Reload this Page >

California driving test

California driving test

Old Jan 14th 2015, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

laurawebber is an unknown quantity at this point
Default California driving test

Hi

Please would anyone be kind enough to tell me what the driving test to obtain a California driving licence entails? I have a UK licence but am moving to California in 8 weeks and understand I will have to apply to take a new test - as I last took a test over 15 years ago (although I drive in the UK every day!), I am a little nervous and wonder if I should book some lessons first?...
Many thanks
Old Jan 14th 2015, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California driving test

Take a look at the California DMV 'new driver' section:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/dmv/dl/newdriver

The DMV will need to see your Social Security number.

You'll typically need to do a written test (rules of the road), followed by a quick practical driving test.

A quick lesson (30 to 45 minutes) before the actual test is usually enough to pass.

Some of the CA residents can chime in with their experience, as I am familiar with the process for NY state.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Really on the list of possible things to loose sleep over, the California driving test comes somewhere near the bottom.

Its 10 years ago when I did mine, but I don't think its changed.

There is the theory test, multiple choice questions done on a computer. I spent a couple of days swatting up on the California drivers manual but I think I could have passed OK if I had gone in cold. Most of it really is common sense. Only thing to really swat up on is hand signals - they seemed a bit obsessed on those.

Then there was an eyesight test - reading a license plate stuck on the wall in the office.

Then the driving test itself was almost a non event, drive out of the test center parking lot, turn left at the lights, up and down a couple of residential streets being careful to observe the speed limits, stop at a stop sign, back to the test center and park in a bay that you could fit a bus in.

That's it.

The hardest part was getting through the badly designed buggy crap online system you had to use to book your appointments. And having the patience to sit and wait for your number to be called.

Oh - and if you take your test in a rental car you supposedly need proof of insurance. Avis charged me $15 for a letter authorizing me to use one of their cars for my test - but the DMV never asked for it.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 2:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know what a steering wheel looks like and how to use it? If "yes", you'll be fine, and better prepared for driving than some Americans.

Honestly, US driving tests are a joke, and if you've been driving regularly in the UK you'll be fine.
Originally Posted by AlphaTangoMike
..... A quick lesson (30 to 45 minutes) before the actual test is usually enough to pass. .....
I wouldn't bother with a lesson if you are even a moderately experienced driver; your test is going to be ten minutes driving around a couple of blocks, and probably a parallel parking manoeuvre into a "space" big enough to park an articulated lorry. Just be sure to come to a complete stop at any stop signs, and at red lights if you have a right-on-red situation. And make sure you know the common road signs - things like a railroad crossing and a school, and the rules for stopping when a school bus is stopped with its red lights flashing. I don't know about CA but most states expect you to know about the drink driving laws and penalties.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 14th 2015 at 4:41 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

laurawebber is an unknown quantity at this point

That's all very helpful, thanks so much for your replies. So much to do, cant wait to actually move now!!
Old Jan 14th 2015, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Just be aware directionals (indicators) seem to be an optional extra here.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
To have any use they require other drivers to have their eyes open.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 3:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fozzyb
To have any use they require other drivers to have their eyes open and not be txting on their phone.
FIFY
Old Jan 14th 2015, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Do you know what a steering wheel looks like and how to use it?
No trick questions.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I did mine last year. Google and read the California Drivers handbook. This will be the most difficult part of the test. Pay particular attention to the booze questions. The written test is t difficult, it's multiple choice, but there are some differences to stuff in the UK.
The behind the wheel test is nothing short of a joke! I had to drive 2 or 3 blocks. All in residential 25mph areas. There were a lot of stop signs on the route and those digital check your speed boards. That gives you an idea on what they are looking for. My manouver was to reverse in a straightline for 10 feet which any monkey could do. I did drop a point for not looking over my shoulder when turning right via a cycle lane which is a stupid rule anyway unles you are in extremely slow moving traffic. As said earlier, in your list of stuff to stress about, the driving test should really be near the bottom of your list
Old Jan 14th 2015, 5:05 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
Hmm, I've long noted that Mercedes Benz sells cars without turn signals. Just an idle observation. The BMW and VW we own has them as does daughter's Mini.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

The newer BMW's seem to lack them, or maybe just the ones I saw in Beverly Hills yesterday.

Maybe it's an option?
Old Jan 14th 2015, 5:51 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, as of January 1, 2015, DMV is now processing "AB60" driver's licenses for those who are not authorized to be present in the United States. Although California DMV has opened up new offices to process the increased number of applications, this may cause delays.

I just renewed my D/L and had to go in since I was not eligible for renewal by mail this time. The eye test was not "just reading a license plate on the wall." I did have to read a chart with lines getting smaller. With glasses I was able to read the bottom line, so no problem. They also now want an electronic fingerprint. [I had to give an inked thumbprint nearly 50 years ago, but I digress].

I have not taken the driving test since my initial one at age 16. My daughters took the test in the late 90's. I can say that they are pretty strict with teenagers these days. One thing I remember is that observation of any moving violation is an automatic failure! I remember that the Pasadena office had trick intersection which had an offset to enter the freeway. If one went straight, there was an illegal lane change!
Old Jan 15th 2015, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

After you take your written test, make sure they give you a temporary driver's license and not a driving permit. Since you have a UK driver's license, you are eligible for the California temporary driver's license when you pass the written test.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 3:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

As bad as some drivers in the US might be, they are perfect compared to what has to be dealt with in my area here in BC where people, going to the US is a dream day for driving.....

On my commute which takes about an hour each way, and driving around for 10 hours during my shift, I have noticed a few things.

BMW drivers overall are the worst.

Mercedes drivers are better but still bad.

Large truck drivers (F250 and Ram type) drive 120+ (km) and think they own the road.

Porsche drivers are just down right arrogant.

I see a lot of Porsche SUV's, BMW's, and Mercedes in a day, and they are also the most likely to not pay for their parking and to get a ticket.

I haven't taken the California test in eon's, 18 or `19 years ago, but it wasn't hard back then and I doubt it is today. The hardest part was the written test simply because they put in trick answers to confuse you, but I still got a 100.

The driving test was like 5 minutes, right turn out of the DMV parking lot, right turn down the street, right turn onto the freeway, exit the next stop, right turn off the freeway, back to the DMV parking lot.

Not even sure why they waste time with the actual driving part.

I am not sure I'd want to do the test here in BC though, its like an hour long but people still can't drive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.