Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

California driving test

California driving test

Old Jan 16th 2015, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California driving test

I like all these responses on what to do for a CA test. But they seem to miss the final step that most drivers out here have taken, i.e.

One you've passed, immediately forget everything you learned.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan17
One you've passed, immediately forget everything you learned.
That rule applies the world over not just California.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 9:55 am
Just Joined

laurawebber is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks everyone for all your great tips and replies. I will order the california driver's handbook and start swotting!
Old Jan 16th 2015, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Does that apply equally to those in lawful status but without an SSN i.e. those on H-4's who currently have to prove they can't get an SSN?
I didn't have to prove I couldn't get a SSN. I just ticked the 'no SSN' box and showed them my visa.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laurawebber
thanks everyone for all your great tips and replies. I will order the california driver's handbook and start swotting!
Read it for free online or pick up a free copy at the DMV. You don't need to pay for it!
Old Jan 16th 2015, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alan17
Using ones friend (Google) ......

Unlike traditional driver’s licenses for citizens, undocumented workers will receive a license that states “Driving Privileges Only,” meaning that it cannot be used as a form of identification, to obtain employment, board an airplane, open a bank account or receive other public benefits.

So if you're on an H4 you would continue to do whatever you have to do now. But you wouldn't want a license with that phrase on it if you didn't have to!
Just checked my license and on the back it says "This license is issued as a license to drive a motor vehicle: it does not establish eligibility for employment, voter registration or public benefits."

Et Voila. We H4-visa-from-hellers are lumped in with the undocumented migrants. In fact, they probably have more rights (and good luck to them, at least I have the option to leave!)
Old Jan 24th 2015, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

IlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond repute

And the written questions are all on YouTube on the CA DMV channel. All the current questions are in there so it will definitely help your swotting. As a foreigner you have to do the extended written test (around 40 questions) but my practical test was around 10 minutes. I did take a lesson before as I hadn't really driven for 3 years or so and was a bit rusty. Made me feel much better to have a lesson under my belt.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 1:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IlAlfie
....... my practical test was around 10 minutes. I did take a lesson before as I hadn't really driven for 3 years or so and was a bit rusty. .....
Over-achiever!
Old Jan 29th 2015, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

laurawebber is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IlAlfie
And the written questions are all on YouTube on the CA DMV channel. All the current questions are in there so it will definitely help your swotting. As a foreigner you have to do the extended written test (around 40 questions) but my practical test was around 10 minutes. I did take a lesson before as I hadn't really driven for 3 years or so and was a bit rusty. Made me feel much better to have a lesson under my belt.
Thank you Alfie, and everyone else. Not long now until I head over! Have got the books and now just need to swot up!
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 2:31 am
Just Joined

Jben04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not too sure if this will be of any help, as 'im living in South Carolina.
Did my Drivers few years back,, took it on out Ford econoline E150 conversion van,, passed with flying colours, found it to be very easy, im sure you'll have no problems, hardest thing for me was getting used to the terrible drivers lol ,
good luck
Old Feb 26th 2015, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

rjm_cmyk is an unknown quantity at this point

Small but important point. You will only get licensed for the validity of your immigration document and then only if you've got more than 60 days to run. I came in on a K1 so had my I-94 to use. As I delayed getting the licence beyond 30 days they wouldn't give me a licence until I got my GC (might have managed it with an EAD).

As it was I er, used my UK licence for a little longer than planned/legal.