 1:19 am

Originally Posted by keys (Post 9677101)
Do you all Californians sound and respond like these, then it will be a scary place live, l better head to Florida fast...

If I had my 'druthers, I'd choose California over Florida. CA is less humid, in my opinion. I can't stand humidity.

Rene

md95065 Oct 16th 2011 2:14 am

Originally Posted by keys (Post 9677101)

OK - let me try to be more helpful.

For me the answer was and still is California - I have visited Florida a number of times and could not possibly live there - the climate (heat and humidity) alone rules it out for me.

If you hope to get a good education for your children from the public school system then it will depend on exactly where you live - right down to which side of the street - because the schools are all zoned geographically - as such Florida vs California doesn't tell you anything useful. If you are looking at private schools then I am sure that you can find good ones in both places, but they will be expensive.

Downsides to California include, but are not limited to, high state income tax, excessive regulation of businesses at all levels and the fact that the state is pretty much bankrupt. Not sure that Florida is really that much better though ...